You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

updated MN airports

Steve Bauman 1156360

Steve Bauman 1156360
Posted
Posted

I updated some Minnesota airports to reflect reality. I put the airport, and what changed in real life that made me want to update the airport.

Buffalo Municipal:

-they added a new taxiway (to runway 35) since the game came out

http://www.westsideridaz.com/days/2011-02-15/KCFE_ADEX_SJB.BGL

St. Cloud:

-they added runway 13 ILS approach (game only had 31 approach)

http://www.westsideridaz.com/days/2011-02-15/KSTC_ADEX_SJB.BGL

Save to this location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

ZMP used to have an updated AFCAD on our site that included all updates for ZMP airports. With our new site, this hasn't been added to the pilot's section yet, but may be back at some point.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the updates Steve, always appreciate folks who can do anything to the betterment of our vLife!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Steve Bauman 1156360
Posted
Posted

no problem, if anyone else notices anything wrong about MN (or a neighboring state) airports, let me know, maybe I can fix them.

I did download the update from ZMP; it's very cool, fixed a lot of things for me. I'm pretty sure Flying Cloud's VOR is still on the field until you grab their update.

I think the airports I did were updated after the last publish. Please correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstanding.

I appreciate all the controller's patience with me; when I screw up, my face is hot, my vision gets tunnelled, my brain screeches to a halt, and I just want to hit the power button. I try to make myself see it out, like the real world. I appreciate the patience with us newbs. I laugh when I hear other pilots screw up; makes me happy I'm not the only one who needs "extra help" sometimes.

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your work, Steve. Good to have you flying with us in and out of the satellite fields in ZMP.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Steve Bauman 1156360
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I enjoy the practice!

I updated the CFE (Buffalo Municipal) airport again; they just changed the runways from 17-35 to 18-36. So I did that, and then looked at the airport with google maps (earth), and added some new buildings to more closely match reality.

Willmar (KBDH) was driving me crazy (in FSX). Every time I'd try to dial in their VOR, I'd get the identification of the old closed Willmar airport (KILL), and couldn't tune in KBDH (same frequency, 113.7). Even though you'd see Xs on the runways, like it was closed, the VOR was still transmitting. In real life this is not the case. I even made my own KILL, with no VOR on the field, but that stupid "non existent" VOR kept transmitting. Thus I couldn't do the VOR approach into Willmar.

I was able to figure out that I needed to edit one of the "stock" BGL files. It was this file here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\0201\scenery\NVX02010.bgl

I found a tool (EasyNavs FS9/FSX) that lets you edit stock BGL files from the game. I can't delete the VOR, but I was able to change it's frequency to 108.80. As near as I can tell, that frequency is unused in the area.

NOW I CAN FINALLY tune in to KBDH on 113.70 when I'm flying into Willmar! Hooray that took forever to figure out.

Does anyone know the legalities of me sharing that file? I'm thinking I can't legally share a "stock" piece of the game (my copy of NVX02010.bgl). I'd like to help out my fellow MN pilots that might visit that airport, but I don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble about it. I'm not a hacker, just a guy who likes to fly. If it's not legal, I'm not putting it out there, simple as that.

thanks