You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSquawkBox

Greg Miller 1166272

Greg Miller 1166272
Posted
Posted

Quote:

"64-bit XSquawkBox: We Have Audio

Posted on August 2, 2013 by bsupnik

We have received a potentially useful Mac audio patch, and we are following up with the author now. I am out of the office next week, but I will try to post something more definitive about future beta plans later in August. In the meantime, we are all set for code contributions."

EndQuote.

Look, I'd rather spend MONEY and have a viable utility to communicate with Vatsim, than have a FREE utility that puts us at the mercy of someone who has to find the time and help to convert to 64 bit.

The flightsim world IS 64 bit and has been for quite awhile. You cannot fly complex models in 32 bit, Specifically XP10.22.

I truly appreciate the work Ben has donated to the vatsim community. He should be applauded. However. I am not confident this will be completed anytime soon.

Greg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

welcome to the volunteer world

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Yet somehow on my 3-year-old computer running 32-bit FSX with almost no tweaking seems to run complex aircraft and complex scenery quite fine

Unfortunately in VATSIM, you won't ever see money exchanged for anything, including donations. The Founders have set this rule and it's their house; the guys that run the house (BoG and EC) I'm sure would love to change this, but it's not up to them.

David Zhong

Greg Miller 1166272
Posted
Posted
Yet somehow on my 3-year-old computer running 32-bit FSX with almost no tweaking seems to run complex aircraft and complex scenery quite fine

Unfortunately in VATSIM, you won't ever see money exchanged for anything, including donations. The Founders have set this rule and it's their house; the guys that run the house (BoG and EC) I'm sure would love to change this, but it's not up to them.

Yes. After I posted this I have been reading for hours this blog:http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=65440&page=1

NDA - non disclosure agreement. A major keyword in the discussion.

This is apparently very ugly and no one wants to play in the same sandbox.

So awesome XP10 technology, great model makers (ramzzess T7), and the desire to fly real simulation on Vatsim.

People (like me) who spent big bucks upgrading, get less than desired. PERIOD!

Sad affair.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Greg

Can I suggest you look at the forum regarding the new pilot client that is in development, his will be a cross platform pilot client and will be compatible with xplane. It's been in development sometime now by volunteers. There is still some way to go, but it is being developed and will look breathtaking when completed.

Until such time xsquawkbox works fine with 32bit, I flew last night in my a320 by jardesign perfectly well with no issues. The only problem with flying he T7 in 32 bit Is descent control which needs close monitoring.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

David Zhong
Posted
Posted
NDA - non disclosure agreement. A major keyword in the discussion.

This is apparently very ugly and no one wants to play in the same sandbox.

This is not true. As someone who has signed it, I can attest to the fact that the NDA process is very simple, quick and painless - you approach VATSIM offering to help and some evidence that you know what you're doing; George Marinakis sends you an NDA; you sign it, snail mail it to Cincinnati and email a scanned version.

The NDA is exactly as the name suggests - you can't distribute the materials/information that it protects. If you don't like the details, I'm sure George would be willing to negotiate.

There are also current, active development projects that don't require NDA access. The pilot client project (led by Sascha Steingrobe) and the North Atlantic ATC (led by Maciej Olborski) have entire teams of developers that are non-NDA'd. Gary Tekulsky has also developed a "shim" library that will, in the future, enable non-NDA'd developers to develop projects that directly interface with the FSD servers - this is now in testing/docomeentation as far as I know.

David Zhong

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted
Can I suggest you look at the forum regarding the new pilot client that is in development, his will be a cross platform pilot client and will be compatible with xplane. It's been in development sometime now by volunteers. There is still some way to go, but it is being developed and will look breathtaking when completed.

Wycliffe,

While it will eventually be cross platform, my understanding from developer discussions is that those of us in the X-Plane community are not the priority when it comes to the client. In fact, at one point I believe it was actually stated that X-Plane integration was one of the last things being worked on (meaning it will be a functional client for Microsoft legacy products first before becoming cross platform). While this may have changed, and there has also been debate on it, but I'm sorry to say that it appears often times those of us using X-Plane often appear to be second cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] citizens (even though it is the one software still being produced). As a result, I understand the original poster's comments and frustration. This ongoing issue is why I personally haven't upgraded from X-Plane 9.70 to X-Plane 10 because I doubt I'll see the performance enhancements I should while still being able to fly the network.

And before someone launches the "volunteers appreciated" thread, with all sincerity, the statement is a little dated. Those without the programming knowledge, or time to dedicate due to real world commitments, have on numerous times volunteered to support efforts where possible. The issue is that, with VATSIM requirements (I'm not debating them) prohibiting financial contributions to aide in the development of the network, it severely limits what those without these skills can contribute. At the same time, despite the amazing job those who contribute do, this does not invalidate someone's frustration or disappointment at certain problems or delays which inevitably come with a volunteer support base being the sole support structure for ongoing VATSIM improvements.

-Fred

Deputy Air Traffic Manager

Miami vARTCC - United States Division (I1)

Mike Evans
Posted
Posted

I truly appreciate the work Ben has donated to the vatsim community. He should be applauded. However. I am not confident this will be completed anytime soon.

I'm quite confident you don't know anything about it, and that it will probably be sooner than you think.

Mike Evans