You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is there a Pyongyang FIR divison in VATSIM?

Diego Daudt

Diego Daudt
Posted
Posted

Just wondering...

I went on VATSPY and saw above Incheon FIR that there is Pyongyang FIR.... Does anyone actually control there or is it just open?

1199250.jpg

^ That.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

there are several areas in VATASIA that dont currently have any staffing. North Korea, Myanmar, Laos, several others.

if the Asia FSS idea is p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed by the govs, you may have ATC in those areas soon tho

Diego Daudt
Posted
Posted
there are several areas in VATASIA that dont currently have any staffing. North Korea, Myanmar, Laos, several others.

if the Asia FSS idea is p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed by the govs, you may have ATC in those areas soon tho

What happens if somebody wants to ATC there though? Can't they just go and log on or do they have to wait for a FIR? (I understand about the charts, but just wondering)

1199250.jpg

^ That.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

nope, not that im aware of. you would have to seek permission from the region (VATASIA) or be a hit squad member if they are providing coverage for the area, or however it is the hit squad members do it, not fully aware of their policies

Diego Daudt
Posted
Posted
nope, not that im aware of. you would have to seek permission from the region (VATASIA) or be a hit squad member if they are providing coverage for the area, or however it is the hit squad members do it, not fully aware of their policies

Interesting. I was just wondering because there are a lot of flights outbound of ZKPY to RKSI or nearby Gunaghzou (no idea what the code is).

1199250.jpg

^ That.

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

I remember this. We created a bunch of PyongYang SOP's and sector files that were shot down. Do NOT control this area. You will get reported by other ATC's in the area that dislike the prospect of a Pyongyang FIR, with pending suspension. Seek approval from the Asia Region of Vatsim first.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Diego Daudt
Posted
Posted
other ATC's in the area that dislike the prospect of a Pyongyang FIR, with pending suspension.

What don't they like?

1199250.jpg

^ That.

Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

Email either VATASIA1 or VATASIA2 requesting permission. Normally if you are a controller wtih good record, there should be no reason as to why they would stop more online presence in their region.

Arjun

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted

I actually saw Pyongyang staffed once by Chinese controllers, however, when I asked the VATSIM China head honcho about it, he said they should not control there and that it was infact, VATSIM wise a part of VATKOR (Korea), and due to the policical situation on the Korean peninsula it was a no-go, and while I'm not sure nor have asked, the VATASIA-people probably agree. I'll give the same advice as the others in this thread, talk to the VATASIA people, they, if any, can answer the question.

I have flown in and out from ZKPY (Pyongyang/Sunan Int'l) a few times, and there's nothing stopping you to do that on VATSIM, however, as we use real world navigation data, there are no airways or anything between ZKPY and RKSI, for obvious reasons. Even though VATSIM is supposed to be politically neutral, there is a chance you'll upset people that control down south, do keep in mind this is a very hot potato in that region of the world even though many of us in the west don't "see what the fuzz is all about" when it's "only" VATSIM.

I'm not telling anyone what you can and cannot do, and personally I think all places are interesting destinations to fly to regardless of the political situation, but I also respect other people when it comes to sensitive issues. As for flying in North Korea, following available navigational data, there's one airway going east to Vladivostok, Russia and one going west to Beijing, China.

Happy flying!

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Diego Daudt
Posted
Posted
I actually saw Pyongyang staffed once by Chinese controllers, however, when I asked the VATSIM China head honcho about it, he said they should not control there and that it was infact, VATSIM wise a part of VATKOR (Korea), and due to the policical situation on the Korean peninsula it was a no-go, and while I'm not sure nor have asked, the VATASIA-people probably agree. I'll give the same advice as the others in this thread, talk to the VATASIA people, they, if any, can answer the question.

I have flown in and out from ZKPY (Pyongyang/Sunan Int'l) a few times, and there's nothing stopping you to do that on VATSIM, however, as we use real world navigation data, there are no airways or anything between ZKPY and RKSI, for obvious reasons. Even though VATSIM is supposed to be politically neutral, there is a chance you'll upset people that control down south, do keep in mind this is a very hot potato in that region of the world even though many of us in the west don't "see what the fuzz is all about" when it's "only" VATSIM.

I'm not telling anyone what you can and cannot do, and personally I think all places are interesting destinations to fly to regardless of the political situation, but I also respect other people when it comes to sensitive issues. As for flying in North Korea, following available navigational data, there's one airway going east to Vladivostok, Russia and one going west to Beijing, China.

Happy flying!

Oh, I understand. I respect SK as a whole, so I won't do that.

1199250.jpg

^ That.

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

Supervisors will look at the South Korean FIR and refer to it as VATKOR, controlling both North and South portions. I personally disagree with this because the two sides of Korea is in no way or should not be under the same jurisdiction. Maybe in a couple of years it will be looked on a little more lightly and maybe given a control area. However, for now it is not allowed.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

• 5 years later...
Pedro Rodrigues 1377186
Posted
Posted

From their site:

VATKOR is authorized to have a jurisdiction of air

traffic control in Incheon Flight Information

Region and Pyongyang Flight Information Region.

* ATC in Pyongyang FIR is limited and will be provided with Jeppssen chart based procedure.

VATKOR is NOT affiliated with any real-world organization regarding to Pyongyang FIR.

quoting from http://www.vatkor.net/xe/incheon_vacc_eng

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Contender for the 2017 Necropost of the year award!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations