You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Initialization Failure

Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

got this after trying to start the program.

Error

Could not initialize ScopeTextRenderer:

Only data-contract cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es (and lists/arrays of such) can be processed (error processing list `1)

thought it was the hardware accel like VRC, turned it down and tried to restart, same error.

i had VATSPY in the background, figured maybe that was it, shut it down, same error.

rebooted, same error.

Compaq Presario

Win XP SP2

Intel Pentirum® M 1.6

Mobile Intel 915GM Chipset (supports Open GL)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Is there a GlobalExceptions.txt file in your vSTARS appdata folder? You can open that folder by putting this into a windows explorer location bar:

%appdata%\vSTARS

If there is one, please post the contents here.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

nope. just 4 folders, 2 xml's and 1 bin. no globalexceptions

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Any chance you have a version of the ProtoBuf-Net library installed on your machine? (Long shot here, I know.)

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

nope dont have that one. that im aware of anyway. dont think i have anything that has included that library.

i do have .net 2.0 installed tho

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I'm stumped ... that error is being thrown by a third party binary serialization library that vSTARS uses to load the fonts.bin file. When I do a search, the only thing I can find referencing that error is that it could be due to using a different version of the library. Other stuff I'm finding is not relevant to how vSTARS uses the library.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

no problem, ill keep diggin and update ya if i find something that does the trick

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

welp, i installed vStars just fine on my flightsim PC, so least i can use it on that one instead of the laptop.

that one has XP SP3 installed

not sure if its related, but on the laptop, i cant update it to SP3 for some reason. the auto updates fail and even a manual download and install fails. so not sure if that is related to the issue of running vStars on the laptop as well.

i literally just reformatted this thing right after new years so im probably missing something.

will update

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
not sure if its related, but on the laptop, i cant update it to SP3 for some reason. the auto updates fail and even a manual download and install fails. so not sure if that is related to the issue of running vStars on the laptop as well.

Hard to say if it's related, but that certainly does seem suspicious. Might be something messed up with the .NET framework on your laptop. You could try uninstalling then reinstalling the .NET framework.

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Hey Ross,

I was actually having the same problem on an older desktop system running Windows XP SP3. What I had to do was install .NET Framework 3.5. Prior to that, I had installed .NET Framework 4, and that didn't solve the problem. .NET 3.5 is the solution, or was for me anyway.