You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

An overview on the webpage

Peter Noerkjaer 812239

Peter Noerkjaer 812239
Posted
Posted

Hi guys.

Many times I have thought about making all the way over the ocean to The States.

A few days ago I started on some flightplaning. However at the vatusa page, I was unsure about which VACC/FIR cover which airports. The problem isn't knowing where the cities are located (Hey, that's why we have navigation). But I'm not sure about which ACC the airports fall under.

So I would like to ask if you guys could draw a map (or make a link to a map) on the frontpage, so we can get a better idea of which cities/airports belong under which area.

Here's kinda of what I'm thinking about: http://vacc-sag.org/?PAGE=sag_area (From the Swiss, Austrian, German VACC)

Season greetings

/Peter

Regards Peter

Used to be C1 ATC. Then came children and a house in the suburbs. Now I am just building a Boeing

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Not a bad idea, but Servinfo will show that or FS Nav. Do you use any of those?

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted
http://www.tmdg.co.uk/browse/ is fairly accurate for at least the US ARTCCs, though for some of the smaller airports it only shows the airport name and not the ICAO (ignore the "Alaska (US)" and choose US from furthur down the list).

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

While not being perfect in any way - SimRoutes.com can tell you what ARTCC most of the major airports in the US fall under.

Simply search for a flightplan (including the airport you are interested in) and then drill down to the details. At the top of the screen it usually tells you what ARTCC the airport is in and sometimes it even includes a link to their website.

Two things to note:

1) You can just type in a single airport rather than both Departure and Arrival.

2) Data between North America and Europe is not huge and at times inconsistent.

Hope that helps.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted
www.airnav.com Best place for info on US airports

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Dustin Robbins 887494
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi guys.

So I would like to ask if you guys could draw a map (or make a link to a map) on the frontpage, so we can get a better idea of which cities/airports belong under which area.

Here's kinda of what I'm thinking about: http://vacc-sag.org/?PAGE=sag_area (From the Swiss, Austrian, German VACC)

Here's something similar to your link, it doesn't have the airports on the map, but as long as you know what state it's in then you're good. Each ARTCC is linked to its website.

http://www.zmeartcc.org/regions.html

regions0xb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted
Hi guys.

Many times I have thought about making all the way over the ocean to The States.

A few days ago I started on some flightplaning. However at the vatusa page, I was unsure about which VACC/FIR cover which airports. The problem isn't knowing where the cities are located (Hey, that's why we have navigation). But I'm not sure about which ACC the airports fall under.

Season greetings

/Peter

Hi Peter, if you click on ARTCC Rosters, you will get the logo for VATUSA. We have a pretty big new writing going on with the VATUSA website, so, I'm sure the next version will be helpful for you when it's done. regs2.jpg

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

That's a good map, Jeff, but without the state lines behind the colors its very hard to see where your destination city might be.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
That's a good map, Jeff, but without the state lines behind the colors its very hard to see where your destination city might be.

Good point [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that:

a) You know what state your arrival airport is in.

b) You have a clue in the world where that state is.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

What's your point? We shouldn't have the state boundaries on it?

Posted
Posted

artcc_map.jpg

Something to please everyone!

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I like it Nick.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I think his point is, it does nothing for the person that started this thread, state lines or none. He want's to know what ARTCC covers an airport. How does a state line tell him that?

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Posted
Posted

Usually state lines give you some bearing as to where the actual city or airport is...I certainly think having state lines there helps, at least for me.

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I think his point is, it does nothing for the person that started this thread, state lines or none. He want's to know what ARTCC covers an airport. How does a state line tell him that?

How does not having them tell him that? In the image above with the solid colors and no state lines, can you tell me where the Texas Panhandle is? How about "which ARTCC is Oklahoma City in?". Putting up a map like that one only serves to tell you that ZFW exists, there's nothing there to tell you, if you look at an atlas and figure out roughly where OKC is, where it would be on that map. Without the state lines you have zero point of reference to figure out what city is covered by an ARTCC.

I'd argue the best map posted yet was the one with the state lines and the terrain. Every little bit of reference you can add without overcluttering will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist in identifying the covering ARTCC. Putting up a solid colored jigsaw doesn't tell you a whole lot, and makes it nearly impossible for anyone without a lot of experience flying in the states to figure out anything other than the name of all the ARTCCs.

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted
www.airnav.com Best place for info on US airports

Precisely, if you plug in the airport identifier (which I hope you know if you're flying to it), it will list which ARTCC is belongs in. For example KISP:

ARTCC: NEW YORK CENTER

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Peter Noerkjaer 812239
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the answers.

To both Dustin and Nicholas: Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Could be a great service to non-US pilots to have such a map on the vatusa site to help us find the charts for the airports, so we don't create to much havoc over there.

Take care guys. See you once I make it across the ocean.

Season greetings.

Regards Peter

Used to be C1 ATC. Then came children and a house in the suburbs. Now I am just building a Boeing