You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vox issues

Jonathan Cox 1122818

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

Recently, I have been having real trouble with VRC voice.

The first several minutes after I sign on, I often cannot hear pilots transmitting on my frequency. Eventally, If I call someone on frequency I can hear them reply and everything seems normal. It's occasional, but an incredibly frustrating issue when a pilot tells you on text he has tried to call several times and has gotten no response.

Nobody else I've talked to seems to have the issue, so I doubt it's a server problem. Text works fine, so it's not a frequency problem. I've checked that all of my devices are configured properly. I don't think it's a port forwarding problem, since I can get voice most of the time. I forwarded port 3290 on my router. The only thing I can think of is if I don't have a private port set properly. (If so, then how do I do that?)

I'm running out of ideas and patience. (but not on frequency ) If someone could help me figure this out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Events Coordinator, Mentor

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Sometimes happen to me as well. What I do is just press the PTT every now and then to keep the voice port alive. Even though I've already forwarded 3290 to my router. It only happens to me on VRC, never was an issue with Euroscope. VRC would be extremely fun to use if this doesn't happen so often.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. How often do you suggest pushing the PTT key, every 5 minutes or so?

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I had the same problem years ago. Was using Norton firewall. Once I disabled the firewall, all was OK.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

I've always used a wireless router, it's only started since I got this new one. And I don't have any firewalls installed except the windows one (and I let everything for VRC through it).

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid we've reached my knowledge limit; hopefully someone in the community can help

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

Thanks anyways Don!

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

have you already tried contacting the router manufacturer to see what they recommend? if its happening with one router and not the other, its the router.

it should have its own firewall, that may be one thing, also dont forget to port forward. but even then some routers are still trouble makers, my old Belkin Wireless G router had the same issue as Romano, i port forwarded, and the voice would still time out with it, but when i would connect directly to the modem, it wouldnt. i got another router now, Netgear, and this one doesnt have any issues at all with it

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

I have a Belkin wireless router right now. The port is forwarded, but I haven't contacted the company yet. (I'll need to do some in-depth looking at any such firewall for the router soon here.) Thanks for your help!

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

If you have the option to use Port Triggering instead of Port Forwarding, do that. You need to have UDP 3290 in the trigger/forward list, and ensure the timeout limit is not too low. On my Netgear router, the default timeout limit is something like 20 minutes. I now have it set to over 60 minutes.