You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swift - Pilot client progress

Robert Bressert

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if there were any plans to restore, if possible, or re-create a category about the progress of the new pilot's client being developed in the "pilots helping pilots" section of our forums?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

• Richard Asberg

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

Sascha Steingrobe 880415 34 posts

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

Roland Rossgotterer 104726 29 posts

• Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg 14 posts

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Mathew Sutcliffe 12 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 21 2013

24 posts

• Mar 5 2014

11 posts

• Mar 29 2016

10 posts

• Feb 26 2014

10 posts

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

We are working on it.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

Hello,

until there is a complete new section available, I will rewrite a complete new topic with all the steps, requirements, pics of the GUI as well as of far we are.

So give me some little time to write it down and put it back into a topic.

Regards,

Sascha

f72.gif

Project Manager - swift pilot client project

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Fantastic! Thanks all.

Richard Bowcott 934080
Posted
Posted

Thanks for this, looking forward to a new client someday .

Cheers

Riche

• 2 weeks later...
Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

PILOT CLIENT DEVELOPMENT UPDATE:

Dear community,

as the forum had a blackout and the old post about this topic are not recovered yet, I am writing now a bigger summary.

We started in April/Mai this year with the development of the VATSIM pilot client project as a group of 15 - 20 developer, supporter, tech. and management group.

As we got a requirement list from the BoG and community, we expanded this list to actual features and added some points which had been missing from our point of view.

After recruiting a group of really great developer and supporter, we started with a basic code already had been written by our technical manager Roland Winklmeier.

The VACC Germany was and is a great effort as they supported us with a complete TS3 server for your meetings and discussions, a developement webpage with all necessary tools, repository and much more. Many thanks to the VACC GER and their staff until now for their great support.

Essential Features of the Clients could be found here in the requirement list:

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=16502B8BFD93B494!307&app=Word&authkey=!AOnt_C7WD0N7OVs

As we are creating in a subproject a complete VATSIM owned CPDLC / ACARS service system with could be integrated into the actual ATC clients as well, we are upgrating the service to the actual system features in real life. More information about CPDLC will upcoming later in this post.

After these months we made a really good progress with a great support of Kyle Ramsey and Steven Cullins as the representatives and presidents of the BoG. So far we completed V0.1 and 0.2 and got more then 50 % of V0.3

Essential features will be in V0.4 and then we come to more detailed parts of the client structure up from V0.4.

In the meantime we are polling out the name of the client, dealing with 3rd party software developer to get the connected to the client and give them via our plugin and DBus system options to connect their software directly to the client, spoken for systems like CPDLC, ATSAW and much more.

As we are an Open Source Client, we are currently developing in closed source while we wanna know how and who is connected to the group and the project. So far this decision was very effective and positive for the project, as it keeps the people who are working hard and let people stay away from the project who will be less effective and wants just look into the code to make comments.

For further development the client code will be uploaded to the open source databases without the NDA part which is restricted to VATSIM. More information about that, the SDK and Wiki as well as docomeentation will be upcoming later on.

Release date? Maybe you can ask any oracle in the world, they will not know as we wont. We gave us internal not a really deadline but an expected timeframe until we wanna release but I will not give you any information about that until we know we can meet our expectations. Sorry.

GUI Design:

You may have seen posts of the GUI before we got the blackout which have been demonstrated a potential design type of the client.

As here and in the VACC GER the poll for the preferred GUI type has been made for the "Airbus" GUI type, we will develop this one first and later one we decide about a second GUI type. If there is anyone interested and professional in GUI development with QT etc. he will be very welcome to give us some more ressources in the development of a second GUI type until we will release.

Lets not talk anymore - here is the winner of the vote with some example shots:

Main Panel:

7vo.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Options Menu:

zm6.gif

Options Sound Panel:

ivah.gif

COM CHAT Panel:

jd3.gif

CPDLC/MCDU Main:

gop.gif

CPDLC/MCDU Connect:

lbt.gif

CPDLC/MCDU request:

clw.gif

CPDLC/DCDU ATC advisory:

8bu.gif

CPDLC/DCU WILCO sent:

rv.gif

Thats enough for now:)

You will see the style and some panels who will be available. For sure, thats not all and there will be much more.

Mapping Database:

Another feature will be the mapping database which comes as well with a AI airplane repository.

The mapping database will be a webserver which will do a verification process against the user who are uploading informations.

This service will provide the mappings for all the aircrafts used with the pilot client. As you can enter the mapping (if its not already in the web-database) directly via the client, it is as well a website available where you directly enter your mappings for your AI or aircraft models.

All pilot client user worldwide will directly have a new mapping for this particular aircraft you have mapped for the community. So it is not necessary to make a whole scan everytime you install a new aircraft on your HDD.

Model Repository:

The repository is another benefit as we got loads of models licensed by freeware developer and livery painter to use them in the VATSIM repository. This will be connected as well to the pilot client and it would be updated all the time. The repository will be filled with high quality AI aircraft and the most common models as well as liveries. As well there is a webaccess where you will be able to upload your AI models and liveries as you would like to support the community. Especial for Virtual Airlines it is an effort to paint the used AI models and upload their liveries, so they would be recognized by the community while they are flying on the network. The repository will be updated all the time and missing models/liveries would be dowloaded asap to your HDD to be present in the network.

More features are as well the great freeware realwx tool by Sivlio Lafere - many thanks Sivlio! and loads of other features not listed yet here.

Job Applications:

So stay tune and wathc the progress.

As there are maybe someone out there who would like to support us with their knowledge, here you go:

- C++ QT 5.1 skills are very welcome, or...

- GUI QT development skills, or...

- someone who makes a database out of the models and liveries we already got, to search for more... .

Thats all I could present until now.

If there is someone from Fruit Stand or AIARDVARK here around...guys - I try to reach you over 2 month now via Email to get a go or no-go for your brilliant AI models - but I got nothing back. So please check your boxes and give me any kind of answer .

Many thanks to your patience and you very helpfull greetings we got the last time!

The pilot client development team,

Sascha Steingrobe

Project Manager

f72.gif

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Fantastic, Sascha. Thanks for the update. We are very indebted to you and the others who are working on this.

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Very nice to hear an update, thanks a lot!

I would join in but my C++ skills are scaringly bad so I think I'll spare you the terror of working with me!

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
Very nice to hear an update, thanks a lot!

I would join in but my C++ skills are scaringly bad so I think I'll spare you the terror of working with me!

No worries Johan. I will not say you terrorize us but as I know the group, they are working on a very high skill level and with a deep knowledge of the code. So I appreciate your offer!

f72.gif

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

Oh...my..goodness....

This is amazing! Wouldn't mind to seem some VATSIM logo branding in there somewhere, like Honeywell or Garmin does on the frame of their instruments...

Wow...simply blown away...

Steve

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

f72.gif

Stuart McIntyre 932425
Posted
Posted

looks just fantastic, its everything I've been looking for in a vatsim pilot client!! i cant wait to see the CPDLC features as well as how well the new aircraft repository works! no more SB crashes and FSINN [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning aircraft!!

Stuart McIntyre

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Sascha and Team,

This looks fantastic! To me, as a layman flightsimmer with little to no computer skills beyond the power button, it also looks a bit complicated.

I see where comm/connection tests seem to have been with actual flights on VATSIM, but I suspect if that is the case that they were done by pilots within the team who fully understand what they are seeing.

Have any "lay" pilots been tasked with installing the client and using the client? Not really a Beta test so much as just a test of how "simple" the client will be to use for those of us "challenged" pilots.

Is someone working on an install/user manual for us to download when the time comes for implementation?

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Randy,

They are nowhere near close enough to warrant any testing outside their group yet, they aren't up to alpha testing stage much less beta. It will come though.

Kyle Ramsey

Markus Klemm 1059406
Posted
Posted

Thank you in advance for this cool client.

If you need a german translation: Count me in.

Richard Bowcott 934080
Posted
Posted

So is it safe too say that the voice client is going too be clearer than SB or fsinn I understand that others pc & audio devices affect this but it was never very good quality

Cheers

Riche

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
So is it safe too say that the voice client is going too be clearer than SB or fsinn I understand that others pc & audio devices affect this but it was never very good quality

Cheers

Riche

We are working on that as well, but its as well limited to the VVL and the protocols. But we are trying our best with new codecs to get a better quality. At the end its mostly as well an issue with is often caused by bad quality headsets, micros and not proper done settings with the sound by the users itself.

f72.gif

Markus Klemm 1059406
Posted
Posted

I'm missed the IMHO important feature, to adjust the volume of the ATIS/COM2 frequency in the requirements. Think it's important, because when I want to check the ATIS in flight, the voice ATIS is often to loud to still hear COM1 to be aware of calls from ATC.

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted
I'm missed the IMHO important feature, to adjust the volume of the ATIS/COM2 frequency in the requirements. Think it's important, because when I want to check the ATIS in flight, the voice ATIS is often to loud to still hear COM1 to be aware of calls from ATC.

Markus: DLH123, request 2 minutes away from frequency to check ATIS.

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Markus Klemm 1059406
Posted
Posted

Markus: DLH123, request 2 minutes away from frequency to check ATIS.

How real as it gets is that work around? AFAIK are real pilots checking it in the background or the second pilot is listening to it.

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

VATSIM is not as real as it gets.... it's as real as it can be. Just gave you an alternative you can use.

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

I am not sure if we can optional reduce the volume of the COM2 panel. Let me check with the dev team if there are options to do that. Its not only that easy as there are limitations and we would not plan to do a complete workaround just for the volume of one channel - its not worth of the result - but as I said, I will check it for you.

f72.gif

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately all clients are largely restricted by the VATSIM Voice Library. Not sure if the Pilot Client Guys have made any modifications, but the copy I have will only allow setting of output volume of each output device, not the sources (e.g. voice channel, file player, etc.)

Also, it is unlikely that we will see any changes to the sound quality as the codec can't be changed without breaking existing software.

David Zhong

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

Can anyone on the team speak to the performance hit on a system running this? Is it being tested on older PCs to make sure it's not a big drain?

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately all clients are largely restricted by the VATSIM Voice Library. Not sure if the Pilot Client Guys have made any modifications, but the copy I have will only allow setting of output volume of each output device, not the sources (e.g. voice channel, file player, etc.)

Also, it is unlikely that we will see any changes to the sound quality as the codec can't be changed without breaking existing software.

We are working on the VVL as well David, to improve the quality up to the most remarkable level. As well new codes will be implemented - as I think there was a discussion about, but please dont put me at the wall. I will get more info from my team regarding this topic.

BTW: @David - we need to have a chat about some FPL topics upcoming and I would love to get this done in the next weeks. Could you send me a PM with your best timeframes? many thanks

f72.gif