You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Could I use this as a route?

Steve Frost 1193097

Steve Frost 1193097
Posted
Posted

Could I list this route as my route in a IFR flight plan from Los Angeles to San Francisco. KLAX-LAX-FLW-SNS-OSI-KSFO. These are VOR stations, would ATC let me fly this as my route? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Steve Frost

Trainee

www.virtualswa.com

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

The answer, as with most routing questions is, it depends. If you are in a jet this is unlikely as arriving aircraft to LAX will be overflying FLWs landing LAX generally that area is left clear of departures. If you are in a prop this route would work.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Steve Frost 1193097
Posted
Posted

I am flying a Dash-8-200.

Steve Frost

Trainee

www.virtualswa.com

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted

While most more experienced controllers would likely clear this, given that you're a prop, for future reference, you'll almost never see a controller get upset at flight plans that came from a real source.

These flightplans can be found at FlightAware.com among other sources, but at FlightAware, you can also filter for aircraft type, which would help you in selecting the appropriate flight plan for your city pair.

I tried to avoid VOR to VOR plans when I was a rookie controller, just because most are taught to validate the route against a list of RW, SOP or LOA routes and suggest one of those routes. If the pilot can't accept, you clear it on the filed path. Now, when I control center, I still cringe a bit because I think about the problems this route could cause other ARTCCs online, downline (I know my airspace well, but I haven't the slightest clue if your last VOR is a fix on an arrival at your destination), but on center I rarely have enough time to run off, find a better route, suggest it, and amend your clearance. Because of that, when I'm on center, you'd just get cleared. When I'm covering less than center and I have more time, I may simply point out better flight planning resources, or I may suggest a new route, but in the end there's technically nothing wrong with a VOR to VOR plan (it's loads better than attempting to file DIRECT for the whole flight, at the very least). It will, however, increase controller workload slightly, as we need to let the people we are handing off to know that you're not on a standard route. The APP controller will likely receive the most work, vectoring you off the final VOR to the field.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

The LOA between ZLA and ZOA doesn't contain prescribed routes for turboprops, so this would be fine.