You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

image background (wishlist)

Pavel Brodsky

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

It would be cool to have an easy feature in next ES - image, that can be loaded transparently over the radar screen. We have real world weather radars (https://atcnix.rlp.cz/metrad/data/czrad/,DanaInfo=10.124.255.254+animace.gif) and probably we could load it over our radar screen like in real eurocat systems: http://brodhaq.hu.cz/image_1941_52_v1.jpeg

I believe this is quite easy-to-do feature and many users would be happy to see it. Most of countries have their own meteo radars online, so everyone could only insert his own address to the radar-image.

Thank you for reading,

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

You can get a transparent image from the real radar?

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

I'd be extremely interested if there was a way to do this..

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Ross Bristo 1010003
Posted
Posted

What use would it be to controllers? Not every pilot uses the same weather engines, some fly CAVOK, so you could effectively give someone a vector in to a storm, rather than avoiding it.

Ross

atc1o.png

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

What I don't get is this: you are allowed to give vectors to avoid weather? In Bulgaria, we are not allowed to give vectors for that (only info about the info we have for the weather), as the pilot has the most updated info and look on the deck, for the weather, and the decision for the avoiding action is his, and his only.

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

As Todor says, we dont provide vectoring to aviod, pilots avoid the WX on their own, by their WX radars. But real ACC-APP and FIS Eurocat 2000 clients in Czech republic have meteo radar overlay over the scope for the case when pilots ask for information.

Ad. transparent image - nope, we can get only what I linked - but I guess it shouldnt be so difficult to make it transparent in ES, should it? Especially for someone who can develop such a sophisticated and great radar client.

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

And ad. different WX sources - I agree, even every ActiveSky has the CBs different - but the general information - the thunderstorm is there / is not there / is approaching / is leaving is the same for SB weather, FSInn weather, AS weather, Jeppesen weather...

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

You could probably figure a way to do this with a plugin. I wouldn't say it would be an easy thing to do, eg. how do you know where to place the image on the display so that it is correctly positioned?

As for its usefulness.. well Eurocat X used down here also has the ability to display a weather radar feed but we are not even allowed to display it let alone use it, at all. By the time you're seeing the "weather" on the display it's already moved.. not to mention how cluttered and distracting the display could become with weather in the background, yuck! However, we do have access to the feed via a tertiary display separate from Eurocat.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

A plug-in called for drawing only after the static map display. In this way it can not draw anything "under" it.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer