You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Recent Bugs

William Lewis

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

I really am not sure what has changed to cause these bugs but here is what i am experiencing lately.

For starters I am running Windows 7 and the program is running as admin. These errors are showing up in my standard VRC install which i have been using for years and also a fresh brand new install.

When i first load VRC it provides 2 errors

1.Could not retrieve server list from network. Using the cached server list and user-defined servers.

This causes a it to be very difficult as the server data is not downloaded and only old not current servers are listed so i am unable to connect. Now i know how to correct this by creating a my servers list and manually adding them but as an ATM i need to make sure that the ZTL members are not experiencing the same errors and are able to connect.

2. Error: Version check failed! HTTP error.

As it one of my setups is a fresh install i know it is the latest version but i am unsure why i it is unable to check.

After i get VRC running and connected to the network i run across a third error that frankly makes it a little difficult to control.

VRC is not reading the aircraft_info.dat and VRC does not recognize any aircraft. If i check an aircraft's info it returns "Error: Type code not found in database." I receive this error for any AC i select and i have even opened the .dat file to make sure the equipment code is listed the same. This make it difficult when I am running a terminal area as the "H" heavy indicator does not appear in the data block. Again this is both on my long running and fresh installs.

I am not sure if i am alone in these errors or if these are common among other users but i have been toying around the last few days trying to find an answer and have yet to find one.

The above pertains to United States

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The first two errors sound like something is blocking VRC from making HTTP (web) connections. It needs to be able to pull the server list via the web, same with the latest version number.

As for the aircraft lookup error, I'm not sure what might be causing that. Did you make any edits to the file?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

I am not sure what is blocking it, I have working all morning on this. No firewall installed, Router has all ports open to my computers MAC address as well as DMZ opened to my computers MAC address so it does not block any incoming request as well.

No changes to any files. I have done all of this on a fresh install and still get the errors just as i did only my longtime running VRC install.

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I just took a closer look at the VRC source code, and if the version check fails, this can also cause the aircraft_info.dat file load to be skipped over. The reason is because part of the version check also checks the version of the aircraft_info.dat file to see if there is an updated version, in which case VRC downloads the latest aircraft_info.dat. Since your VRC is evidently begin blocked from accessing the web, then the version check is failing, and this is causing the aircraft_info.dat file load to be skipped over. (The logic is a bit convoluted, but that's what is most likely happening.)

In other words, if you can figure out what is blocking VRC from accessing the web, that should fix all three problems.

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

any ideas other than firewall or router?

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When you say you have no firewall installed, does that include the one that comes built in to Windows? Do you have that disabled?

Are you running VRC as an administrator?

Do you use a web proxy? (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume not ... grasping at straws.)

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

both Windows firewall and router firewall are currently disable.

I attempted a traceroute on my router and came upon this however.

traceroute to www.metacraft.com (69.57.130.83), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

1 22.399 ms 20.530 ms 27.313 ms 107.9.128.1

2 10.186 ms 8.949 ms 8.733 ms 24.164.110.97

3 11.923 ms 10.936 ms 9.585 ms 24.164.111.224

4 10.643 ms 9.033 ms 11.607 ms 24.164.111.166

5 26.920 ms 12.409 ms 10.222 ms 65.25.137.9

6 13.471 ms 16.280 ms 11.172 ms 65.189.140.130

7 18.742 ms 20.643 ms 18.788 ms 107.14.19.14

8 20.191 ms 19.743 ms 21.558 ms 107.14.19.135

9 21.891 ms 19.213 ms 20.959 ms 66.109.9.218

10 20.903 ms 25.417 ms 25.997 ms 173.192.18.194

11 38.146 ms 37.218 ms 34.484 ms 173.192.18.153

12 73.227 ms 118.486 ms 57.584 ms 173.192.18.134

13 81.969 ms 61.707 ms 63.079 ms 173.192.18.221

14 78.892 ms 63.091 ms 58.998 ms 173.192.18.239

15 61.643 ms 58.343 ms 62.118 ms 70.87.253.106

16 71.312 ms 87.355 ms 74.696 ms 207.218.223.18

17 * * * 207.218.223.18 Request timed out.

18 * * * 207.218.223.18 Request timed out.

19 * * * 207.218.223.18 Request timed out.

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

My server is configured not to respond to traceroute requests, so that's not surprising. Although your traceroute is timing out on 207.218.223.18 which is not my server ... that's a router upstream from my server. Not sure why that would timeout for you.

I'm afraid I'm stumped as to why VRC can't access the web from your machine.

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

Yes also tried a Ping and got a request time out. Does your server block these as well?

37.png

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

Ok so trying to trouble shoot this i by p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the router and plugged directly into the modem and still no luck.

Here is where my computer is standing

firewall.png

This is becoming quite frustrating.

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Yes also tried a Ping and got a request time out. Does your server block these as well?

Yes.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you can access the metacraft.com web site just fine from a browser on the same computer?

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

I can view the site.

to retouch on previous questions yes it is in admin mode. I have tried w/ or w/o compatibility mode. No Web Proxy here.

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Got me stumped ... wish I could help.

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

anyway to byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a version check?

37.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

sorry if i missed this...are both installs on the same PC? if not try installing on a separate machine and hook er up to the network

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
anyway to byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a version check?

No, there isn't.

I wonder if it might help if you searched the registry for metacraft.com or for its IP address, to see if maybe somehow there is something configured in Windows security settings to block it. Another shot in the dark...

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

They are both on the same machine. I have already determined that the trouble is unique to this machine but that information has does not really help me figure out what on this machine is not allowing the version check.

37.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

for kicks and giggles grab malwarebytes(its free) restart your machine in safe mode and run the the VS and see if it catches anything not so nice. I had an infection on one of my test machines that would force a fail when they tried to connect to any update feeds a couple years back.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group