You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC Point Limit

Kyle Rodgers 910155

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I've been trying to push the realism limits of our sector file here at the ARTCC that I'm the facilities guy for. Part of that is working on good GEO/REGIONS for the local guys, and VidMaps for the Radar/Enroute guys. While I know vSTARS will be different, I'd still like to support VRC, so I have a few questions:

1 - Is there a limit to the number of points in the GEO? If so, what is it?

2 - Is there a limit to the number of points able to be stored as NDBs? If so, what is it?

So far, I haven't found the GEO to be argumentative and this is the general level of detail going into the airports in my next release (colors and runway bars in development in this shot, so it's not the final version):

IAD.JPG

Fortunately, with the VidMaps, there's a lot more optimization that can be done, since the points are repeated a good bit from map to map (at least in the TRACON I'm working with).

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 - Is there a limit to the number of points in the GEO? If so, what is it?

2 - Is there a limit to the number of points able to be stored as NDBs? If so, what is it?

These are limited only by your system RAM and video RAM. It's unlikely you'll run into the limit with modern hardware, and before you did, you'd likely see performance degrade to unacceptable levels anyway.

Fortunately, with the VidMaps, there's a lot more optimization that can be done, since the points are repeated a good bit from map to map (at least in the TRACON I'm working with).

Not sure what you mean here ... can you elaborate? Are you talking about vSTARS video maps?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted

vmp.JPG

This is a small capture of what it used to look like with three different VidMaps up at the same time, each with its own information about this prohibited area (note the triple lines). To eliminate this and cut down on file size, I started defining "nodes" in the NDBs section and referencing those nodes in the diagrams section (where our VidMaps are). That way, each diagram doesn't have its own lat/lon for the same position, and if that position is off, I only need to change it in one spot. Furthermore, it cuts down on file size, in that I only reference the N000.00.00.000 W000.00.00.000 once, with all other references to that lat/lon as a 6 char ID similar to ABC001.

That really wasn't part of the question, and was more me just thinking aloud. The reason I posted the question is I'm optimizing all of the VidMaps by setting more nodes in the NDBs section if the point is referenced more than twice (which has been working so far), and I didn't want to get half way through a project and have it stop working because I could only have X amount of NDBs defined.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.