You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hi from a new VATSIMer

Daan Van Der Spek 1197080

Posted
Posted

Hello everyone.

I am Daan from the Netherlands.

I have been at IVAO for quite some time and wanted to try VATSIM sometime. I am sure I am going to enjoy it here!

Daan

Posted
Posted

I do have a problem already. When trying to download the sectorfiles at the VATEUD website it fails somehow.

Tom Uytterhoeven 1151895
Posted
Posted

Hey Daan,

If you want to download sectorfiles for your local vACC/ARTCC you should go to their website. For belgium & luxemburg that is = www.beluxvacc.org & for The Netherlands: www.dutchvacc.nl

They will be able to help you with all your questions. Secondly the big difference with IVAO is that we require that you train with a mentor for ATC positions and you do online exams to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] to the next position (theoretical + practical exams).

If you have any more questions just shoot!

Tom

Posted
Posted

Yes I have been in the IVAO NL before I switched to IVAO UK where they do mentor training too.

Sectorfiles I have now.

One question. I have ADC (Aerodrome-Control) rating at IVAO. Does VATSIM require me to do all training or can I step in to something here at VATSIM so I can skip DEL-GND-TWR?

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

VATEUD has an IVAO transfer policy, it basically means that you can go straight to the examination (IIRC). So get in touch with the Training department and explain your situation and they should most likely be able to arrange a checkout for you straight away. You can also request a training session to make sure you know your way around our software and if there are any diffrences in procedures.

But no you should not have to redo all of your training again, only the bits that are nessecary to cover will be trained if required.

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Thomas George 827476
Posted
Posted

Hi Daan,

I've removed the IVAO Transfer Policy from the EUD website as the policy displayed is not quite how we handle it nor is it GRP compliant.

In your case it is quite tricky as you're only at your first stage of training in effect so there's not very much we can exempt you from; GRP says you've got to do the S1 and S2 theory tests and you'd need to be checked practically in some form and that practical test would come as quickly as you can demonstrate your tower competency. Basically, if you're a good TWR controller from IVAO then you will advance quickly in your Aerodrome Training in Dutch vACC through your ability and experience.

Regards,

Thomas George

Tom Uytterhoeven 1151895
Posted
Posted
Yes I have been in the IVAO NL before I switched to IVAO UK where they do mentor training too.

Sectorfiles I have now.

One question. I have ADC (Aerodrome-Control) rating at IVAO. Does VATSIM require me to do all training or can I step in to something here at VATSIM so I can skip DEL-GND-TWR?

Hi again Daan,

Like Thomas George said. There is a transfer policy but at the moment all vACC's have their own manner of handling this based upon VATEUD regulations (Thomas correct me if I'm wrong). Just for my info are you joining DutchvACC? If your joining BeluxvACC (whom I'm a member of) I will be able to give you the correct procedure.

As far as it goes for belux I know that if you have for example an S3 (TMA rating) on IVAO you'll get the S2 (Tower rating) on vatsim.

Tom

Thomas George 827476
Posted
Posted

Hi Tom,

A plan is agreed between the vACC and VATEUD Training Department. The objective is simple; we want people online, if we have suitably qualified people then we don't want to create unnecessary stages.

Regards,

Thomas George

Posted
Posted

Hi all.

I have joined the Dutch vACC to make that clear.

I have C1 (certified Tower controller at IVAO) I believe this would make me S3 at VATSIM.

Thomas if I understand correctly I need to do S1 and S2 theory test (which I will try to do asap) and I need a checkout?

EDIT: The EUROTEST system tells me to join a vACC. Is the system depending on someone activating me at the vACC as I have gone to the Dutch vACC and clicked Register and I can log in there.

Thomas George 827476
Posted
Posted

You weren't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to Dutch vACC in CERT so I've [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned you there now, it will update in Eurotest overnight so you'll be able to do the S1 test in the morning.

Write to Danny Huizinga ([email protected] I think) explaining about your IVAO status and he'll write to Apostolos and me to set up a training plan.

Regards,

Thomas George

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
Hi all.

I have joined the Dutch vACC to make that clear.

I have C1 (certified Tower controller at IVAO) I believe this would make me S3 at VATSIM.

Thomas if I understand correctly I need to do S1 and S2 theory test (which I will try to do asap) and I need a checkout?

EDIT: The EUROTEST system tells me to join a vACC. Is the system depending on someone activating me at the vACC as I have gone to the Dutch vACC and clicked Register and I can log in there.

Just to clarify, vatsim ratings:

S1=DEL, GND

S2=TWR

S3=APP/DEP

C1=CTR

On top of these you have major airport endorsment and complex airspace endorsments.

A complex airport requires a special rating to control (for example London Heathrow, Copenhagen, Stockholm Arlanda). One rating is required for Aerodrome positions and one for approach.

Complex airspaces are mainly Oceanic sectors (Shanwick, Reyjkavik, Santa Maria and Bodö in Europe) and very complex airspaces (such as the eurocontrol sectors or LON sectors).

Also I belive that in some IVAO divisions you are allowed to train at certain fields and/or positions for higher ratings? Such as signing onto a designated approach position even though you do not have an approach checkout. I might be wrong, anyway this is not the case on vatsim. A mentor is always required to sign on to a higher position then you are currently ranked for (this also applies for major/complex positions that you are not rated for).

That was my attempt of a quick overview of the vatsim ratings anyway

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia