You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Has any of you ever flown Cross the Pond in X-Plane?

Antonio Palmieri

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

And if so,

What aircraft did you use? Did you manage the whole crossing without any software glitch?

Many thanks

Antonio

Daniel Ernst
Posted
Posted

Yup.

2011 Eastbound I'll admit x-plane crashed halfway over the atlantic, but hey, that happens to many people on FS too. 2011 West I completed my flights successfully. Both flights I flew in the great x737 by eadt. Note that the normal 738 doesn't have enough fuel for the whole trip, so I downloaded the livery with auxiliary fuel tanks from xplane.org (http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=10739). Granted that that plane is slower than most of the 747/57/67/77's being flown, but it's a great (freeware) plane. I'm sure there are also other great paywares you could use. I think I also got some scenery from the .org. Hope you do it and have lots of fun!

-Daniel

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted

Twice so far, both eastbound.

Not a single glitch with XP (9.xx) or with xSquawkbox. Flawless.

Aircraft? The incomparable 707-300 "Intercontinental."

David Cornwall 1178539
Posted
Posted

I haven't done so yet, but I intend to cross the Atlantic with Guy Montagu-Pollock's forthcoming Comet 4C. I believe Mexicana used the type in the 1960s for transatlantic routes.

This might require the creation of a LORAN-A simulation. And given the aircraft cruises at 0.76M or so, I'll need a good few books to read en-route.

X-Plane 9.70 / Windows XP

• 1 year later...
Daniel Tomlinson 1267961
Posted
Posted

I am planning on doing so for CPT 2013 eastbound. I was planning on using the Ramzzess and Phillip T7. I am new to vatsim, and I am wondering if it is able to do so. I notice xsquawkbox doesn't have SELCAL. Also the T7 doesn't have Required time of arrival, and can't intercept a radial with the FMC, and this is required for the SID from KDTW. Are these features required? Thanks.

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I like to take the freeware A330 or A340 by the X-Plane Paint Shop.

swift - Developer

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Once, westbound in a freeware Concorde Quick, 3.5 hr flight into NEWARK, even saw the sonic boom on entering and exiting supersonic cruise. Since Concorde's route was not too complicated, I was able to fly with the default FMC (or the xcuse for one) and had to go-around when a pilot who got disconnected on final decided to reconnect....fun stuff.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted
Also the T7 doesn't have Required time of arrival, and can't intercept a radial with the FMC, and this is required for the SID from KDTW. Are these features required? Thanks.

Can't you just manually fly the radial?

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Daniel Tomlinson 1267961
Posted
Posted
Also the T7 doesn't have Required time of arrival, and can't intercept a radial with the FMC, and this is required for the SID from KDTW. Are these features required? Thanks.

Can't you just manually fly the radial?

True. I guess I just got carried away with the complaints.

I will probably just use fix page, and fly manually or heading select. You can't track a VOR on the 777, like on a 737. (without FMC)

Leigh Hyde 1262686
Posted
Posted

yes done the trans atlantic crossing once on concorde

although i did do a mid flight refuel which threw my cg settings out for a while

paris charles de gualle over to jfk

ive included a few photos of the flight

i did use a fms to fly the route landing on 31 l which i find the easiest

post-316343-0-94364500-1377430581.jpg

post-316343-0-95405900-1377430593.jpg