You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problem with setting visibility points?

George Papafilis

George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

ES has the commands .vis1 - .vis4 to set up to 4 different visibility centers with the range set at the connect dialogue. I have a strong suspicion that when more than one visibility center is set, there is a problem with seeing other controllers in the controllers list. I had 4 centers set and LGTS_APP, LGTS_TWR and LGTS_ATIS were online but I could only see LGTS_APP in the controllers list. When I reconnected with only one visibility center at LGTS, all positions were present in the controllers list. Any feedback on the above?

Nils Hillmann 1069421
Posted
Posted
ES has the commands .vis1 - .vis4 to set up to 4 different visibility centers with the range set at the connect dialogue. I have a strong suspicion that when more than one visibility center is set, there is a problem with seeing other controllers in the controllers list. I had 4 centers set and LGTS_APP, LGTS_TWR and LGTS_ATIS were online but I could only see LGTS_APP in the controllers list. When I reconnected with only one visibility center at LGTS, all positions were present in the controllers list. Any feedback on the above?

Hm, the command for the main visibility center should be .vis (without the 1), so if you used .vis1 for LGTS and then used the .vis2-.vis4 commands to put your other centers (outside the visibility of LGTS) and have scrolled outside the range of LGTS (which then sets your not yet set visibility center 1 to your current centered position) then it could be possible that none of your visibility ranges reach the range of LGTS_TWR and _ATIS but reach the range of APP so that controller is the only one you see.

If it is this behaviour it should help to use .vis instead of .vis1 (which works for me very good... have mostly used 3-4 visibility centers)

------

You can find plugins for EuroScope at http://es-pluginworld.nilshillmann.de/projects/

Currently available there:

- OCC Plugin Version 1.2 (Development approved by Gergely Csernak)

George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

No. you can have at most 4 vis centers. If you use .vis then that is equivalent to .vis1 in case you also set .vis2 ... and so on. Also the .showvis command shows the current status of visibility and I can always confirm if LGTS is within the 4 vis centers (which it is). I'm basically worried if it is a bug with the visibility centers coding that brings up such behaviour when more than one vis center is set via the .vis# commands. Other ideas?

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

ES just sends the visibility centers to the servers and it is the role of the servers to send back the controllers in range. I hope I send the right piece of information to the servers, but I can not ask them to send me back more information.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

OK. I'll put the whole thing to exhaustive testing and report back any interesting findings.

• 2 weeks later...
George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

I confirm it's NOT a ES bug having to do with more than 1 visibility centers. It is reproducible with only one visibility center. As OBS with radius 145 NM, if I set the only visibility center 50 NM away from an _ATIS manned airport the _ATIS controller is visible in the controllers' list. If the only visibility center is moved at 80 NM from the _ATIS manned airport the _ATIS controller disappears from the controllers' list although it is well within the visibility range of 145 NM.

Theoretically speaking this must have something to do with the way the network translates the visibility centers+range info it receives from the ATC clients and reports back the controllers in range. It is always true that ANY aircraft within the range set by any number of up to 4 visibility centers WILL be visible from ES as normal target. However, that is NOT true for the controllers within the same visibility range. There seems to be a "radio range" property of the online ATC stations, which together with the visibility "centers+range" property set by the ATC clients, "decides" what ATC station is visible to the ATC clients controllers' lists. In a different thread I found that the "radio range" of _ATIS is 30 NM and _OBS is 100. So it seems logical that the _ATIS should disappear if I moved the visibility center more than 130 NM away from the airport. The fact that it disappeared at only 80 NM away means that there's something I don't understand...

It would be very interesting to know the "algorithm" used for the "who sees who" decision so that we as controllers or even observers can make optimal use of the tools available in the ATC clients (visibility centers position and range).

I'll open a new thread with this last post in a more general forum in search of answers

• 1 month later...
Marvin Palmer
Posted
Posted

If you connect to the server and this happens....switch to another server and re-check.

I've run into that before when controlling. It's not a bug in software or coding...just an occurance.

Marvin

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Visibility range has nothing to do with which controllers appear in your controller list... it only affects which aircraft appear. The controllers that appear in your list is determined by your radio range and that of the other controller. I believe the OBS radio range is only 40 nm, but I'll have to double check when I get back to a computer.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

It has been discussed in detail here:http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56924