You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Bad stuff on NYATC last night

peter kofman

peter kofman
Posted
Posted

Last i filed from KLGA to KDET

A normal innocent flight plan.

The controller provided a clearance and all seemed normal ,

Then all hell broke loose as some guy came online and started to scream in to the mic

It went on for a while and then there was a screeching sound that was intolerable

The controller was cool , calm and handled himself well as all pilots went to text , voice just was not possible

The was required because every time any pilot said something the guy became abusive and it got ugly

I commend the pilots and controller for their composure

I thought the controller was able to disconnect someone on a channel if they are behaving outside the prc and code of conduct

I have always found vatsim pilot to be courteous and polite and this was way over the top

Hopefully someone can figure this out and get rid and deal with the situation. Im not sure if it is a regular occurance

Peter

Peter Kofman

Toronto Ontario

RWP 2000 hours Single Day Night Vfr OTT IFR

Twin Rated

Water

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted

Controllers can call supervisors to disconnect the pilot if we can figure out the origin (callsign) of the annoyance. Pilots can as well. In this case, I would have likely recommended that the pilots try, as the controller was typing all of his instructions and probably didn't have time to call a sup.

I believe the .wallop command works in SquawkBox as well.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

peter kofman
Posted
Posted
Controllers can call supervisors to disconnect the pilot if we can figure out the origin (callsign) of the annoyance. Pilots can as well. In this case, I would have likely recommended that the pilots try, as the controller was typing all of his instructions and probably didn't have time to call a sup.

I believe the .wallop command works in SquawkBox as well.

Yes i guess someone has to be able to determine who is causing the problem.

Thanks Peter

Peter Kofman

Toronto Ontario

Twin Rated

Water

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

Definitely, .wallop. It works for Xsquawkbox, so if it works for 2 clients, I see no reason why it wouldn't work for all of them.

2vuh2cx.gif

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Yes, it works for SB as well.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

peter kofman
Posted
Posted
Yes, it works for SB as well.

how do you determine who is causing the problem and can any pilot wallop another.

Peter Kofman

Toronto Ontario

Twin Rated

Water

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Hi Peter,

VATSIM Network Supervisors have the tools available and training to look into who is causing a disturbance. That's why it's best to send a .wallop to summon a Supervisor.

The syntax could look like:

.wallop Need help at KLGA

or

.wallop Someone causing disturbance on KLGA TWR frequency 118.70

Essentially, the .wallop sends an alert and text message to all Supervisors that are online at the time followed by whatever message you type in following the .wallop command

To answer your other question, as discussed above, .wallop sends an alert and text message to all Supervisors that are online. I think what you are asking about is Private Message (PM), a/k/a Chat. Each client (I believe) does have provisions for sending a PM to others on the network.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

We know who it was and have taken appropriate action. Sorry you had to deal with such nonsense.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

peter kofman
Posted
Posted
We know who it was and have taken appropriate action. Sorry you had to deal with such nonsense.

For the record, I've been on Vatsim for a really long time and always enjoy it. Great people and environment. That was a brand new experience for me, a first!

Thanks for taking action

Most importantly, the controller was amazing and non confrontational , ( that guy made his job nearly impossible ) he kept going about his duties and managed to keep us all organized, with no voice /only text

Kudos to him.

Thanks again , last night my call sign was ACA701

Regards Peter

Peter Kofman

Toronto Ontario

Twin Rated

Water

Hudson Northcuf 1195890
Posted
Posted

I tell ya, i was on last night taxing out to my runway all was cool i was flying a yak. 42.........then the screams. It busted my mic speaker( i use a headset) i have to buy a new one so i didnt like it.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Out of curiosity, how do you (SUPs) manage to trace the culprit? Especially in a channel that may have 5-10 clients connected. Even when I'm using Euroscope, I can see who's connected to my channel but no idea who's transmitting. I've had this kind of incident before at Honolulu, I could only disable voice until he decides to quit...

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

The Voice servers have URLs which show SUPs who is transmitting at any time on the voice channel

These aren't locked away under p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word but you just need to know the URL to get there

Cheers!

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted
Out of curiosity, how do you (SUPs) manage to trace the culprit? Especially in a channel that may have 5-10 clients connected. Even when I'm using Euroscope, I can see who's connected to my channel but no idea who's transmitting. I've had this kind of incident before at Honolulu, I could only disable voice until he decides to quit...

Here is a hint that controllers may want to keep in mind...it's a commonly used network tool which recently had updates applied to it in these very forums. This tool will also show a list of network and VOICE servers by clicking on the appropriate tabs.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

When it has happened to me in the past, I have sent a text message over the air to every aircraft on my freq in succession, until I hear the telltale "ding-dong". Then you have your pilot. Don't suspect it will work 100% of the time, but so far so good for me.

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
Out of curiosity, how do you (SUPs) manage to trace the culprit?

If I told you then I'd have to.. ummm ... [be appropriate here Ian...]... place you on double secret probation.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

I have known supervisors to use fairy dust and magic to track down miscreants.

As VATSIM UK DCRM I am constantly amazed that some members think they can misbehave with impunity, and then get all moral and upset when they get a DCRM email.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

• 2 weeks later...
Justin Alderman
Posted
Posted

When it has happened to me in the past, I have sent a text message over the air to every aircraft on my freq in succession, until I hear the telltale "ding-dong". Then you have your pilot. Don't suspect it will work 100% of the time, but so far so good for me.

Doesn't work if they are not logged into the network and just use roger wilco.

Proud VATSIM Member since 2008

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

Doesn't work if they are not logged into the network and just use roger wilco.

The ability to transmit via the RW program was blocked a few years ago. You are still able to listen to the channel, but pressing transmit does nothing.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].