You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

POF file issues

Jonathan Cox 1122818

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

Earlier we were testing some new sectors for center.

Oakland Center:Oakland Center:132.200:00:C:OAK:CTR:OAK:CTR:1701:1777

Oakland A Center:Oakland Center:132.800:15:A:OAK:CTR:OAK:A_CTR:1701:1727

Oakland B Center:Oakland Center:119.750:29:B:OAK:CTR:OAK:B_CTR:1730:1747

Oakland C Center:Oakland Center:132.200:42:C:OAK:CTR:OAK:C_CTR:1750:1777

We were having trouble getting the squawk codes and sector ID numbers to work properly, but when we added "A_" "B_" etc. they worked. But when we primed up on OAK C CTR, it still showed the sector ID as 00, not 42 like it was supposed to. All of the squawk codes were being [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned correctly, it's just the sector ID that wasn't correct. Any idea what might be the cause of this?

Also, would we have trouble with these for NCT/RNO area? We didn't actually try these ones out but our ATM and I suspect it might produce the same issue.

NCT Reno Combined:Norcal Approach:126.300:8R:R:RNO:APP:RNO:APP:3760:3777

NCT Nugget Sector:Norcal Approach:126.300:8N:N:RNO:APP:RNO:N_APP:3760:3767

NCT Silver Sector:Norcal Approach:119.200:8O:S:RNO:APP:RNO:S_APP:3770:3777

Thanks!

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Events Coordinator, Mentor

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You can't have the same frequency, prefix, and suffix for more than one position. VRC will use the first one it finds, which is why you got 00. Why would you need two different sector IDs for the same frequency?

Note that the field where you put A_, B_, C_ is not the suffix field ... you still have the suffix set to "CTR" for all of those. (The field you changed is only used in ASRC for VSCS labels.)

Also note that you cannot put underscores in your suffix. Clients use everything from the last underscore to the end of the callsign as the suffix when looking through the POF file for matches.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jonathan Cox 1122818
Posted
Posted

Alright, the idea behind having two separate sector IDs was the 00 for combined, and 42 for specifically the C sector. But we can do without. I'll fix what you suggested and hopefully that will do the trick.

Jonathan Cox

1122818 | C1

Oakland ARTCC

Events Coordinator, Mentor

Anchorage ARTCC

Visiting Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

As far as I've seen in the real world, they don't have a special sector ID that is used only when sectors are consolidated ... they just use the ID of the sector all the other sectors are "consolidated to". That way, frequency A is always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with sector ID A, frequency B is always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with sector ID B, and so on.

Admittedly, though, I've only been exposed to how it's done at one or two facilities real world ... others may be different. On VATSIM though, this is how you need to do it. One sector ID per freq.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
As far as I've seen in the real world, they don't have a special sector ID that is used only when sectors are consolidated ... they just use the ID of the sector all the other sectors are "consolidated to". That way, frequency A is always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with sector ID A, frequency B is always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with sector ID B, and so on.

Admittedly, though, I've only been exposed to how it's done at one or two facilities real world ... others may be different. On VATSIM though, this is how you need to do it. One sector ID per freq.

That's how ZJX, P31, JAX ATCT and several others do it. They "consolidate" the sectors to a specific scope and band box the frequencies. Let's take the Brewton sector of ZJX. Brewton controls FL230-UNL above Pensacola. Crestview controls north of Pensacola and Eglin Approach boundaries from SFC-FL230 (and shelves where those two terminal facilities terminate at 100 instead of 230). Brewton will combine with Crestview a lot. Crestview is a scope that sits literally right next to Brewton. When combined, all handoffs still go to "Crestview" but are automatically redirected to Brewton. Pilots are still issued Crestview's frequency. When it comes time to split them, the pilots don't know any thing other than there is a different controller talking. On the scope side, Brewton unconsolidated the airspace, handed off the appropriate guys, switched guys to his frequency he was keeping, and then once the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] down was complete unkeyed the Crestview frequency all while still controlling the guys (aka, there is no "Standby, controller change in progress"). Short and sweet detail on how ZJX handles it (I was sitting by Brewton when they deconsolidated).

Unfortunately this isn't presently possible with VATSIM

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

ZOA does the same real world at least, according to their SOPs

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
ZOA does the same real world at least, according to their SOPs

I always get a little chuckle online when the combined is a totally different sector and frequency.