You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Forced reset of flight controls when starting FSX

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Every time I open FSX the flight control hardware (CH Yoke, TQ, Pedals) are not detected by FSX. I have to unplug the USB connection to the hub where they are plugged in and then plug it back in. The controls are then recognized and the settings have been maintained.

This did not happen when opening FS9 on the same setup so I am curious as to whether this is a peculiarity of FSX and whether there is a known workaround to eliminate the extra step of unplug/plug.

Roger Curtiss

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Roger,

just a couple of troubleshooting qns. What OS do you have? And, have you noticed if the controllers are active before FSX starts. You can do that from Control Panel->Devices->Game Controllers.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I am using Win7 Home Premium.

The controllers appear in the Devices section as unspecified USB Input Devices and the settings menu show their proper names and status as OK.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

As long as it is identifying itself correctly, it should be fine. Altho, on my Win7 home premium too, I can see it under Devices and not under Unspecified and it clearly identifies as CH FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB.

I hope the HUB is a powered one, if not that can sometimes explain. Also, if the HUB is a 1.0/1.1 hub and you have plugged into a 2.0 USB socket, it might also cause problems...it shouldn't, but it is Windows we are talking about.

FWIW, I haven't really found it works any better with 2.0/2.0 either.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

In my experience, that behavior comes from a bad USB hub in the chain, bad cable or the power draw on that part of the bus is too high.

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Michael Garrett
Posted
Posted

i have this same issue. and all i do to bandaid it is i unplug the usb hub power briefly before starting flight sim, then replug it. windows dings and recognizes it and im good to go. but would be nice to have a permanent fix. but this works.