You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

add distortion to the atc sound

dvir shany 1174016

dvir shany 1174016
Posted
Posted

Hey fallows,

after a awesome vacation in Italy i am back in the business.

i filmed the landing in Munich and will upload it today (from the cockpit!)

i just have a question about the atc sound.

i have already started a discussion about it, but didn't get good results.

i am using fsinn and checked the realistic distorted sound, but for me it's not enough i mean it's far from the realistic sound, is there any other ways to make it realistic?? thanks very much in advance!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

depends what you call "realistic"

the closer you are to the station, the clearer it is. the farther you get, the more distorted it gets.

when you are listening to the transmissions on liveatc, its not because thats how it actually sounds, thats because of the distance between the receiver antenna and the source. a lot of interference can come into play in between that distance. so for example, while it sounds very distorted over the liveatc feed, its actually very clear to the pilot and controller communicating at the airport.

unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on what train of thought you have regarding radio quality) VATSIM does not do that.

it always actually amuses me a little, the real world pilots and controllers are always trying to improve their radio quality, where as online, we want to go backwards

dvir shany 1174016
Posted
Posted

thanks for the answer, BTW i am not talking about liveatc, i am talking about the sound from the real cockpit, when i been in the cockpit a week ago.

Sava  Markovic 1109329
Posted
Posted

I flew in a cockpit more then a few times and you can't get that effect of a RL radio on VATSIM.

Comes close, but not perfect. Just enjoy what you have.

If you want to hear some RL comms I recorded check http://skysim.net/sava/atc_com.mp3

If you have QuickTime you can listen to it from the browser, if you don't, right click>Save as.

I haven't cut out parts where it is silent so sorry for that

This includes Belgrade ACC, Approach and Tower

Sava Markovic

SCGvACC Events Coordinator

• 4 years later...
Martin Connor 1270685
Posted
Posted

As I age, now 61, my hearing does not cope well with the distortion that I hear from VatSim controllers. This has completely put me off using it. I can't keep asking controllers to repeat, it gets embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing. I've listened to real world comms on countless videos from the Flight Deck and from light aircraft, and I can normally understand that. Therefore I wonder if VATSim is overdoing the distortion, or whether there could be a method introduced whereby users/Pilots have the choice as to how realistic the transmitted sound is?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

vatsim isnt adding any distortion itself. if any is added, its in the clients settings (user end, not server side)

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted
As I age, now 61, my hearing does not cope well with the distortion that I hear from VatSim controllers. This has completely put me off using it. I can't keep asking controllers to repeat, it gets embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing. I've listened to real world comms on countless videos from the Flight Deck and from light aircraft, and I can normally understand that. Therefore I wonder if VATSim is overdoing the distortion, or whether there could be a method introduced whereby users/Pilots have the choice as to how realistic the transmitted sound is?

Vatsim is using a very old codec which isn't of the latest and best quality. It's been a discussion so often and a lot needs to be done to upgrade the voice codec. Backwards compatibility is very important for vatsim, but even Windows XP gets abandoned, so old flightsims eventually will as well.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
so old flightsims eventually will as wel

has nothing to do with "old" flightsims. has everything to do with old and already abandoned pilot clients. the sim you use has zero to do with this issue

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

The vatsim sound quality is considerably worse than the radio where I work (ATC side), and that is without the distortion box ticked.

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted
so old flightsims eventually will as wel

has nothing to do with "old" flightsims. has everything to do with old and already abandoned pilot clients. the sim you use has zero to do with this issue

Correct, sorry about that.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

I've actually found that the "VHF simulation" or whatever it's called check box, on vPilot least, actually helps the readability. I'm not sure if it dampens the variances in mic's or what but it seems to help, me at least.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I've actually found that the "VHF simulation" or whatever it's called check box, on vPilot least, actually helps the readability. I'm not sure if it dampens the variances in mic's or what but it seems to help, me at least.

That's because the VHF simulation cuts out a lot of the lower frequencies, which helps get rid of some of the "boomy" sounding tones (breath noise, mic popping, etc.) that often overpower the actual voice sounds with a cheap microphone, which is what most PC headsets have.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC