You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Euroscope and downloading sector files...

Kent Kasten 868422

Kent Kasten 868422
Posted
Posted

I seem to stuck with a issue that just doesn't make sense. It seems that whenever a new updated sector file is released, I can't get it even though I have the auto download feature(s) on to do so. When this happens, I can only get previous release to show up even manually trying to download it. For example if the old sector file was xxx_20112101940.sct (1940 for short) and the new one is xxx_20112491710.sct (1710 for short), I would only see the 1940 in the down loader, even after a complete re-installation of ES using only what are the installed defaults. I have taken this to an extreme and even cleaned out the registry for all ES related material I could find, then re-installed ES again using only what are the installed defaults. Still without any luck.

The really weird part is that the ES download system creates a file that contains the 1940 version and file name (e.g. xxx_Sector_Files.txt). If I edit that file manually and replace it with the new 1710 file data, it will actually download the 1710 data, but will not "activate" that data as the active sector file (e.g. confirm).

Others are downloading the 1710 file data without any issue, so this is a local problem that appears to only reside with me. I'm totally stumped here and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have enclosed my system specs, if that makes any difference.

System specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.42GHz

16GB Ram

(2) 1TB SATA drives

1 Blu-Ray DVD Player/Burner

EVGA GTX580 SC 1.5GB Ram

Thanks,

Kent

• 2 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

For me it seems to be some kind of local caching problem. What happens when you type the provider URL to a browser? Do you see the new link there?

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Kent Kasten 868422
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply Gergely. When I manually pointed the my web browser to the website it was showing the proper file was available for download. It's interesting that ES was able to locate this cached memory even after numerous reboots. One would think that information would be overwritten and lost somewhere along the line. There must be an option to erase the cache memory during reboots or shuts down within Windows 7.

Thanks again.

Kent

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted

Any news on this?

I am having the same issue here for the Copenhagen FIR sector files. Yesterday the files were updated from EKDK_official_09_11_v15.xxx to EKDK-official_11_10_v01.xxx and sector file provider updated accordingly. If I tell ES to download the new sector file provider, it does so according to the Messages window, and the timestamp of the file is actually updated, BUT: still the old content!!! If I manually download the EKDK_sector_file.txt to my ES-folder incl. the 7z-file, ES then suggests to use the new files instead of the outdated ones, so it seems the problem is in the downloading of the EKDK_sector_file.txt. I have downloaded the provider file in a browser to check, and the updated file is available, so no problem there.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Claus Hemberg Jørgensen

C1 ATC, VATSIM Scandinavia - EKDK.

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Vatsim Membership Manager - Americas

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

Kent Kasten 868422
Posted
Posted

This problem appears to be localized; however, if as suggested that its a cache memory issue, then rebooting the PC should've fixed it, but the problem returns after the reboot. The only "cache" memory not completely deleted is the virtual pagefile. My only possible suggestion is that the ASR files contain the last known SCT filename and ES is pulling it from there during startup and trying to download it versus the new one. This would mean that in certain situations/configurations ES has an unwanted feature.

My only possible solution (I haven't implemented it yet) is to clear the virtual page file during reboot and shutdown events on the computer. This can be controlled in Windows 7 from "Administrator Tools" under control panel, then "local security policies" look for "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile" and set it to "Yes". One drawback is that your reboots will take longer than normal (3-5 minutes in some cases depending on the pagefile size).

I'm not sold on cache memory issue to resolve this as I've totally removed all traces of ES several time and reinstalled it clean with the same issue, doing reboots after each uninstall. Taking a comment to heart from the folks at PMDG to not install FS9 or FSX into the program files or program files (x86) folders due to MS limitations on how much control you have over the applications in that area, I have opted this last time to install ES in the root directory of (C:). Right now its working for me...time will tell when an new SCT file is published.

Regards,

Kent

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted

Hello again.

Using a webproxy I found out, that even though ES tells me that it is downloading new sector file provider (http://www.vatsim-scandinavia.org/euroscope/sectorfiles/denmark/EKDK_sector_file.txt) it actually doesn't! No records in the webproxy at all! That means, that it must somehow use some cached sector file provider, but where does ES cache these files? I cannot find any trace of it in the \docomeents\euroscope folder, so it must be somewhere else.

According to the post above, I am quite sure that it is not possible, that the files should be stored in the Windows virtual pagefile after a reboot - in that case Windows was definately VERY broken, and a lot of other programs would have significant problems (talking as a pro software developer...).

Any ideas, anyone?

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Vatsim Membership Manager - Americas

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

• 4 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I guess that it might be cached somewhere in IE cache. Try deleting temporary internet files and download it again from ES.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 1 month later...
Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

Hi Gergely,

Thanks for that! I was experiencing the same problem, and clearing Temporary Internet Files was the solution for me.

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

• 2 years later...
Brent Neil 1121018
Posted
Posted

Hello Everyone,

This is an old thread. However, I am now having the same issue. My FIR for the first time has decided to get on board with the automatic sector file downloading. I have tried installing Euroscope into the route directory. I have tried clearing all temporary internet files. I still can not get it to work.

What I have discovered is that Euroscope seems to download the .txt file and the .7z file into the temporary internet files folder. If I take the file from there and copy it to Euroscope, voila I have the new content. Any suggestions on how to force the downloaded file to go to the correct place?

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Brent,

There has been an improvement on downloading files since 3.2. So the caching issue should not happen there.

How do you setup your download of the sectorfile in ES?

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Brent Neil 1121018
Posted
Posted

Hey Gergely,

I have it set up as per the instructions on the Euroscope Wiki. However, my FIR has not been able to upgrade to 3.2 yet since it is not compatible with our Canscope add on. I guess we will have to wait for whoever is responsible in Vatcan to update Canscope for us.

• 3 months later...
Mark Walsh
Posted
Posted

Brent,

You and I have been talking on the email and starting to progress within the Vatcan region and the move into v3.2. The question I have here, is with the new v3.2, the SectorFileProviderDescriptor has the old VATSIM Canada Sector File Provider with a url provided by czul.vatcan.org. How can we get this changed at the root? Who or where can we (Brent CZYZ and I-CZQM) send the new information to?

Mark Walsh CZQM/QX

Mark Walsh

Vatsim Network Supervisor

• 2 months later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

The root list of providers are updated by me. Send an email to support(at)euroscope.hu with the details.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer