You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Recommended specifications for my computer

Sean Averre 1138957

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

according to cpu-z my motherboard is Acer G33T-AM

can that handle an intel i5 or i7? I think I will get a new CPU

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

from what I gather it will only support the old Duo-Cores. I think as upgradable as they want to make products appear, the fact is most are obsolete by the time they even hit storeshelves these days. the only time I actually ever did ugrade a cpu was going from a 486-33 to a 66mhz

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Sean

Here's the deal.

Save some money and then go for a bundle kit.

Even then you will need to check whether your GFX card is going to fit, once again Moore's law is kicking in and trying to upgrade an older machine is going to be beset with problems.

www.overclockers.co.uk are very good atthis sort of thing, I'm sure there will be an equivalent in your local area.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2053

You could go the whole nine yards and just buy new

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2040

They will ship but of course you then have to deal with import tax etc

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

damn, damn, damn

what else can I do other than buy a new pc? Would a new video card help? If so what kind can I use and is there a limit?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Sean

I have just done a quick search on Google and came across a post dating from 2009 in relation to your motherboard. 2009 is like the dark ages in terms of computer developement. I found an image for it and I can tell you now, you wont get an i5 or an i7 on it but you already know that. I dont think you will get the new gfx cards onto it either. So my friend, it really does look like your going to have to save your dollars/yen/bucks/pounds or euros and buy a new PC.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info,

sadly Im really limited in the next 10 years or more, flight training has just begun so Im sure I wont be able to ask my dad for a new PC. But just incase I can save up for one any advice on what I can get?

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the info,

sadly Im really limited in the next 10 years or more, flight training has just begun so Im sure I wont be able to ask my dad for a new PC. But just incase I can save up for one any advice on what I can get?

To be honest, I would say that the best thing to do is to save up and build your own. pre-builts are convenient, especially with all of the things that are pre-installed, but you save a lot of money, and learn a lot by building your own. Plus, you don't have to worry the up-front cost; you can buy the parts as you go.

To be honest, building your own is a lot easier now than it had been, say, 12 years ago. with things being color coordinated, it's hard to mess up a build.

Perhaps we should start a thread here about builds or what our pilots' and controllers' builds are..

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Or what if I can get a new motherboard that can have the i3, i5, i7 and use the other parts I already have?...

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

I went to the shops today (Im sure people are familiar with the famous Japanese shop, bic camera) and looked at motherboards and CPUs. So I really am keen to try and reuse most parts I currently have. The CPU (intel i7, 5, 3) costs approximately ¥30,000, motherboard (asus intel socket 2011) was the same which adds up to ¥60,000 and plus DDR3s which for 8gb is ¥10,000 which takes us up to 70,000. Now for flight school that would be equivalent to 7 hours worth of flying. Is there any other parts I should look for?

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

I would check your case to insure that the new mobo will fit in your current case and that your Power supple will have enough head room. If not then thats 2 more things to add to the list.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Im not to worried about the case but the power, first thing I don`t know much about it and how to do it. But if thats all then thats a pretty good deal, mobo+cpu+ram

Think Im actually gonna do that

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

There's a link around here somewhere that is a calculator to help gauge the size of PSU you need for your setup. I'll see if i can find it once i get home. Someone might beat me to it tho too.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

thanks mate, this is actually a reasonable upgrade for me

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Just did a currency conversion and 70,000 yen is £543 pounds sterling which is a little expensive for what you have sourced.

This bundle is considerably cheaper but of course you would have import tax to pay and shipping on top.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-063-OE

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted
Just did a currency conversion and 70,000 yen is £543 pounds sterling which is a little expensive for what you have sourced.

This bundle is considerably cheaper but of course you would have import tax to pay and shipping on top.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-063-OE

Wycliffe

Hi Wycliffe,

first off cheers for the ATC today

I think the import taxes here make it just about the same price as the one I saw at the shop yesterday

Sean Averre 1138957
Posted
Posted

Ok so I have decided that Im going to get

Motherboard: Asus intel 2011p9x79 (havn`t decided wether its going to be pro, deluxe or the normal one)

CPU: intel i7 2600k 3.0GHz

Memory: DDR3 8GB RAM (dunno which brand yet)

And use the remaining parts I have

Before I buy these any advice you guys have?

• 1 year later...
Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted
Sean

yor getting bits of info rather than the full deal.

Based on what your saying its going to be hard to upgrade your old pc. You will might aswell start from scratch. I'm not to sure who the best suppliers are in the US, but for comparison have a look at http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Your going to need

Mobo (asus)

ddr3 ram (8gb)

i5 2500k intel sandybridge cpu

ATI GFX card

SATA HDD (preferably two 500 gig drives)

DVD read/writer

WIN7 64bit

700watt powersupply

New case preferably twr.

So there you go cost all that up and build it yourself.

Given that FSX hasn't really changed, is it fair to say that these specs would still be good today? My computer died today, so I'm up for a newbie. Looking for some current specs. Is windows 8 an option for fsx and top shelf addons?

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png