You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Cannot activate the gl rendering client" error

Dan Roistacher 1153968

Dan Roistacher 1153968
Posted
Posted

After being connected for a little while controlling on the network, I got a fatal error that closed the program instantly.

ERROR: Cannot activate the gl rendering client

Any clue how to fix this?

Thanks

Windows 7

3GB RAM

AMD Athlon Dual Core

NVIDIA 8600

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

client or context?

Sounds like maybe the OpenGL support in your video driver isn't so great. Just a guess, though. I'd suggest making sure you are on the latest version of the video driver.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dan Roistacher 1153968
Posted
Posted

Seems to work now. Will check video card drivers as well. If anything changes I will reply again, thanks.

Dan Roistacher 1153968
Posted
Posted
client or context?

It was actually "context." I did update my drivers but unfortunately the error started to happen again.

Dan Roistacher 1153968
Posted
Posted

Error started to occur again while connected as a controller. However it does not happen while I am connected as an observer. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It doesn't make any sense that an openGL error would have anything to do with the callsign or position type you connect as. Are you 100% sure that it makes a difference and isn't just coincidental?

Dan Roistacher 1153968
Posted
Posted

I have a strong feeling it is just coincidental, I happened notice that fatal error while I am controlling and not observing. The error usually happens between 20-40mins of controlling.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Can you check your application data folder to see if there is a GlobalExceptions file there? You can view that folder by entering the following in the start menu search box:

%appdata%/vstars

If you find a GlobalExceptions file there, please post it here or email it to vstars (at) metacraft (dot) com.

Dan Roistacher 1153968
Posted
Posted

This is strange... there is no globalexceptions.txt file.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I'm stumped ... best guess is that it's a bug either in vSTARS' OpenGL code that only manifests itself with your particular video driver and/or card, or a bug in the video driver itself.

Dan Roistacher 1153968
Posted
Posted

Ross, thank you for your time. Maybe my next option is just export my profiles and do a complete reinstall of vSTARS.