You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Text Pilot Controlling

Marcus Becker 1142460

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

I looked through the manual again and couldn't find any info regarding dealing with text pilots and using alias commands to control.

For example, I have my VRC alias file that I can edit and add any alias I want. .land 17R spells out, "(A/C), wind X, runway 17R, cleared to land." Obviously, I have a slew of them available.

When dealing with text pilots, is there an alias file (or equivelant) I can edit? Is there alias commands at all for basic instructions?

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

The Alias file is apart of the facility profile and is used through the text box.

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

You must import the alias file into the facility profile. This is well explained in the docs.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted
You must import the alias file into the facility profile. This is well explained in the docs.

Well, I just read the manual for the fourth time and maybe I'm blind. Even searched for the word "Alias". If it is a part of the facility profile, I'll [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that it is something that our FE is concerned with and not something that is managed or manageable by me alone. Since I'm not the FE, I didn't bother reading the FE guide. Is that where you say it is "well explained"?

EDITED: removed some nonsense.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Well, I just read the manual for the fourth time and maybe I'm blind. Even searched for the word "Alias". If it is a part of the facility profile, I'll [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that it is something that our FE is concerned with and not something that is managed or manageable by me alone. Since I'm not the FE, I didn't bother reading the FE guide. Is that where you say it is "well explained"?

EDITED: removed some nonsense.

It's "well" explained in the FE docs. It is in the same FE tab as the positions definitions (where you import a POF and define inter/intrafacility position IDs).

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted

To be honest, as an FE, I never really thought to explain to anyone what's in there for vSTARS. On the other hand, I just used our existing Alias, so it's all the same stuff. I'm not sure what your FE did, but it's probably worth a check on your own forums. Beyond that, if you want to change it on your own, read the FE Guide and it'll tell you how.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

Bob Carmona 993591
Posted
Posted

Simply type CTRL+F, select "Positions & Aliases" tab, and import your alias file.

Note: Each time you import a facility file you will need to do this.

atc1o.png

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

The problem is that controllers have always customized our local facility file to meet their needs. Though I realize I too vouched for the facility file option when the discussion took place, I wasn't aware that this included the alias as well. I would request the functionality to allow controllers to import their own alias files if Ross would be willing to make it a feature. If not, I'm sure the controllers can re-import the file, but from a usability point of view, I think alias importation makes sense.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Harold, that functionality already exists. After the facility is imported, they just need to hit CTRL+F and click the Positions/Alias tab to reload a new alias file.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Daniel, Harold mentioned that controllers can just import their own alias file. I think he's suggesting that vSTARS allow for a "personal" alias file that would supplement the aliases from the facility file, and it would not need to be re-imported when the facility file was updated.

This is something I considered during the beta but decided against because I didn't think a lot of controllers customized the alias file, and if they did, they could just ask their FE to add their aliases to the facility alias file.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC