You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Conquer Aspen (KASE)

Alexander Tucker 1106997

Alexander Tucker 1106997
Posted
Posted (edited)

As most of you know, Denver Live! is today. I'm sure one route to be a hit is Denver to Aspen. I'm also sure half the pilots flying into Aspen will not know what you are doing, so here is a quick step guide to make your, the traffic around you, and the controller life's a whole lot easier. I'll will be going over each approach.

Pre-Requirments & Knowledge:

You should know how to use DME. If not, do not attempt VOR/DME OR GPS-C.

The largest aircraft that can fly into Aspen is the CRJ-700. If you use anything larger, this guide will not help much.

Why is that? The speed you should be using is 135 IAS or below. Slower the better.

This guide [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes you have the charts with you while reading. It is critical so that you know all the information such as frequencies and more altitudes.

Know how to fly the LOC Backcourse if using the instrument approaches. All you need to do is follow the chart. Put in you comments section if unable to do it. In this case, you need to climb before anything else, waiting too long means mountains.

Don't be afraid of lowering the nose down 5 degrees or even more to make the runway. This is perfectly normal for these approaches.

Every approach into Aspen from Denver most often arrives at the DBL VOR which looks like this at 1.5 out at 14,000 feet.

-2011-aug-27-001.jpg

VOR/DME OR GPS-C

This approach requires of course a GPS or DME. (All of which are default with flight sims.) Also, it will be most likely you get [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned this approach. This approach also includes a optional holding pattern at Red Table (DBL) VOR. So, here we go:

The GPS-C approach uses specific intersections, and one distance from DBL to guide you to the runway altitude wise and heading wise basically.The VOR/DME uses distances from DBL instead of intersections. The heading from DBL to the runway in no winds is 064 You should plug the following intersections into your GPS:

CFEJP @ 13,100 Feet

ALLIX @ 12,200 Feet

9.5 From DBL @10,800

MAFMU is the missed approach point.

After reach the DBL VOR, you will be flying direct to the CFEJP intersection to cross it at 13,100 Feet. (The scenario I'm using is dependent upon intersections.)

-2011-aug-27-002.jpg

Next is ALLIX at 12,200 Feet.

-2011-aug-27-004.jpg

And then comes the point where you about lose it, at 9.5 DME from DBL 10,800 Feet. (Make sure DBL is on an active frequency.)

-2011-aug-27-004.jpg

Now at this point, that runway looks far down there, 3,000 to be exact. If you can't see the runway by MAFMU, execute the missed approach. NOT BEFORE If you see it, make a slight right turn to make a longer final. Yes, we are heading to the mountains.

-2011-aug-27-005.jpg

Now as you get close to mountain, that's just a hill here, turn to line-up with the runway. This should be done before the two road intersect as seen in the picture.

-2011-aug-27-006.jpg

And there you go! Set the plane on the ground and you have yourself one heck of an approach and you can call yourself a man.

LOC/DME-E

The more common approach into Aspen, though giving a higher missed approach point is the LOC/DME-E. This approach is more straight in and really doesn't require a whole lot to line-up with the runway.

The LOC/DME-E approach uses specific intersections altitude wise and heading wise basically. The heading from JARGU to the runway in no winds is 148 You should plug the following intersections into your GPS:

JARGU @ 13,400 Feet

KICER @ 12,900 Feet

FIMSO @ 12,300 Feet

DOYPE @ 11,700 Feet

CEYAG is the missed approach point.

Okay, here is the turn at JARGU at 13,400 Feet. Mount Sopris is a nice additional landmark for ya.

-2011-aug-27-007.jpg

KICER is next at 12,900 Feet.

-2011-aug-27-008.jpg

Followed by FIMSO

-2011-aug-27-009.jpg

And finally DOYPE at 11,700 Feet.

-2011-aug-27-010.jpg

As said CEYAG is the missed approach point.

Now, that approach seems a whole lot easier. If that still doesn't fit you, then is is off to the visual.

Roaring Fork Visual Rwy 15

For those not wanting an instrument approach, and when a straight in visual my not be possible, this is the Roaring Fork Visual. First lets take a look at the paths in FS:

-2011-aug-27-019.jpg

The one on the right is from DBL and the other is the one that begins in Basalt. Keep in mind when you have one of the landmarks listed in the official chart, you will most likely be cleared for the approach and altitude is at your discretion. You do need to follow the route provided though. Look for landmarks to keep on course.

Lets take a look at the DBL option, this is more likely for a north arrival, but you may get it.

-2011-aug-27-012-1.jpg

Using both diagrams, you can see that you would fly from DBL avoid the mountain you see in the second diagram, and then fly over mountain to the runway that is labeled Mountain with the arrow in the first diagram.

The other is the Basalt option. ATC will give you a heading after DBL if flying this option. Here is a look at it:

-2011-aug-27-016-1.jpg

This on is more simple as all you have to do is follow the river over Basalt, which is where the rivers merge, follow it over, not through the canyon, then align to the runway after clearing the canyon.

However, finding the river in FS can be tricky when approaching it from the angle you are coming from. The trick is to find Mount Sopris, then the Aspen-Glen Airstrip which is below of the mountain on the side you are coming from, then look below that for either the road, Hwy CO-82 which follows the river, or the river itself. Here is that in a picture:

-2011-aug-27-014-1.jpg

If you get vectored south of Mount Sopris, the vectors given should be well enough it will come onto view on roll out.

Well, that is it. Hopefully this will make you flying into Aspen more enjoyable and fun for anytime. Also, you may want to take a quick look at the LINDZ6 departure here:http://forum.vatusa.net/index.php?showtopic=2327 See ya out there.

Scenery Recommendations (Flight Sim):

kase.zip

aspenski.zip <-- This not only adds the ski areas, but relocates the river and roads which make following the charts easier as their are out of place.

Blue Sky Scenery at http://blueskyscenery.com/ which provides free photoreal scenery, can't beat that.

Edited by Guest

Flying is simple, as long as you know how to do it. bug.gif?dateline=1293816988 <-- The original bug is back. (The best part is that it doesn't stop.)

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Couple of things:

1.) The VOR/DME or GPS-C approach requires either VOR/DME capability OR GPS capability, not both. It is much easier to use the GPS because it will have a slightly tighter approach path guidance than the VOR will. Another benefit to GPS is being able to see a graphical depiction of your approach.

2.) In most cases, you WILL NOT need to fly the hold at DBL. If you are going to intercept DBL to join the final approach course between DBL radials 297 and 046, DO NOT fly the procedure turn. We will typically vector aircraft to intercept within this range. The hold creates a huge mess during high traffic scenarios. You will either be vectored into that window where the hold does not need to be made, or you will be cleared for a straight in approach: "CLEARED STRAIGHT-IN VOR/DME APPROACH." This means do not fly the hold.

3.) You're correct with the MAFMU final approach fix. The most important thing is to not begin the published missed until you get to MAFMU. We always get people abandoning the approach early, which really messes things up.

4.) The Roaring Forks Visual Approach is not the only visual approach we can offer into Aspen. If traffic permits, we'll vector you in pretty low and close to the field to report it in sight, then clear you for a visual approach to Runway 15. The Roaring Forks Visual is an awesome procedure, but it's not the only type of visual you can get.

5.) If told to expect the Roaring Forks Visual Approach and you call any of the landmarks in sight, you'll be cleared for the approach and WILL NOT be given any further vectors. If flying the Basalt transition and you call Basalt in sight, you need to follow the river to the runway and should not at any point go to DBL. Just follow the dotted line on the chart, which takes you over the river or landmarks you should be looking for.

Otherwise, this is a good tutorial!

Alexander Tucker 1106997
Posted
Posted
Couple of things:

1.) The VOR/DME or GPS-C approach requires either VOR/DME capability OR GPS capability, not both. It is much easier to use the GPS because it will have a slightly tighter approach path guidance than the VOR will. Another benefit to GPS is being able to see a graphical depiction of your approach.

Hence why it is the VOR/DME or GPS-C. I use the VOR was my final vertical instruction. That is at 9.5 DME you should be at this certain altitude. I that is why I say you should have DBL tuned in as back-up. But yes, the GPS is much better for this approach.

2.) In most cases, you WILL NOT need to fly the hold at DBL. If you are going to intercept DBL to join the final approach course between DBL radials 297 and 046, DO NOT fly the procedure turn. We will typically vector aircraft to intercept within this range. The hold creates a huge mess during high traffic scenarios. You will either be vectored into that window where the hold does not need to be made, or you will be cleared for a straight in approach: "CLEARED STRAIGHT-IN VOR/DME APPROACH." This means do not fly the hold.

Okay, didn't know that. I had a controller ask my if I would like to skip the hold, so I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed it is required.

3.) You're correct with the MAFMU final approach fix. The most important thing is to not begin the published missed until you get to MAFMU. We always get people abandoning the approach early, which really messes things up.

I'm sure you do. I bet some people will abandon the approach there to. It just seems to far up and to close to the runway. I think people have that tendancy thinking, " No, I shouldn't point my nose down that far." when really they have to.

4.) The Roaring Forks Visual Approach is not the only visual approach we can offer into Aspen. If traffic permits, we'll vector you in pretty low and close to the field to report it in sight, then clear you for a visual approach to Runway 15. The Roaring Forks Visual is an awesome procedure, but it's not the only type of visual you can get.

Okay, I though the Roaring Fork Visual was to help traffic flow. On thing I forgot to add was Rwy 33 may be used for landing. However it must be propeller driven. The largest aircraft I seen was the Bombardier Q-400, and it is a sight to see. Maybe you can clear up what aircraft are able. No jets for sure though.

5.) If told to expect the Roaring Forks Visual Approach and you call any of the landmarks in sight, you'll be cleared for the approach and WILL NOT be given any further vectors. If flying the Basalt transition and you call Basalt in sight, you need to follow the river to the runway and should not at any point go to DBL. Just follow the dotted line on the chart, which takes you over the river or landmarks you should be looking for.[

Thanks for the that extra clarification on that. Most often it will be the river. Although do they use Mount Sopris also? The other option is from DBL almost direct to the airport. Maybe I confused you with that?

Otherwise, this is a good tutorial!

Thanks. Took me three hours.

Flying is simple, as long as you know how to do it. bug.gif?dateline=1293816988 <-- The original bug is back. (The best part is that it doesn't stop.)

Alexander Tucker 1106997
Posted
Posted

And I have edited the guide by the way.