You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

X-Plane crashes as soon as XSB accesses the audio hardware

Timo Adler 1218610

Timo Adler 1218610
Posted
Posted

Hello,

the title describes my issue pretty much. As soon as I try to enter the XSB Audio Setup or when I connect to a server and the audio should start, X-Plane crashes.

The error Message claims a segmentation fault.

I'm on Linux (Gentoo) with X-Plane 9.70 and XSB 1.0.6.

Because of the SIGSEGV I investigated further and produced the following callstack:

LINUX: I saw filesystem type "iso9660", but I wanted "udf"
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xed5acd10 in ?? ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0xed5acd10 in ?? ()
#1  0xed9700c2 in snd_pcm_set_params () from /usr/lib32/libasound.so.2
#2  0xedb57fe4 in CAlsaOutSoundHardware::open(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned int)
   () from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox_VATSIM.xpl
#3  0xedb57a83 in CAlsaOutSoundHardware::EnumOutputs(std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >&) ()
      from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox_VATSIM.xpl
#4  0xedb7d579 in EZEnumOutputs () from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox_VATSIM.xpl
#5  0xedbfd652 in XSBVoiceMgr::EnumHW(std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >*, std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >*, int*, int*) () from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox_VATSIM.xpl
#6  0xedc099f3 in XSBAudioSetupDialog::Pose() () from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox_VATSIM.xpl
#7  0xedbd0202 in XSBPlugin::HandleMenus(void*, void*) () from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox_VATSIM.xpl
#8  0xedde26c8 in XPLMHandleMenuItemPick(int) () from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XPLM.so
#9  0xedddc803 in XPLMMenuHook () from /ftp/games/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XPLM.so
#10 0x080baaa3 in MACIBM_handleclick(int) ()
#11 0x080badfc in LIN_handleevt(_XEvent*, int) ()
#12 0x080c6891 in MACIBM_event_proc() ()
#13 0x080adb05 in main ()

I've got a quadcore CPU so I use a 64bit environment. For compatibility there's a package of 32bit libs available which contains libasound.so.2.0.0 (packed at 20110928)

There's no sound server running. Starting pulseaudio prior to running X-Plane doesn't change the behaviour.

Since the crash renders me unable to participate in online flights, I'd be very happy if someone could help me out.

If you need any more information just drop a message. The Log.txt doesn't contain anything useful. As a starting point I'd like to know what libasound versions you are using. Here is the information I collected about mine:

ELF Header:
 Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 
 Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]:                             ELF32
 Data:                              2's complement, little endian
 Version:                           1 (current)
 OS/ABI:                            UNIX - System V
 ABI Version:                       0
 Type:                              DYN (Shared object file)
 Machine:                           Intel 80386
 Version:                           0x1
 Entry point address:               0x1d7f0
 Start of program headers:          52 (bytes into file)
 Start of section headers:          769052 (bytes into file)
 Flags:                             0x0
 Size of this header:               52 (bytes)
 Size of program headers:           32 (bytes)
 Number of program headers:         7
 Size of section headers:           40 (bytes)
 Number of section headers:         26
 Section header string table index: 25

Thanks in advance and always happy landings.

Timo

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Hmm...I haven't seen this one before.

Just as a side note, XSB is 32-bit only and will likely remain that way for quite some time. I realize you said you're using compatibility libs, so that should be fine. I just wanted to point it out for other Linux users.

I can take a look at the code this weekend. However, I'll be upfront and say I didn't write it and am not Linux sound developer, so I'm not confident the issue is going to jump out at me. However, perhaps working with you we can find out what's being p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed in the parameters and solicit help from people who are experienced in Linux sound code.

• 1 year later...
Matthias Rieber
Posted
Posted

Hi!

I've exactly the same crash. Is there a solution?

[edit]Changing the default alsa device to my headset with the .asoundrc helped[/edit]

Matthias

• 2 months later...
Robert Bucci 1283772
Posted
Posted

I'm having same issue. But its 2014 now. Xsquawkbox has a 64bit version out now I've installed and still the same thing happens. Any ideas??

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
Philip Whitehead 1223066
Posted
Posted

I am having this issue as well on 64 bit.

FSX- X-Plane 10 - Intel Core i5 3570k at 4.2Ghz - MSi Z77 Mpower mobo - EVGA GTX660 Superclocked 3gb - 8gig of Samsung Green DDR3 at 1866mhz

• 5 weeks later...
Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

Did you produce a backtrace and can confirm it is similar to the one originally posted or is the SIGSEG received from somewhere else?

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/