You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[30- 31 July 0000z - 0000z] ZMP's Northern Migration V

Matthew Bartels

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted (edited)

migrationbanner2011.jpg

ZMP's Annual Live event will be 24 hours of real ops starting with FNO on July 29th at 1900 CDT and officially ending at 1900 CDT on July 30th, but we will be controlling late into the night on the 30th!

The Pilot Brief and Booking system is now available!

Pilot Self-Briefing Area

Booking System

Edited by Guest

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

Oh boy, oh boy. I love the ZMP migrations!

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just wanted to add that there will be 573 available arrival flights to KMSP, and 586 Departure Flights from KMSP, during the entire 24 hour event.

The booking system should be up soon,..

Edited by Guest
nmvx9d-2.png

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I'm sure this is going to be another awesome event. My hats off to the ZMP crew for the dedication!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• 2 weeks later...
Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Pilot booking system and pilot briefing docomeents for Northern Migration are now available!

Pilot Self-Briefing Area

Booking System

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Just a reminder to everyone, we are three days away from this years Northern Migration!

On a personal note, this year's Migration will be a first for me to attend with this facility but I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working with these guys. I stand by my comments that ZMP is the most professional, organized and realistic crew I have had the opportunity to work with within VATUSA to date... The momentum the facility has built up over the past couple of years is really something special to have witnessed and I'm proud to be a part of this team! We try hard to provide a "real feel" to flying in the United States...

Below are some notes that us, as controllers, would like pilots to be aware of during your participation in this event to help maintain high situational awareness and improve your experience when navigating and communicating with ATC both for yourselves and for others.

During this event, 20 controllers or so will be working Live, side-by-side from the same location in Minneapolis, MN. As the flights available are pulled directly from the current real world flight schedules, this is truly a LIVE!, Real OPS event for both controllers and pilots alike.

For those of you who wish to fly Regional airline flights such as SkyWest (SKW), Comair (COM), Comp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] (CPZ), ASA, Mesaba (MES), Pinnacle (Flagship - FLG), etc. using CRJs or ERJs, you can find your flights located next to the appropriate Major airline regional logo (mostly Delta Connection flights). The carrier and aircraft type are provided in the pop-up Dash Board by clicking on a specific flight.

We do ask however that if you book one of the regional flights originating from MSP, please book the return flight back to MSP. These "out and back" flights generally retain the same flight number and callsign. So if you book Mesaba flight 2484 from MSP to Mason City, check to see if there is a return flight using the same number. This will help prevent another pilot from not only booking your return trip, but will prevent the headache of you, or another pilot, from not being able to log onto the network with the correct callsign, in the example above, MES2484.

If however you do experience this problem, we encourage you to log-in by dropping the first digit, and add an alpha character at the end of the flight number. So, using the above example, you would log-in as MES484A.

One other thing we ask, and we highly encourage, is please fly the type of aircraft that is listed for the flight. If unable to do so, and if you wish to substitute one type of aircraft for another, please do so using a comparable aircraft.

An example of this would be flying an A320 instead of a B737. However, we ask that pilots to the greatest extent possible, refrain from substituting a B747/B767/B777 for a smaller aircraft, especially if your flight is operated by a regional jet or prop.

B737s and A320 series would be okay substitutes for CRJs or ERJs. However, when we get 60 B777s and B747s back to back, our spacing requirements go through the roof, and our airport arrival rate decreases dramatically due to the increased spacing requirements. So we respectfully ask that pilots fly the aircraft listed on the booking system to the greatest extent practical, or follow the replacement schedule below:

Regional Jet/Prop = No bigger than A320 / B737 / MD80/90 Series (No B757/B747/B767/B777/MD11/DC10, Basically no Heavies!)

A320 / B737 / MD80/90 Series = May substitute like size aircraft, but no bigger than B757 and no heavies!

B757= No replacement unless smaller.

B747/B767/B777/MD11/DC10 or any other HEAVY = May substitute for another Heavy, or smaller aircraft.

Again, this is a respectful request from all of the controllers who are participating in this event. I think everyone, including the pilots, would really enjoy this event if we run as a real ops, flying the actual type of aircraft and callsign (ie: using SKW rather than DAL on a regional flight, using the actual operator) on their respective routes.

(Regional Flights are HIGHLY encouraged for a special reason... More information will follow in the next day or two regarding why this is!)

On that note, we ask, and highly encourage, all pilots to read the Pilot Briefing. There is tons of information to found, such as where scenery can be located, how runways are [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned, the importance of making the downwind turn as depicted on the STAR charts, terminal parking locations and much much more. We have been very diligent in our preparations for this event and ask that pilot participants do the same. Please come prepared! When or if all else fails, please be sure to know how to fly a heading, altitude and maintain airspeed in accordance with ATC instructions. As we expect a high turnout during this event, please execute and comply with ATC instructions as quickly as possible. Remember, "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate." Do things in that order and all should be well!

And please, please, please, remember to obtain the ATIS and advise the approach controllers you have the appropriate code on initial contact from the communications transfer from the center! The same goes for calling for a clearance on the ground. Check in with the ATIS! PLEASE! We train our controllers to pay close attention to this tool as it's been available for a long time on VATSIM and serves a purpose to reduce controller workload on reading weather, runway, NOTAM information to each and every pilot that checks in on the frequency. You do us a huge favor by checking in with it as you'll be able to pre-plan which runway to expect (or at the very least, have a general idea) and maybe even make a request with us for a certain runway on frequency to reduce your taxi time on the ground (if we can accommodate).

The pilot briefing may be located here:

http://www.minniecenter.org/node/migration/brief.php

Finally, the booking system may be located here:

http://www.minniecenter.org/node/migration/reservation.php

Again, our facility will be staffed for a full 24 hours during the following times:

Friday, 7/29, 19:00 CDT

until

Saturday, 7/30, 19:00 CDT (and quite possibly later into the evening on Saturday night should the traffic levels warrant the coverage and the controllers have not suffered traumatic brain damage by then... )

(19:00= 7:00PM Central Daylight Saving Time)

We look forward to everyone's participation!

See everyone there!

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I've been trying and trying to book DAL 796 departing out of MSP for Boise at 0245Z with a B738, but no luck. Everytime I click "book" there is a momentary warning about Java and then the booking form appears over the top of the warning before I can read it.

I filled in the form (what p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word do you want...my VATSIM one...I thought that was privileged info) and hit submit, but the only thing that happens is an "error on page" internet warning.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

You need to have Javascript enabled in your browser.

I tested it in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and IE8/9. Works on all of them. You don't enter your VATSIM p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word there; the booking system asks for a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word so you can use it to delete your booking if you can't fly. That can be whatever p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word you want as long as it p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es validation.

Randy, PM me an e-mail address and I'll book your flight in for you

Dhruv Kalra

878508.png878508.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dhruv...PM sent

Edit: Wow, that was quick. I went straight from here to the bookings and found I was already booked, albeit it as "Randy Tynall" as opposed to "Tyndall"

No worries, unless name is critical, though...I've been called worse...

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Fixed it.

Dhruv Kalra

878508.png878508.png

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

18 hours to go! ZMP controllers are starting to arrive at the Bartels' Consolidated TRACON for scope setup and ops briefings. We'll see you all tonight!

Dhruv Kalra

878508.png878508.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

We're getting close... Scopes are being arranged and nearly the entire crew has arrived...

252189_687167399258_39704037_35192317_4364304_n.jpg

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Stuart Redman 1175199
Posted
Posted

That sign is amazing!

Sig.jpg

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Okay, now that is just too much.

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Although we're approaching the originally advertised 24 hour mark here in Minneapolis, we will still be open until late, late tonight. Feel free to come out and fly again... We'll leave the light on for ya.

Thanks for everyone's participation so far, it's really be a blast from this end.

We will be reviewing the regional flights people have flown so far and in touch with certain pilots shortly regarding a surprise.

-AJ

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to chime in here quickly and say what a joy it was flying out of MSP Saturday evening. Excellent service by the entire ZMP staff from Delivery all the way up to center. Despite some pilots who obviously weren't sure how to react to controllers' instructions I never once heard a cross or exasperated word from any of the truly professional controllers.

Well done, Minneapolis...that's why I fly there.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI