You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Choosing An ARTCC

Jeffrey Carpenter 1165262

Posted
Posted

As soon as the Mac OS X radar client is released, I will start my air traffic control training again. I will be going into the Air Force as an air traffic controller, so I figure it would be best to get information as soon as possible.

My question is, from experience, how should I choose an ARTCC? I'm looking into what kind of training programs are taught, but to me that doesn't seen like enough, so I'm also asking for personal experiences from controllers as well as pilots what ARTCC is best.

Now, I'm not trying to start a heated argument on who is better, just give me your experiences.

Thank you.

Jeffrey "Spaz" Carpenter

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

heres one better, what airspace are you more interested in

its better to choose one you have some interest or experience with, even from the pilot side, then one you have no interest in. if you know the airspace, thats a big plus as itll help ease your training then having to learn everything from the floor up.

if you want a place that has lots of military active, ZLA and ZOA would be two good places

not sure if they still do it, but the vUSAF also has/had a military ATC unit

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Honestly, you aren't going to find much in the way of military controlling on VATSIM. The Virtual Military groups have all but given up as far as controlling is concerned. If you want to learn the general FAA procedures though, there is plenty of that.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Posted
Posted
Honestly, you aren't going to find much in the way of military controlling on VATSIM. The Virtual Military groups have all but given up as far as controlling is concerned. If you want to learn the general FAA procedures though, there is plenty of that.

The controlling in the Air Force is the FAA certification, so I'd be learning FAA procedures.

Jeffrey "Spaz" Carpenter

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I'd recommend ZDC, great training program, friendly people and interesting airspace.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

The controlling in the Air Force is the FAA certification, so I'd be learning FAA procedures.

yes they use the .65 however there are different procedures to follow with military aircraft vs. civies.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Amrit Ayalur 1138518
Posted
Posted

What are you looking for in an ARTCC? Unfortunately all ARTCCs are not created equal. Some receive more traffic than others, but the ones that don't have their own perks. Is traffic important to you? ARTCCs like ZLA and ZNY can satisfy that requirement, but you will be part of a large group of controllers. If you are looking for something more laid back, ARTCCs like ZAN or HCF possess quality, but we don't get nearly as much traffic.

HCF_AA/S3 Mentor

Peter Shivery
Posted
Posted

ARTCC's fit into different personalities. Obviously, you can represent it to a city. Larger cities have more people and it is easier to get lost in the crowd; however, some of the larger cities have better systems where controllers get fantastic training. ZLA is a perfect example, their training system is tough but controllers do learn.

But, like it's said. The people in the house make the party. Overall, if you wish to have more one-on-one time with your instructor and/or mentor in terms of training and closely knowing all the controllers within the ARTCC, try choosing a smaller ARTCC like Honolulu, Anchorage, Denver, Salt Lake City, or Fort Worth. The traffic levels are (normally) not as high as the larger ARTCC's which have a larger man-power to staff; however, yes they do have their perks. And by not as high, it certainly does not mean you will be sitting there with no aircraft 24/7, it is just less intense.

The larger ARTCC's has one of the biggest perks, traffic! With more staffing comes more traffic. These ARTCC's are usually ZLA, ZNY, ZMA, ZOA, ZTL. Here you will certainly have more traffic but be careful which ones you pick! From experience, some of the larger ARTCC's do not have adequate training staff to suffice the entire ARTCC.

Then there are ones you certainly just avoid... and I hate to say it is notorious that Seattle is the place no controller wants to be. Unaware controllers transfer here and normally receive no attention from any administrative staff... which is certainly a shame. It is a beautiful airspace but dismantled ARTCC.

Overall, select your ARTCC dependent on which qualities you possess. If you need to be stimulated 24/7, a larger ARTCC will probably fit your personality. If you want one-on-one training and attention, a smaller ARTCC might be better. Just remember, there is a waiting period between ARTCC transfers!

Petey Shivery
Air Traffic Manager
Jacksonville ARTCC
[email protected]

spacer.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
Then there are ones you certainly just avoid... and I hate to say it is notorious that Seattle is the place no controller wants to be. Unaware controllers transfer here and normally receive no attention from any administrative staff... which is certainly a shame. It is a beautiful airspace but dismantled ARTCC.

off topic, but if this is accurate then VATUSA may seriously want to take a look to see whats going on out there

Cameron Negrete
Posted
Posted

another great thing to do is get on ARTCC's teamspeak. Talk to controllers there, get to know em. The controlling enviroment has as much to do with the people surrounding you, as the traffic and training itself.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
another great thing to do is get on ARTCC's teamspeak. Talk to controllers there, get to know em. The controlling enviroment has as much to do with the people surrounding you, as the traffic and training itself.

+1

Among all, I consider this one very important. You may find an ARTCC with sufficient training staff to provide your all your training needs, but that may not be the place you want if you cannot get along with their controllers/staff well. Personally I don't even consider the traffic important. What matters the most to me is the training staff availability, training program, and the overall composition of the group.

There are ARTCCs in VATUSA that doesn't have as much traffic as ZLA, or ZNY; but have a really great training program. Take into example ZMP, they have a really great training program, knowledgeable instructors and mentors, though you may not encounter as much traffic as there is in other airspace, they will ensure that you're operationally ready for any kind of traffic level.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp