You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Ill tk frustration

Justin Friedland

Justin Friedland
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming operator error, but I'm being bedeviled by your fine program in one or two areas.

The first is an inability to tag aircraft that enter my airspace without a handoff. They come in squawking 2200, call me, I give them a valid code for the airspace, they squawk and ident, but I still cannot take control of them. Moreover, F6 (slew) results in an "Ill Trk" error, instead of their flight plan. The only way to see the flight plan is to hit F6 and then type the squawk code and I still can't tag them. Why?

My second frustration is with aircraft in general squawking 2200, which is any aircraft that has departed from an area not covered by ATC. I can see them heading into my airspace. There is always the chance that they are headed for one of my airports, yet I have no way (that I know of) of seeing their flight plan to know whether I should send a CONTACT ME or not. They do not show the E designation that would tell me they are just crossing enroute to their eventual destination and therefore I can ignore them. So, it would be nice to be able to see their flight plan, just for my own information. Of course, an attempt to input their squawk code after hitting F6 results in a "dup track" message and no plan.

So, what am I doing wrong, and how can I correct my errors?

Justin Friedland

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

If they are inbound to an airport configured in your profile, the flight plan will be "sent" to your scope and will appear under your flight plan list. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean the aircraft's callsign and all will be visible. You'll just have to be prudent to watch their altitudes and if they enter hope they do their job of contacting you or you can send a contact me if so inclined.

As far as tagging aircraft, they must squawk their [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code before you can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociate that flight plan with that aircraft. Due to VATSIM limitations, it can't really emulate the real world scope as much as I'd like... but for the sake of your question until the aircraft squawks its [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code there is no way to tag it. Once it squawks a code you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned, it should auto-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociate and tag for you.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
The first is an inability to tag aircraft that enter my airspace without a handoff. They come in squawking 2200, call me, I give them a valid code for the airspace, they squawk and ident, but I still cannot take control of them. Moreover, F6 (slew) results in an "Ill Trk" error, instead of their flight plan. The only way to see the flight plan is to hit F6 and then type the squawk code and I still can't tag them. Why?

Daniel addressed the bulk of your post, but I want to add something in regards to the above ... it sounds like you are saying that the target is squawking the code you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned, but you still can't tag them up. If that's true, it's a bug in vSTARS. That's highly unlikely, though, since we would have found that very early in beta testing, and everyone using vSTARS on the network currently would be having the same problem. There must be something else going on.

When this happens, "query" the LDB track by clicking on it. This should expand the LDB to include the squawk code that the radar is receiving from the track. Does it match the one you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

How are you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning the code? If you're issuing an arbitrary code within your facility's normal code block, that won't work. It has to be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned via vSTARS.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Good call, Harold ... it didn't even occur to me that he might just be giving the squawk code over the radio and not actually [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning it to the track with F9 or via the flight plan editing window.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Thanks! Could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Technically, he could just issue the squawk code over the frequency and then manually [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociate the target using CALLSIGN, SLEW , which would tell vSTARS that the track is that plane and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the flight plan the code the target is squawking.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, forcing [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociation that way would work too. (Though there is no required.)

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Sorry, using the manual literal term SLEW ENTER, i.e. point and click

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Heh ... it was always confusing to me hearing real STARS users talk about slew-enter ... it didn't make any sense to me why you would need to move the trackball cursor to the track and then press a key on the keyboard. Little did I know that they call the trackball button "Enter".

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Heh ... it was always confusing to me hearing real STARS users talk about slew-enter ... it didn't make any sense to me why you would need to move the trackball cursor to the track and then press a key on the keyboard. Little did I know that they call the trackball button "Enter".

Maybe that depends on the facility. I've never heard it around here. Rather slew means to move the trackball and click combined in one term. I would find that weird too.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Maybe that depends on the facility. I've never heard it around here. Rather slew means to move the trackball and click combined in one term. I would find that weird too.

Yeah, probably varies by facility and maybe even by user. I've noticed the STARS docs aren't even consistent ... one doc defines the word "slew" to mean moving the cursor AND left clicking, while the very same docomeent often describes command entry as "slewing and then left click". Probably a result of more than one author.

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted
Probably a result of more than one author.

Oh the art of technical writing and proofing...

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.