You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Expressway visual

Michael Eamer

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I was flying into New York LaGuardia and ATC asked me if I wanted an expressway visual to Rwy 31 or an ILS approach to Rwy 4.

I would like to know what an expressway visual is, never heard of it before.

Thank you all!

Mike : posting.php?mode=post&f=6&sid=250141035130f15173e71a6bd9a64fbe#

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

heres some youtube videos that show it

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=expressway+visual+31&oq=expressway+visual&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=56l2398l0l4845l15l12l0l2l2l2l1263l2999l2.2.4.1.7-1l10l0

its a fun one to fly. its a little tricky in FS since you have to rely a bit on the scenery being correct so you can see where the expressway is etc..

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Thank you, Ernesto,

Now I understand enough to know I'll ask for an ILS approach next time I fly into KLGA.

Mike

David Malinowski 1087539
Posted
Posted

Are you sure?

The expwy vis is a lot of fun. And I mean a lot of fun!

Current occasional pilot

Former New York ARTCC Level 5 Approach Controller | Former Jacksonville ARTCC and vatUK SE/EGLL RTS Visitor

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I've been thinking about my last comment and I'd like to take it back.

I've since reviewed the approach plate and visualized it in my head.

Next time, if i'm offered the choice, I'll try it. yes it should be a lot of fun!

Thanks for your help, David.

Mike

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Kudos, gentlemen!

Here is a fantastic example of a question, a kind, professional answer with examples, an opinion, an invitation to look at the other side of that opinion, and a resolution, all done in a kind, professional manner and a great ending. This is just a wonderful example of good, community interaction on these forums.

Well done!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Mike, I don't think you'll have any trouble flying the Express into LGA. I've done it several times in FS9 and if you look closely, the default "cues" are there, even the twin tanks and the park.

It's a lotta fun as David pointed out. Give it a shot. I love doing visual approaches. One of my favorite is the Mount Vernon into DCA. Watching for Jefferson's home is a treat, but it's there...at least in FS9.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted
Here is a fantastic example of a question, a kind, professional answer with examples, an opinion, an invitation to look at the other side of that opinion, and a resolution, all done in a kind, professional manner and a great ending. This is just a wonderful example of good, community interaction on these forums.

Agreed. And that's saying a lot...me being me and all...

One of my favorite is the Mount Vernon into DCA. Watching for Jefferson's home is a treat, but it's there...at least in FS9.

I was about to say "you sure you're not thinking of the Riv Vis?" but then you mentioned the house and I caught on. It was actually Washington's house, not that it matters too much (all fits in the past president genre). To be honest, I've never looked for it in the sim, but I can't recall the last time I got an approach to 1. Then again, I don't do much DCA flying.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Kyle,

You're right, Mount Vernon-Washington, Monticello-Jefferson...my bad...

And it is definitely there in FS9 default scenery. Just before you reach the river if going southbound (which is the only way I've ever approached it). Woodrow Wilson bridge and the stack for the Powerplant are there as well (I have the stack giving off smoke with an addon from AVSIM). Don't know about the Masonic Temple. Cool approach.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted

Randy,

No worries. I live right in the DC area, so it's been ingrained in my head since I was pretty young.

I haven't ever looked for the Masonic Temple in there to be honest, but I'd argue that's one of the easiest to spot on the skyline in the real world.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.