You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Visibility Centers

Emiliano Ferraco

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted

Hi, I´ve two doubts concerning visibility centers.

1º.- If I dont misunderstood it, a Visibility Centre controls which planes I can see on my scope, and the centre point from which planes can see me,... that´s right?

2º.-The .ESE instructions says :"There can be maximum 4 visibility centers defined", but I saw many sectorfiles that include the lat/long option after every position defined. So I don´t understand exactly the meaning of the "4 visibility centers defined".

Thanks

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

1. Partially right, the planes see you based on the radio range, not the visibility range, the last is only for you.

2. You can have max of 4 vis centers per position, what you are referring in the ese file is the default position of vis. center (centers) for every position. Every position can have max of 4. But in the ese you can have as many position with 4 vis. center as you would like.

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted
1. Partially right, the planes see you based on the radio range, not the visibility range, the last is only for you.

Can you explain this deeply please? Planes see me based on the radio range: the range you referred is the one set on the connect dialog? and the visibility range is the one set by me to see planes... where i set this range?

2. You can have max of 4 vis centers per position, what you are referring in the ese file is the default position of vis. center (centers) for every position. Every position can have max of 4. But in the ese you can have as many position with 4 vis. center as you would like.

Ahh, ok. Now, is really neccesary 4 visibility centers for a position?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

The one you set in the Connection dialog is the vis range. The radio range is based on your position type and the altitude of an airplane. It is server coded (if memory doesn't lie me).

No you don't need 4 vis centers, you can even not enter any in the ese, then the active center will be the one taken from your sct file.

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted

Thanks Todor. And thanks George, that link was very usefull!

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Todor, however in my FIR for instance, planes coming in from the north can only see the CTR position if I create a second vis point. Otherwise I do not show up in their ATC list.

So I type: .vis2 WAYPOINT a bit more to the north so that he then sees me.

So I guess .vis command also alters the radio range?

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

George Papafilis
Posted
Posted

No, it doesn't change the radio range but setting a second visibility point adds a second radio range center for the incoming planes to see you sooner.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is always a confusing topic because "visibility range" only affects which planes a controller can see. It does *not* affect which controllers a pilot can see, or which controllers a controller can see. Those two things are determined by radio range. Radio range is set by the server ... each controller has a radio range that is set based on their facility type. Pilots have a radio range that is a function of their altitude. Whether or not a pilot can see a controller (or if a controller can see another controller) is determined by whether or not their radio ranges overlap.

A key thing to note is that both your visibility range and your radio range are centered on your visibility center. A vis range of 600 means you will see targets within a 600 NM radius of your visibility center. And if you have a 400 NM radio range (again, this is hardcoded into the server and has nothing to do with your visibility range) then pilots that have a radio range that overlap with a 400 NM radius circle of your visibility center will see you. If you have multiple vis centers, then you have multiple such circles.

It may help to think of visibility range as "radar range" instead.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Emiliano Ferraco
Posted
Posted
This is always a confusing topic because "visibility range" only affects

It may help to think of visibility range as "radar range" instead.

Excelent! Now it´s clear.