You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pye Hold

Fritz Gohl 1119815

Fritz Gohl 1119815
Posted
Posted

tracks from San Jose FNO

pyehold1.jpg

pyehold2.jpg

pyehold3.jpg

This one ^^^ looks like a button was pushed, too uniform

pyehold4.jpg

pyehold5.jpg

I need practice ^^^

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

as long as you stayed at one altitude, which IIRC was the case here, we can manage, but it does make for an interesting pattern, thx for sharing!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Graham Burgoyne 810747
Posted
Posted

Keep in mind the update rate of Vataware doesn't allow tracks to show exactly what you're doing.

Examples:

Me screwing around with a Conquest II before I decide to retire it

http://www.vataware.com/flight.cfm?id=7974590

In the flight analysis those were perfect ovals, for the most part, plus a deviation for an inbound IFR who of course had to land downwind against me. lol

Believe it or not, I did a 45/180 procedure turn on this one

http://www.vataware.com/flight.cfm?id=7946326

Graham Burgoyne 810747
Posted
Posted
:D as long as you stayed at one altitude, which IIRC was the case here, we can manage, but it does make for an interesting pattern, thx for sharing!!

I didn't feel like flying last night, so I observed at SJC for a bit. You guys did a great job. I think the Loupe departure must be one of the most busted by pilots on Vatsim now.

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted (edited)
I didn't feel like flying last night, so I observed at SJC for a bit. You guys did a great job. I think the Loupe departure must be one of the most busted by pilots on Vatsim now.

Thanks for the kind words! I think the overwhelming majority of pilots enjoyed that event, and we are all glad it was a success.

The LOUPE1 departure is a very complicated procedure, requiring a turn about 2 miles out just like the SJC9 (the main southbound departure) but ultimately the controller has to vector the plane northbound, direct to SJC. This departure procedure also has a 5000' restriction to keep clear of overlying SFO arrivals. I have seen few pilots fly the LOUPE1 exactly as charted, though most make a good effort and do it relatively well. The most common mistakes are not maintaining 5000, flying too far out before starting the turn (causing them to bust into another approach sector's airspace), and not turning at all, which can be hazardous to the SFO and OAK arrival streams.

It is tricky to fly, but it is crucial that pilots can fly the departure properly, otherwise conflicts start popping up, especially if traffic into SFO is busy as well.

Edited by Guest

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Events Coordinator, Mentor

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

Forgive me for being naive but it's just one turn, I wouldn't file that under complicated their are plenty of toughies at SFO and nearby airports.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

It's not so much the turn itself, but you have to be sure to start the turn on time or you can potentially bust another norcal sector which works SFO/OAK arrivals, and you also have to be sure to comply with the 5000' crossing restriction of that radial, and the 12000' minimum over the SJC VOR. It's complicated in the sense of timing and altitudes. You'd be surprised how many pilots don't follow those instructions.

Although I do agree, there are some DPs out of nearby airports that are trickier.

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Events Coordinator, Mentor

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller