You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A few thoughts

William Lewis

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

One great tool for both controller and facilities could be the exportation of preferred configurations in the facility file.

Also a volume which could give the ability for two departure controllers the ability to auto track a departure either depending on the departure runway or the SID.

The above pertains to United States

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
One great tool for both controller and facilities could be the exportation of preferred configurations in the facility file.

What do you mean by "preferred configurations"?

Also a volume which could give the ability for two departure controllers the ability to auto track a departure either depending on the departure runway or the SID.

I could see how volumes could work for determining which departure controller auto tracks aircraft depending on runway, but it wouldn't work for having it depend on SID, because many SIDs can use the same departure runway.

Anyway, I believe the real system determines which departure controller to auto track a departure to based on fixes in the flight plan and the current sectorization plan. That's something I plan to simulate eventually ... it's just not very high on my list because it's pretty rare on VATSIM for there to be two departure controllers. (Generally only events.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

I knew i should have used this in my first post, The "PREF SUB-MENU"

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I guess you mean the ability to export pref sets. I personally don't think that's worth doing ... it's mostly personal preference stuff ... hence the name.

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

The reason I asked is because I i spent a few hours creating a PREF button for each position and configuration within our TRACON and i would like to be able to share it with the rest of our members to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist them in not spending on as much set up time as i did.

I would have [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that that is what they used if for within the RW TRACONs. I would not have [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that they had every controller save a Preference on the scope its but i could be wrong.

37.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

A lot of the stuff in the pref set is specific to the screen resolution, which varies a lot from user to user. Seems to me it would be easiest for each user to set up their layout in one pref set, then do a "Save As" for each configuration, changing the video maps appropriately between each save.

If you were to import the pref sets from another user, you'd likely have to reposition all the lists and resave each pref set anyway.

Matthew Spencer
Posted
Posted
The reason I asked is because I i spent a few hours creating a PREF button for each position and configuration within our TRACON and i would like to be able to share it with the rest of our members to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist them in not spending on as much set up time as i did.

I would have [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that that is what they used if for within the RW TRACONs. I would not have [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that they had every controller save a Preference on the scope its but i could be wrong.

Tied to your login I believe. So it automatically configures when you sign in.

Regards,

Matthew Spencer (SP)

vZBW Training Administrator emeritus

1088911.png

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

Yeah, signing in gives access to that login's pref sets. In the real system, you can steal other folk's settings by logging in under their initials and loading up the desired pref set, then logging back in as yourself and using the "save as" function. Of course, this only works because all of the displays are the same size and resolution.

It does not automatically apply the pref set when logging in though. Everytime you take a position, you first sign in and then load the pref set.