You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[airspace] SECTORLINE DEFINITION

Emiliano Ferraco

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted

Hi,

When defining a sectorline, the actual line must be declared using coordinates. Each coordinate point must be declared with the “COORD” prefix then followed by the LATITUDE and then the LONGITUDE...

ok..

Now, what happens if one sector line of the FIR is defined by the geographical boundry between two countries. For example, between Argentine and Chile. That means that I´ve to declare aaaaalllllllll the coordinate points with the COORD prefix to define that line?

I have to say that in the ARTCC section of the .sct2 file, that kind of boundries have lot of points, because they are not straight lines, they are geographical lines, and they´re taken from the NOAA website.

Thx.

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Airspace boundaries are usually independent from geographical boundaries, so if you are using real-world boundaries there should be a good chance that the actual airspace border is not identical to the geographical border but much more straightened.

If you need to use the geographical border, then yes, you have to declare aaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll the coordinates.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

It is also a good idea to keep the sectorlines generalized as far as possible. The lines from the SCT/SCT2 files are drawn on the screen and that is all. On the other hand sectorlines are used to create sectors and all sectors are tested against all predicted points of all airplanes available. So that is a huge amount of computing. Making the sectors more simple you need less CPU to calculate position predictions. So make them as simple as possible

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted

Ok.. thanks, I´ll try.

The big problem here is that, trying to keep things as real as possible, local aeronautical authority defines FIRs West boundry as geographical boundry (between ARG and Chile).

Regards

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted

Ok.. just another question. It´s possible to make simple a semi circular FIR boundry? (the CIRCLE sectorline definition is only for full round sectors) Or the only way to draw a semi circular sectorline is with all the coords? I have no problem with this last option, but, as Gergely said before, I´m trying to make things as simple as possible.

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Emiliano,

Use my tools at http://fs.mine.nu/euroscope/design

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted
Emiliano,

Use my tools at http://fs.mine.nu/euroscope/design

Miguel

Hi miguel... Actually, I´m using your tools for that. And they are great!. I was asking if is there a definition (like circle sectorline) for that, instead of pasting each coord...

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

No. There are CIRCLE_SECTORLINES (full, and drawn more or less as a circle) and then my tool to generate small 1 degree arcs to generate the final arc you want.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png