You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie needs help!

Andrew Underwood 951119

Andrew Underwood 951119
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm new here. I live in New Zealand and I wanna fly online with VATSIM on Microsoft Fligh Sim 2004 and a mi[Mod - lovely stuff]hone- I have a user name and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word but I dont know what to do next...?

Could someone please help me- give me some intructions etc, Ive been playing flight sim for 2 years so I now how 2 fly, use the ATC and played multiplayer on private servers before.

Thanks- please post here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Cheers-

Andrew

MYNEWSIG.jpg

Michael Lockwood
Posted
Posted

Good morning Andrew, Welcome to VATSIM.

It sounds as though you've conquered the toughest part, learning to fly, and the rest is easy.

next thing you need to do is pick a program to connect to Vatsim with.

you have 2 choices sqkbox (www.squawkbox.ca) or FSINN (www.mcdu.com)

both programs have their pro's and con's I'll let you make the decision on which one you like the best.

Download one of those and install it, they are both self explanitory and the connection isn't that tough either, both, once you get them setup, will get you online in 5 clicks or less

pick an airport, like you normally do, and go fly. That's pretty much it. There rest you learn by doing.

just when you come online, don't come on at the end of a runway pick a parking spot in the appropriate area of FS2004

If you need some more help, I'm usually online about this time in the States (FTW_V_CTR) and KDFW is a good airport to fly out of. Come online and contact me, and as long as I don't have full skies, I'll be more than happy to give you all the help you need.

Michael J. Lockwood

p.s. I know this is the oceania forums, so I apologize if i've stepped on any toes by posting here.

You May Be A Redneck Pilot if your stall warning plays "Dixie."

4255.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Andrew,

A great place to start is our local forum, www.vatpac.org where you will find people in your own time zone very willing to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist.

As Michael says, go and grab yourself one of the pilot clients. The latest SB3 comes complete with all the liveries you will find down under so when you choose the LOTR Air New Zealand paint thats what others will see you as!!

If you have any probs please feel free to ask here - the great thing about forums is that your question may just be what someone else wanted to ask too!

Hoping to see you in the skies soon.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andrew Underwood 951119
Posted
Posted

oh ok, thanks for the info guys.

im download squarkbox3, its 22mb and gonna take a long time on my 56k connection

by the way, is a 56k (dial-up) connection ok for use with VATSIM or is it too slow?

also, once I have instaled SB3, and its time for me to connect, where can I find a list of multiplayer server IP addresses to connect to, and do I also connect to that same server in the multiplayer connection box on fs2004?

Cheers,

Andrew

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Andrew,

56K is more than enough to use VATSIM.

Once installed, follow the onscreen prompts - it really is that simple.

You will see a list of servers in SB3 when you try to connect. In your case choose OCEANIA which is in Melbourne although technically you can connect to any of them since they are all connected to each other.

SB3 starts a multiplayer session which FS2004 should automatically join. If for some reason it doesn't then enter 127.0.0.1 in the FS Multiplayer connection.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

Oww, my toes...