You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VA Setup

Jacob Axford 1200418

Jacob Axford 1200418
Posted
Posted

Hi

I was wondering how I can start my own VA with £0 Budget Excluding Domain cost. I wanted to make one like thomson virtual Ive looked at SIMMILES but you have to pay for that.

Thanks

Andrew Morris 1008402
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but there is no way of making a free VA unless you know how to make web designs and you are knowledgeable in scripting (PHP, C++, JAVAScript, HTML ECT).

Andrew Morris

Enroute Controller

VATSIM VA Audit Manager

VATSIM Hit Squad Member

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

You can try out some free web service out there, like Freewebs. The only catch is, you cannot engage official VA partnership with VATSIM. But if you really want to build your own VA, a serious one, investing for a website is the first step. Otherwise, you may join an existing VA, observe how they do their operations - observe the management and all. You can view the list of current partners here: http://linksmanager.com/vatsimvas/

Good luck!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Jacob Axford 1200418
Posted
Posted

I figured it out it was easy

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Webhosts today are what, $3-4 a month? Practically free, and you get MySQL databases, emails, PHP...

Sava  Markovic 1109329
Posted
Posted
I figured it out it was easy

It really isn't I must be honest, if you want to be successful of course.

Making a web pages in webs.com isn't going to attract much pilots, if any.

VAs like that come and go every day.

I myself have a VA that I am strugling with. (http://www.skysim.net/airserbia , note to moderating team: no marketing/promoting intended, just trying to make a point)

Check the other topic you opened.

Throttle on,

Sava Markovic

SCGvACC Events Coordinator

Jacob Axford 1200418
Posted
Posted

Im buying a domain not using webs

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

A domain is just a name, it still has to be hosted somewhere.

Jacob Axford 1200418
Posted
Posted

Hosting Included One.com

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Aside from buying a domain and web hosting, etc. There are a lof of other things to consider before deciding to start up a VA.

There are over 300 VATSIM Partner VAs and each one of them is trying to get their share of pilots. I would take a look at what VAs already exist and see if you can come up with an idea for a VA that is unique and will attract pilots.

If you are able to come up with something unique then I wish you the best of luck. If you are going to open a VA for the sake of saying you have a VA, then I wouldn't bother. A side from spending some dollars, it take a lot of hours to develop a successful VA.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

James Bishop
Posted
Posted

+1 to Marc

Tim Farrell
Posted
Posted
Aside from buying a domain and web hosting, etc. There are a lof of other things to consider before deciding to start up a VA.

There are over 300 VATSIM Partner VAs and each one of them is trying to get their share of pilots. I would take a look at what VAs already exist and see if you can come up with an idea for a VA that is unique and will attract pilots.

If you are able to come up with something unique then I wish you the best of luck. If you are going to open a VA for the sake of saying you have a VA, then I wouldn't bother. A side from spending some dollars, it take a lot of hours to develop a successful VA.

Jacob,

To be a CEO of a successful VA, be prepared to invest not only hours, but days and months. Been doing this as a CEO for 3 years now. Pilots will not come easy as first and maybe not after a while either. I've encountered many highs and many lows along the way and it seems like everyday there is somethign new to deal with.

A good webmaster is certainly key. Most VA websites involve a lot of pirep maintanence, which can be time consuming in itself. When I had envisioned my VA, I wanted little or no restrictions and the freedom to fly anywhere in any aircraft regardless fo rank. Luckily, my VA is almost totally automated (pireps included), leaving my hub managers with little to do but fly, recruit and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist hub pilots. Even with almost total automation, I still find myself giving more time to the hobby than my wife would like me to be.

As Marc indicated, its tough!

Wish you nothing but the best!

Tim Farrell, FDC001

President/CEO

Freight Dogs virtual Air Cargo

[email protected]

www.freightdogs.info

President/CEO, FDC1601

Freight Dogs Virtual Air Cargo

http://www.freightdogcargo.org

[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...
Blake Gray 841141
Posted
Posted
You can try out some free web service out there, like Freewebs. The only catch is, you cannot engage official VA partnership with VATSIM. But if you really want to build your own VA, a serious one, investing for a website is the first step. Otherwise, you may join an existing VA, observe how they do their operations - observe the management and all. You can view the list of current partners here: http://linksmanager.com/vatsimvas/

Good luck!

I hardly feel having a free website dissallows one to 'engage official VA partnership with VATSIM'; if this is the case then please specify and quote such policy in their SOP's.

Flightsimming and Vatsim are and always will be free-to-play, and there will always be people who will donate their time and money for the benefit of us poor people to add extra enjoyment to a hobby that we all wish to do in real time - I know as I was a real pilot and had to stop due to health.

My VA has a free website and you are saying that if i get the active members I cannot become a VA partner because of this now (?); any other WRENCHES you would like to throw at us; I dont see this in VATSIM SOP's, and if I missed it and I have to spend money to have a VA now (?), than I am blind too and might as well not fly.

Mr Gray

"Keep The Shiny Side Up And The Greasy Side Down !"

Live Streaming Simulators KSP, TKOM, FSX, ARK

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

I believe you can become a VATSIM partner with a free web site, but not an ATO (Authorized Training Organization). However, having a free web site with adds splashed everywhere does not appeal to some pilots.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

its #6 on the VA partners application requirements. not sure when it was added, but its there

http://linksmanager.com/vatsimvas/add_link.html

Jacob Axford 1200418
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your help you lot and my website is now up , http://fastjetvirtual.co.uk launched it today!

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Flightsimming and Vatsim are and always will be free-to-play, and there will always be people who will donate their time and money for the benefit of us poor people to add extra enjoyment to a hobby that we all wish to do in real time - I know as I was a real pilot and had to stop due to health.

Emphasis mine.

My VA has a free website and you are saying that if i get the active members I cannot become a VA partner because of this now (?); any other WRENCHES you would like to throw at us; I dont see this in VATSIM SOP's, and if I missed it and I have to spend money to have a VA now (?), than I am blind too and might as well not fly.

As has been pointed out by Ernesto, there's a requirement that a VATSIM VA partner isn't relying on free web services and optimally has their own domain name.

Consider this from a pilot's perspective - if they are going to invest a significant amount of time and energy with a virtual airline, they want to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociate with a VA whose team has obviously invested a significant amount of time, effort and money of their own. There's a long history in virtual airlines of VA sites that look like they were cobbled together over a weekend and a few weeks later you get a 404 error and they're gone. The other situation is you have what was formerly a good site whose staff moves on and turns into a VA zombie.

The harsh but honest truth is that if you have a static HTML site on a free web provider that litters it with ads, you're not going to attract any meaningful numbers of pilots. End of story. Sorry.

The good news is that since I got involved with virtual airlines in early 2001, the cost required to create a dynamic web site has dropped by several orders of magnitude. Domain names can be obtained for less than $10, and a basic web host with PHP and mySQL support can be had for a similar amount per month. In absolute terms (never mind inflation-adjusted) that's almost free compared to 2001. And if you can't spend $10-20 a month on your VA, then you're probably not in a situation to manage a virtual airline.

I recognize that there are those among us for whom $20 a month is a much bigger sacrifice than it is for me, and that number might have gone up in recent years. That too is unfortunate, but if you can't commit that much money you are probably better off joining an existing organization and working within them. They are a great way of aggregating talents across large populations and allowing people to specialize in what they do best.

I've been exceptionally fortunate in both of the virtual airlines that I belong to. I am a technologist - I work for a major US cable network and web site, and helping out my virtual airlines on the technology side has been a great diversion as well as a source of cross-pollination to and from work. I've also been fortunate enough over the years to help on the financial side. At the same time, my time is unpredictable and I don't always have the demeanor to handle the various questions and interactions a busy site requires - and I have been very lucky to meet several dozen folks who do. Each of us can specialize in an area we do best. Perhaps that is the route for you?

You will give up the ability to influence and shape 100% of your virtual airline. At the same time you probably will end up a part of a much more significant entity. It really comes down to how big of a pie you want a slice of?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Plenty of webhosts out there for $3-$7 a month.

Blake Gray 841141
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Well it would be nice to see that VA Partner Application since that info was not available prior to me creating my VA, as I would expect a VA to be operational for 3 months prior to actually applying; I will go back and check that link otherwise I may just ask for a VA Partner application. (EDIT: I found that link - Interesting).

Now you say optimally not use a free site; well my particular site has no ads; I dont think theres even popups as my popup blocker seems to work there; I dont have a problem with ads.

The look of the site needs work and the menu seems not to be Firefox compatible I found out so ya there is work to do; probly a little more work than on a pay site.

If I were expecting 30 or more members of course I would probly move up the site but with the expectation of a small amount of quality pilots and staff I see no need to pay a single cent; that is if the site doesnt have ad popups unders and overs etc...I can understand that...my site is fairly clean and has been there a year or more; very reliable and I even think they have pay options as well.

So as to the no free website allowed on #6 of that application - I think that is abit strong; what difference does a website make as long as it isnt covered with ads? Besides I can always keep it free until when and if I get 3 months of 10 active pilots to see if it is actualy worth it or not as well.

My opinion for what it is worth.

Mr Gray

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

To simply put, we've added that restriction to save ourselves from extra work later down the road. (it's not really about ads, or pop ups)

Why? Virtual Airlines that relying on free hosting are the usual ones that vanish after some time.. this is no stereotype, and we've seen plenty. I deal with 3-6 on average VA applications daily and right now we have 418 listed partners, in order to ensure the quality of these partners, we audit them regularly to know if they're still in compliance with our partnership criteria. Believe me when I tell you that we've seen VA that just come and go, some of which are official network partners too.

The group that ensures that these criteria is still being observed are the audit managers. Composed of a small group of volunteers. Bottom line is, this measure is just to ensure that all our affiliates are maintaining a good quality. There are hundreds of new virtual pilots out there, eager to join a virtual airline. Our partner list is the usual go-to directory, and we can't just post anyone's VA out there without any conformance to any guidelines. That's the very essence of these requirements/criteria. We're putting this into effect for the benefit of prospective members, I'm pretty sure someone would throw their forks if we just keep posting links of overnight VAs led by a 11 year old kid. See the bigger picture now?

At the end of the day.. a VA is in NO WAY compelled to establish affiliation with our network. Your VA, or anyone else' for that matter can still operate on the network [unless it's VSOA ops] & hire VATSIM members without any problem. And as mentioned above, a VA founder/president will have to show some form of commitment to the VA, investing on a web hosting service is the first step. It is after all, practically (almost) free these days. Lastly, this restriction is not likely to go away any time soon.

PS. We are not terminating existing partners that gained affiliation before this measure was put in to place.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Blake Gray 841141
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I didnt realize there were so many people trying to become a VA Partner; there has to be standardization so I dont have a problem with that.

My site(s) intend to become VSOA Partner at a later point so probly even more so with an ad-free site and better database and 'HOPEFULLY' hacker-free website; php and mysql was prone to hacking. My Pirep page is another matter < defintely an ad problem there but again thanks for the explanation.

Nothing like moving up in the world... Wait maybe flying up is a better term!

Blake