You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS: World Tour

Robbie Nauffts 1045788

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted (edited)

Advertisement.jpg

What is the FS World Tour?

The FS World Tour is a challenge that takes place solely on the VATSIM network. It's not a race, or an endurance flight but a challenge that gets virtual pilots back to the basics of flying. Pilots fly a single or twin engine General Aviation aircraft on the VATSIM network and follow a general route. They can branch off on their own direction but should follow the current challenge.

Who Can Take Part?

The beauty of FS World Tour is that anyone car partake in it. All flying will be under VFR or IFR conditions and it at your own comfort level. If you are new to the VATSIM network, this will be a great way to improve your skills and learn as we visit both small fields and larger airports on our trips. You must have a VATSIM account to take part, and either FSX or FS9 and even X Plane!

Where Are We Going?

We are departing Saint John's (CYYT) Newfoundland, Canada and ending in Malvinas Argentinas International Airport (SAWH) . In a direct line, that is close to 10,000 nautical miles! We can either go South thru Florida and the Caribbean Islands or thru Mexico, there is no set route to follow south, that's the beauty of this event!

When does this all start?

Now that we have a forum set up, all current information can be found there. We are looking to start the tour near the end of February to avoid the worst of the Canadian winter.

Why are you flying general aviation aircraft? Why do this at all?

Why not is my question? Nowadays, it seems as if 95% of the traffic on VATSIM is airliners, or turboprops with sophisticated FMCs that do most of the work for the pilots. GA flying is a challenge because you lack those aids. Sure, people can use FS Navigator to chart their routes, but GPS is going to be the main navigational aide. The airports you choose to visit can be smaller and you can get down low to really see the sights. Why fly at 35,000 feet when you can fly at 3500 and see the world? I am choosing to do this because it sounds like a challenge and can be a lot more entertaining then a two hour hop in a 757 from Halifax to Florida. I would like to see if some other people are interested in joining the challenge.

Do we all have to fly together at the same time?

Not at all! Although flying with a group of people can give you more of a social setting to talk to each other and have fun, you can also fly whenever you like. If you live in Canada and are only working nights, you can fly during the day by yourself. If you live in the UK and are a high school student, you could fly at night with a few other people. All I am looking for is a group of individuals who would be active on the forums and let people know where they are, what route they are planning, cool things they want to tell us about. Be it a VFR flight that had some great flights, or a challenging ILS approach near their minimums. We're all flying on flightsim for the same reasons!

Are there limits to how often or long I can choose my routes?

Not at all. But keep in mind you should be doing this in a General Aviation Aircraft, like a Piper Archer or Twin Comanche. It can be single engined or dual engined but it cannot be a turboprop or have a pressurized cabin. If you do it in a turboprop, it will be over before you know it! So, where these are GA aircraft, you may find it easier to fly many short routes about an hour to two each.

Are you planning other events like this?

I sure am! I'd like to see after this America's tour go from Scotland to Madagascar. Or maybe even Scotland to Cape Town, who knows!

If I want to join this, how can I?

If you want to take part, reply to this post and I will add you to the list!

Edited by Guest

BE4SQyR.jpg

“Aviation is not inherently dangerous, but it is terribly unforgiving.”

James McDonald 1159825
Posted
Posted

You forgot the next question.

What if I don't use/don't want to use/refuse to use Facebook?

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted
You forgot the next question.

What if I don't use/don't want to use/refuse to use Facebook?

Well with enough interest I can get a free forum for us to use facebook just came to mind initially because it's easy to use and organize. But I have no problem taking a few hours setting up a proper forum with the interest there

BE4SQyR.jpg

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

In.

I'm leaving the GPS in the trunk of my car, though.

Radio, eyeball, or nothin'.

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted
In.

I'm leaving the GPS in the trunk of my car, though.

Radio, eyeball, or nothin'.

Good stuff!

I should add that we're going to drop the facebook idea and just use these forums for now until we crash this thread and get the boot! I'll update a list of people who signed up with the original post.

BE4SQyR.jpg

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Why not, indeed!! Sign me up!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

Alright guys, the forums are up, but bare so be nice

http://fsworldtour.freeforums.org/index.php

BE4SQyR.jpg

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted
Alright guys, the forums are up, but bare so be nice

http://fsworldtour.freeforums.org/index.php

Great! Already reg'd.

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone!

Just a quick post to say that I am planning on departing St John NFLD at 1800Z on February 20, 2012!

However, I will be doing a hop tonight (13/02/2012) from Moncton to Sydney NS to set up for a quick jump across the straight to St John to be ready for the journey. Looking out the window in Halifax, we are definitely going to be under IFR conditions. Should be about an hour or so flight in the props and definitely a challenge!

I should be departing tonight at 2300Z (6PM EST) at CYQM and it's Moncton Monday, so we should have some ATC online!

BE4SQyR.jpg

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Very, very cool. Enjoy it.

We did a VFR coast to coast flight a few years ago in the US (1 leg per week, about 300nm each time), it was an absolute blast. I think we had 10-12 people on some of the legs.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I was about to suggest that as the next tour...maybe shorter legs, but pretty much along I-80.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted
I was about to suggest that as the next tour...maybe shorter legs, but pretty much along I-80.

I like that idea! I installed Ultimate Terrain a few weeks back and physically having the roads on the ground makes VFR flying a tad more realistic. This "Americas" tour is going to be pretty intense but fun.

BE4SQyR.jpg

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

*Update*

We've had a few members join and make requests for aircraft that don't exactly meet the GA theme which is fine. So I've adjusted things so you can fly any aircraft that could realistically be privately owned in the real world.

We have a PC-12 Pilatus sign up and even an L-39 Albatross!

I just wanted to let everyone know in case you had a specific aircraft in mind and didn't think it fit the event. This event is really about getting out there and flying, so feel free to sign up!

BE4SQyR.jpg