You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Visual Problems with FSX when using payware a/c

Brian Freeman 1137283

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

Good evening all,

Not sure where to put this, so feel free to move if I made the wrong choice. I recently got a high-end system for an FSX upgrade, but I'm having a big problem with payware. Whenever I load any payware aircraft, the viewable area shrinks to the upper left-hand corner of my screen with ghost images in the areas surrounding it. I can try and post a picture or video if that would be helpful. My FSX has SP2 and whatnot installed and it runs absolutely fine on any default aircraft. I'm operating on Windows 7 64 bit with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 and a 3.4Ghz i7-2600. Graphics card drivers are all up-to-date, same with direct X. I read that DX10 preview can break some addons, so I tried disabling that, but there was no effect. Default aircraft run with no problems whatsoever; the only issue comes up when I load up any payware aircraft. Any and all help is deeply welcomed. Thank you, all!

generate-signature.php?login=SWA1460

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Brian,

that seems very strange. Do confirm that your display hardware setting is 32 bit at the correct resolution, for eg, if your screen is 1600x1200 then your setting should be 1600x1200x32 and not 16. Not that this answers why your default acft work fine, but it's worth a look.

Also, here are some great tweaks for FSX, have look to see if it will help. Remember, for nVidia, nVidia Inspector is used compared to nHancer that was used before, so use instructions accordingly: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

Charan, thank you kindly for your reply. My optimal res is 1920xsomethingx32, which is what it's set at, so that rules that out.

That thread you posted is definitely worth a shot. I'm heading to bed now, but I'll try the tweaks described first thing tomorrow. If you happen to be around tomorrow, I'll post a report and let you know what came of it. Thank you for your response and help!

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, none of the applicable tweaks worked and my copy is still doing it's shrink-to-the-side thing. Thanks for trying! I can't think of what the problem is. Any ideas?

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

I just noticed that I'm getting artifacts in certain areas, especially water. This leads me to think it might be a drivers issue, but my driver is the most recent. I'm going to try going back a few drivers and see if this makes any difference.

EDIT: Just tried it with two different sets of older drivers and I still have the same problem.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Are you running it windowed or full screen mode, try the other to see if it resolves, alt+enter should do the trick.

If your monitor is widescreen,I believe there is a widescreen switch somewhere in fsx.cfg, make sure that's enabled.

When I ported PSS Conc to FSX, it was a FS9 acft,there was an additional parameter to b added to the end of the acft.cfg file, I wonder if that can help, I will post it a bit later today. This parameter helped resolve the acft being displayed towards the top half of the FS screen.

Two more qns: Does FSX itself reduce to the top end or does only the acft + scenery reduce in display area while FSX still occupies the entire display area?

Did you manually select the card for driver at nVidia support or did you let nVidia website auto-detect? IIRC, 275.33 was the latest for my 465.

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

I've tried both window and full-screen (I'm usually windowed). No effect. The blackness surrounding the square gets bigger while the square itself stays the same.

I saw the widescreen variable in the cfg file that you posted. Set it to true. No effect

Only the aircraft and scenery are reduced. The menu stays in its usual spot, but flickers.

I manually selected the latest driver. Autodetect never wants to work for me

After doing some reading, I read that some add-ons (like the Iris f-22 I was testing initially) require the Acceleration expansion pack for some reason. I figured it was worth a shot. I should have it tomorrow and I will let you know if that fixes things.

Thanks for your help so far!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

If you are going to install acceleration, remember to uninstall SP2. That should be noted somewhere!!

Here is the setting I told you about, it goes at the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file:

[Default View]

X=0

Y=0

SIZE_X=8192

SIZE_Y=6143

Btw, some military acft do require Acceleration, so that might affect it, but if you have any other civilian add-ons, this might be worth a try.

Cheers and good luck!!

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

Charan, it looked like Acceleration, combined with what you said before, was the missing link! I'm able to load all my aircraft (default and payware) but one: The Wilco Airbus Evolution Vol.1. I've been digging around the Internet and I haven't been able to see why everything loads but this. FSX is up to date, as is the Airbus being installed. I followed the Windows 7 instructions to the letter regarding administrative rights. DX10 preview has been tried checked and unchecked. I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything right down to FSX itself to no avail. All other Wilcos I have work perfectly...

You've been a huge help already, but if you can offer any guidance, I'd appreciate it!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Brian,

not having had the problem or the acft, it's a bit like shooting in the dark, so bear with me. Is it the same problem you are having with this acft? You said, you couldn't load, so I am not sure what that means.

If it is a display issue, try looking for a "SHADERCLOCK" variable in the fsx forums, not here, I forgot where I saw that, but it seems to have helped that user fix some weird display errors.

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Charan. Whereas before, with the other aircraft, they would load but my display would shrink to a very small square in the corner of my monitor, when I load the Wilco Airbus, the mouse cursor turns into a little circle (processing), hangs for about 30 seconds, and then FSX crashes, stating that it has encountered a fatal error. This appears to happen any time the plane needs to visually processed: when selecting the craft in Free Flight, when looking up the details on the aircraft select screen, or when switching to the aircraft in-game after loading the default Cessna. The plane won't physically appear without FSX crashing, so I haven't gotten far enough to see if it's a display issue yet. I'll find the shaderclock variable regardless and will report back.

Note that this is one of those packages which install FS9 or FSX from the same installer. I've been using these happily for FS9 without issue. I've poked around the internet and it appears that a similar problem has been solved for Vol. 2 (I'm on vol. 1) by deleting a file. I checked my files and the fix doesn't appear in volume 1.

Brian Freeman 1137283
Posted
Posted

Charan, I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but it looks like the Airbuses are working just fine for me now. I don't get it! I want to give you an immense thank you for all your hard work and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance in getting me here! You are truly a testament to the VATSIM community! Take care!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Awesome, sometimes even FSX can surprise us. Glad to have been of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance!!