You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

64-bit Xsquawkbox Almost Here?!

Steve Kirks 1252923

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

It's a sleepless night for me, so trolling for X-Plane news I found this:

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/2013/07/64-bit-xsquawkbox-we-need-mac-audio/

Looks like we are very close to VATSIM and 64-bit Xsquawkbox working!

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

• 2 months later...
Jakob Ludwig 928756
Posted
Posted

A few weeks have gone without any new information. Does anybody now what the status of XSB64bit is?

John Wiesenfeld
Posted
Posted

In a word, "no".

From the XSB web site "About" page

Developers / Contacts

The original developers of XSquawkBox are Ben Supnik and Chris Serio.

The current maintainer of XSquawkBox is Wade Williams, and he can be reached at [email protected]

It appears

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/2012/11/64-bits-programmer-help-wanted/

that updating XSB to 64 bit is not high on the developers' priority list. There isn't much anyone can do about this.

John

John Wiesenfeld

ZNY - C1

FAA IFR/SEL in a galaxy long ago and far away

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the link is a bit outdated.

Ben made 2 more current updates this year to where they are with it. he was supposed to post another update regarding beta plans but hasnt yet

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/

btw John, theirs plenty you can do about it if you are or know programmers with the skills they could use pretty sure they can always use the extra help, otherwise yes, you are stuck with their timeline, and as per his posts, "code for VATSIM is something I do in my spare time when not working on X-Plane itself and chasing a two-year-old around the house", pretty sure his priorities are noted . slow is better then not at all at least as what we have with FSINN and squawkbox.

Mike Evans
Posted
Posted
In a word, "no".

In a word, yes.

As far as an actual announcement, I'll leave that to Wade, but much has taken place behind the scenes, and it's much further along than that.. MUCH further along.

Mike Evans

John Wiesenfeld
Posted
Posted

Great news Mike. Thanks so much for letting us know. Much appreciated.

Ernesto, I would have been happy to volunteer my computer programming services to this project, but somehow didn't think that my working knowledge of FORTRAN 77, BASIC and PASCAL would make much of a difference. Time has made obsolete whatever modest skills I might have had.

Again, bravo on the good news.

Many thanks for the update,

John

PS XP pilots (and that includes yours truly) constitute only a very small minority in the VATSIM community. I have been helping out in the VATSIM Pilot Training Department, and earlier this year asked what fraction of flights was being carried out on XP. It turned out that in our sample, it was on the order of 1%. That needs to change. This product is being actively developed and an increasingly diverse set of add-on models are being released. New scenery modeling tools have been released. Onwards and upwards!

John Wiesenfeld

ZNY - C1

FAA IFR/SEL in a galaxy long ago and far away

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted

There was a forum poll a while ago (might have been lost during the backup recovery) which showed that about 25% of respondents would be likely to use X-Plane.

swift - Developer