You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Events Needed For Rest Of Canada

Aharon Dayan

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my VATCAN pals,

During this year, I have noticed that 90 percent of Canadian events were centered on CYYZ Toronto and 10 percent was focused on northeastern Canada. None for rest of Canada. None for Vancouver, none for Ottawa, none for Calgary, none for Victoria international airport (nobody knows about amazing payware quality CYYJ scenery by Don that is FREEWARE), none for Edmonton, and so on. None for Yellowknife airport too.

Don't all of you think it is about time to re-distribute the events evenly to every part of Canada??? For the coming new year 2012, may I suggest 2 VATCAN events per month (one per airport) while showing even distribution among airports throughout Canada so that this way you have VATCAN event for each of 24 different Canadian airports to cover for the year of 2012 for pilots to enjoy?

For instance On date of first two weeks of January Yellowknife airport, on date of last two weeks of January Calgary airport, on date of first two weeks of Feb Vancouver airport, on date of last two weeks of Feb Ottawa airport, and so on.

Perfect even distribution among Canada.

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Alan Taylor 825557
Posted
Posted

Hi Aaron,

Been a long time...are you volunteering to organize these twice monthly events? As you may not be aware of, VATCAN have tried to "put" on events in the past with mixed results, much depends on the pilots actually flying during an event. Each FIR has hosted weekly event nights, unfortunately due to poor or non-existent traffic flying during these nights most are no longer run each week. I noticed in your post that you forgot to mention the weekly Moncton and Montreal nights that are still ongoing. Also missing from your "stats" is the twice annual VATCAN participation in Cross the Pond which also heavily involves Moncton, Gander, Montreal, Gander Oceanic and Toronto.

Contrary to your belief, there have been events in both Ottawa and Calgary this past year, guess you must've missed them huh? Victoria rarely hosts any events as Vancouver is the major airport in BC which has hosted several events all organized by VAs and various pilot groups and almost always tries to accomodate traffic to and from Victoria, in fact we have been involved with both ZSE and ZAN as recently as week before last. Winnipeg has hosted several small events as has Edmonton so I'm not actually sure how you arrived at your conclusions.

I agree that VATCAN should host more events and we intend to become more active as hosts in the coming year to repay our "regular" pilots who fly with us all through the year as well as Canadian Express VA who supply us with lots of impromptu traffic. Most news and event notices in VATCAN are of course handled through our website and forums at http://vatcan.org but you still don't have access to that forum and I don't see that changing in the near future.

If you would like to request ATC for an event you are planning in Canada please don't hesitate to contact our Director of Communications, Tim Barber - VATCAN5 who can be reached through the VATCAN Staff page that you can access easily and freely. The same goes for any VATSIM VA or pilot group who wish to make use of VATCAN's ATC services...we would gladly participate in any events you would like to fly in Canadian airspace.

Season's Greetings to all VATSIM members and wishing you all a happy and prosperous New Year in 2012. We look forward to serving you all.

VATCAN1

Director, VATSIM - Canada Division

Vancouver,B.C. - YVR

825557.jpg

atc1o.png

VATSIM Supervisor

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
Hi Aaron,

I noticed in your post that you forgot to mention the weekly Moncton and Montreal nights that are still ongoing. Also missing from your "stats" is the twice annual VATCAN participation in Cross the Pond which also heavily involves Moncton, Gander, Montreal, Gander Oceanic and Toronto.

You failed to notice my words in my post "10 percent for northeastern Canada" which covered the airports that you said in your quotation as seen above.

Also missing from your "stats" is the twice annual VATCAN participation in Cross the Pond which also heavily involves Moncton, Gander, Montreal, Gander Oceanic and Toronto.

Actual fact is that Cross The Pond was for Toronto for landings or take offs which was part of 90 percent that I mentioned. They do not take off or land in other airports unless fuel emergency. Therefore more events for Toronto.

I agree that VATCAN should host more events

Good Then I look forward to that

Each FIR has hosted weekly event nights, unfortunately due to poor or non-existent traffic flying during these nights most are no longer run each week. Most news and event notices in VATCAN are of course handled through our website and forums at http://vatcan.org

That is because VATCAN does not advertise weekly about events of each FIR on VATSIM forums therefore nobody knows about that and they do not go to VATCAN forums all the time to read. They go to VATSIM forums all the time to do reading. How do pilots supposed to know that Calgary and Edmonton had Tuesday Night events which I participated only to find out nobody showed up because nobody knew about this. How do people supposed to know about Montreal FIR Wednesday nights if pilots do not see announcements on Vatsim?? That is why Vatsim forums create Canada subforum and Fly Events subforum for people to read. If Vatcan posts even announcements on Vatcan forums which is open to public such as me, then they should post same announcements on Vatsim's Canada subforum and Fly Events forums so that vatsim pilots who always monitor Vatsim forums not Vatcan forums can be informed. The main reason I know about FIRs' local events is that I read VATCAN forums every single day BUT all VATSIM pilots do not read VATCAN forums. They monitor VATSIM forums therefore they do not know about it meaning lack of pilots for FIRs' local weekly events. Israeli VATIL advertises every week letting people know about weekly local event. KBOS FIR always advertises every week about KBOS' Monday nights event. Many airports in America and Europe always let people know every week on VATSIM forums about local FIR weekly nights events.

Alan Taylor 825557 wrote:We intend to become more active as hosts in the coming year to repay our "regular" pilots who fly with us all through the year as well as Canadian Express VA who supply us with lots of impromptu traffic.

Good to know and I look forward to more VATCAN activity in the coming year but don't you think it is prejudicial to advertise one virtual airline over other virtual airlines based in Canada especially CVA (Canadian Virtual Airlines at www.canadianva.com for which I am flying for) has been on VATCAN skies TEN or twelve years longer than 90 percent of all active virtual airlines based in Canada including two year old Canadian Xpress (not Canadian Express)????

Thank you for your reply agreeing that VATCAN should have more events for every part of Canada.

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Alan Taylor 825557
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your feedback, no there is nothing prejudicial about naming the only virtual Canadian airline that consistently flies/organizes in our airspace...it has been a very long time since pilots using the CVA callsign have graced our skies (I know as I was a member of that VA for years) and we still see virtual Air Canada callsigns even though they have long since stopped sponsoring/hosting/organizing events in Canada.

I am in error of omitting the very strong virtual Westjet presence in Canada, but didn't mention them as there seems to be issues with exactly how many of them there are and who has rights to use the WJA callsign. I won't be naming every VA that flies in Canada or is based in Canada, they all know who they are and that their presence in VATCAN airspace is greatly appreciated by everyone at VATCAN.

I make no apologies for Toronto being a vibrant and active FIR, quite the opposite in fact, they are doing a tremendous job promoting their airspace and quality air traffic control which places them as a highly regarded VATSIM ATC unit and a source of inspiration to the other VATCAN FIRs

We differ somewhat on the definition of what constitutes Northeastern Canada, so I won't touch on that point and beating the others around serves no useful purpose. I do like and agree with your comments about the FIRs advertising more on and in VATSIM and will reintroduce this idea to the FIRs at the next VATCAN MAG Meeting, slated for late December or early January.

It has always been our goal to serve the members of VATSIM and provide good, user-friendly ATC to everyone...this hasn't changed and won't in the future, but there is a certain onus on the pilots and VAs (all of them) to let us/me know how we can best serve them, if it's by organizing and setting up events for them or just being willing participants in their events...we are here to provide a service to the community in whatever form is required.

So I invite everyone to check us out in the coming year...I am proud of the service our membership provide and we would especially like to hear from groups or pilots who would like to participate in rebuilding air traffic in VATSIM - Canada's airspace in 2012. I wish the Best of the Season to everyone in VATSIM and look forward to continued progress and prosperity for all next year.

VATCAN1

Director, VATSIM - Canada Division

Vancouver,B.C. - YVR

825557.jpg

atc1o.png

VATSIM Supervisor

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
I make no apologies for Toronto being a vibrant and active FIR, quite the opposite in fact, they are doing a tremendous job promoting their airspace and quality air traffic control

I have no problem with CYYZ having many many events but when a pilot such as me has been participating in many CYYZ events this year, any pilot especially me would be feeling that other Canadian airports are being neglected if you know what I mean. Especially I had been flying into CYYZ many times during CYYZ events that I would like to experience excitement flying into other Canadian airports and I am sure any pilot would feel same way.

I do like and agree with your comments about the FIRs advertising more on and in VATSIM and will reintroduce this idea to the FIRs at the next VATCAN MAG Meeting, slated for late December or early January.

Thank you and I am sure more pilots would notice announcements on Vatsim meaning more traffic to any Canadian airport.

Thank you for replies.

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Daniel Gustin 940540
Posted
Posted

I agree.

Daniel Gustin

VATEUD3 -Training Director Pilots

eud_logo.png

Come on kids! The more forum posts you have, the better!

Matt Porter 1157370
Posted
Posted

I agree that there needs to be more events throughout Canada; but we need to stop ourselves from making unfair comparisons to how our neighbouring division conducts its events. You mention Yellowknife and Calgary as example airports for a twice monthly event. The problem with such scheduling is that both airports belong with the same FIR, with a limited controller roster it is unlikely that both events would have sufficient coverage to fulfil the requirements of hosting such an event. As far as planning, keep in mind that much of VATCANs staff members are busy operating both the VATCAN ATO and NTU programs.

Likely the best way to diversify the events in Canada is to continue to have the FIRS conduct their own events as they are now. Perhaps all FIRS can study what makes CZYZ such a popular event destination and work with the virtual airlines in the division to ensure activity and proper staffing.

Virtual WestJet | VATCAN S3 CZEG

vwja.png

• 1 month later...
Tim Murphy
Posted
Posted

Small event at CYQM this Saturday between 1430z-1630z - Moncton airport - YQM - is the focus of the event as there is a live demo a group of us are attending live in the City.

See you there!

Tim

Help a newbie!

http://czqm.ca

QM/QX Instructor

Tim Murphy
Posted
Posted

As well, Aharon, the Moncton FIR has a weekly event called Moncton Monday's. You have not attended this event in some time, however, we are always here.

Come out and join us again!

Tim

Help a newbie!

http://czqm.ca

QM/QX Instructor