You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Recommended specifications for my computer

Sean Averre 1138957

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Hello,

as you may or may not know Im fairly new here. Finally Ive had my first flight over the weekend on vatsim, IT WAS AMAZING. I just want to say thanks to everyone, especially the controllers who have been patient with me when I mess things up from time to time. Anyway just one issue I have is my computer. It either freezes, CTD or runs out of memory. It is very annoying. Ive dramatically reduced the sliders but its less fun because the quality is so low, and very disappointing because I fly the NGX and it is know to be very very realistic, so thats a bit of a waste. So Im going to upgrade my computer so that I don`t have that trouble anymore. First of all I just want to know some recommendations for what to get and most importantly what is causing it to freeze, CTD, run out of memory etc. Which component is it and which brand is the best of it? My thoughts are RAM, video card or CPU. My plan is to buy a better CPU and more RAM. Maybe video card as well. I may be rich but moneys tight so please do post some recommendations below and useful advises.

Thanks guys

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

if you could tell us what you're current system has so we have an idea of he starting point to better [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you be sure to include FS version and OS

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Windows vista 64 bit intel duo core RAM2GB acer desktop

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

A bit more info is needed, if you could post the model number, the specs could be found easier. But you definitely need 4gb ram.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

since you're running a 64bit OS i would find out what the max amount of RAM it'll support then go from there. at a min I would bring it up to 4Gb....if you can go 6 or 8Gb even better.

crucial.com has a free scanner that will give you a break down of the type and amount of ram you have installed and the manufacturers max amount that you can install.

You might be able to install more then what the manufacturer says can be installed but it'll take researching alternate BIOS upgrades from someone other then the manufacturer and will void the Warranty in most cases.

Richard Gerrish

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Well Im definitely getting more RAM, 4 to 8GB (please make a recommendation) and a new CPU. Its either intel i5 or i7 which ever is better (please recommend again) and in the end if I can spend more ill get another video card, Nvidia560TI

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

if you're going to move to an Intel chip you're going to need to upgrade your motherboard that will also require you to get brand spankin new ram that will compatible with your Mobo. personally I like my I7 however the I5 is a good option as well. You'll also need to upgrade your power supply if you're going to add the 560Ti

Richard Gerrish

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

So I need to get a new mother board, CPU, RAM? That can`t be to bad can it? What do you recommend I do right now?

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

would a ram drive be any good to solve my issues?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Sean

yor getting bits of info rather than the full deal.

Based on what your saying its going to be hard to upgrade your old pc. You will might aswell start from scratch. I'm not to sure who the best suppliers are in the US, but for comparison have a look at www.overclockers.co.uk

Your going to need

Mobo (asus)

ddr3 ram (8gb)

i5 2500k intel sandybridge cpu

ATI GFX card

SATA HDD (preferably two 500 gig drives)

DVD read/writer

WIN7 64bit

700watt powersupply

New case preferably twr.

So there you go cost all that up and build it yourself.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

I might not do that, Ill make that my final option. Can you tell me if a RAMdrive would do any good? What can I do to my current PC to make it run better?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted
I might not do that, Ill make that my final option. Can you tell me if a RAMdrive would do any good? What can I do to my current PC to make it run better?

More ram

a gfx card that will work in your mobo

windows 7 64bit

Windows alone will feel like a hradware upgrade.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

More ram

a gfx card that will work in your mobo

windows 7 64bit

Windows alone will feel like a hardware upgrade.

Wycliffe

+1 also plan on upgrading your Power Supply when you add the new video card, 250W that's listed on acers website won't have the output to power everything.

Richard Gerrish

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Im actually not sure wether my CPU is intel or not, Ill find out this sunday. But without the CPU can getting more ram be easy or do I still need to get a new computer for that?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Sean

Without sounding rude, but your machine is quite old, when one considers Moores law. You might still be able to buy some ram for you present mobo, but you will need to do some research regarding the spec of your mother board and the specific ram it needs.

Given todays prices and the results you will obtain you may well be better off going the route some of us have a suggested.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

wycliffe has a valid point. The older models of ram, depending on where you are, can be a royal pain the rear to find and depending on the type not cost effective.

Richard Gerrish

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

no offence taken,

anyway the specs I provided were wrong. Im here with my computer now and have the real deal,

windows vista 32GB (I really thought it was 64 intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz 2.39GHz RAM 3327

but it might mean Ill be able to upgrade it to an intel i7, the 32gb and not knowing that was tragic. Anyway Im maybe going to wait for the windows 8 (anyone know the release date?) and definetly needs more RAM. Otherwise I can upgrade it quite well

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

not for a while yet. there are still quite a few bugs that MS has to work out before its released. With as stable as Win 7 currently is I'd play it safe and go with it. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure that your current mobo does not have correct socket to use the I7

Richard Gerrish

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

so ill take this as a final decision, how long till we can confirm windows 8 is good? I need to make up my mind either to wait for windows 8 or to get windows 7. Yesterday my fsx just wont work and Ive removed it until I get everything I need upgraded

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Rumor mill says next Feb for general beta and release client dates but other then that no release date is set in stone. if they release around the same time as they released vista it'll be jan of 2013, if they follow closer to windows 7 then it'll be oct of 2013. Either way you're looking at another two year to wait and see if the product is going to be worth the money or if it'll flop for most user applications like vista did.

Richard Gerrish

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I think it'll be soon. The benefits are mainly if you are using a "single" app such as on a tablet or smartphone. I don't even think they're really trying to market it as a desktop replacement, at least not yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

I got windows 7 64bit XD and now Im after getting some more RAM. Its just choosing which one is the problem and I would appreciate some help with. Firstly Im either after 8GB or 16GB which ever one is better. And Im looking for the best performance stick. Thanks guys

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
crucial.com will tell you what your motherboard has and what type and max amount it can handle. Once you know that information its a simple matter of finding it in a brand and price range you're looking for.

Richard Gerrish

• 1 month later...
Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

got cpu-z and now reconsidering some upgrades, I will give you guys the info tomorrow