You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

X-Plane Sim Rate Question

Brayden Manzella

Brayden Manzella
Posted
Posted

When I fly on the vatsim network, every controller has noted to me that there are planes p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing me. Originally, they thought it was the Sim Rates, however they have now realized that it is not a sim rate issue. I was instructed by a Seattle controller to ask this question on the vatsim forums and see if anyone else has the same issue. Please Help!!!

Brayden Manzella

Air Traffic Director

VATUSA - Western Region

VATSIM Network Supervisor

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

what's your frame rate?

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted

As someone who has been using X-Plane since starting on the network, I know I've seen this issue myself. For example, my 757 at FL330 indicating .78 will not be showing a similar ground speed to the FSX 757 at FL330 indicating .78. Been curious about this myself for a long time, though I don't notice it necessarily as much unless on long distance flights. Always figured it dealt with either how X-Plane is processing the weather compared to other simulators (maybe?), the xSquawkbox or something else.

-Fred

Deputy Air Traffic Manager

Miami vARTCC - United States Division (I1)

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted

Try comparing the aircraft's chronometer to a RW clock. Say a 30 minute flight, with longer samples being better of course.

I've often suspected XP of running slightly slower than real time.

Ben Sinclair 1146657
Posted
Posted

It may be a problem with the wind direction/speed. For example, last year flying CTP, when I was not using the plugin, I had a lot of aircraft p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing me, and the flight took around 1 hour longer than it should've done. I then installed the plugin when it was released, and since then I have had no problems with aircraft p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing me.

The link to the plugin is here: http://x-plane.joanpc.com/plugins/xpgfs-noaa-weather

Good luck on getting the problem sorted,

Ben

1146657.png1146657.png

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted

Ben,

How is the interaction with the plug-in and the Vatsim network weather work out? Recall seeing this awhile ago and I think that question is the only reason.

I also think you might be on to something. I remember the last time I was flying having the problem seemed to involve things taking an hour longer and the "gap" seemed to happen at the higher altitudes.

-Fred

Ben Sinclair 1146657
Posted
Posted

Fred,

In my opinion, the plugin works and interacts great with vatsim. I'll give you an example:

I was flying into EGKK one evening, when another pilot contacted me going to the same destination, asked me how I could be catching up to him, as he was flying a 757, and I was only flying a 737. I wasn't quite sure, however, I then thought that the winds may have played a part, as I was getting a ~50 kt tailwind. He told me that as he was using Active Sky for FSX that it was my weather system that was wrong, and not his. However, I had already planned my route out using http://www.simbrief.com/home/index.php, and that gave me the winds for every waypoint. Therefore, when I got to the next waypoint, I realised that the wind the plugin was giving me was within 5 degrees of the actual direction, and within 3 knots!

He told me his winds, and they were in almost exactly the opposite direction. Therefore, it was his weather system that was dodgy, and the X-Plane Upper Winds plugin was right. I think it's a must have for all vatsim flights, as without it, the standard weather will give you completely false results.

In the plugin section in X-Plane, all you've got to do is click on the 'use with vatsim' box, and the 'download latest data' box, and you're all set

Ben

1146657.png1146657.png

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted

Works great in 9.70 as well. A definite must-have for VATSIM flying. And I've also seen very close correlations with simBrief predictions.

Ben Sinclair 1146657
Posted
Posted
Works great in 9.70 as well. A definite must-have for VATSIM flying. And I've also seen very close correlations with simBrief predictions.

Glad to see I'm not on my own

1146657.png1146657.png

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted

Related to 9.70?

10 has no appeal. Too many view changes; with VATSIM who needs the ATC; and my system runs 9.70 like a champ. If it ain't broken...

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted
Fred,

In my opinion, the plugin works and interacts great with vatsim. I'll give you an example:

Ben,

Have to tell you, I had played around with this plugin at some point earlier in the year, having used it twice now recently...I'm sold. Actually even noticing cosmetic differences within my simulator given cloud layers. Question though. Do you run it in the VATSIM Compatibility mode? It seems the only difference is the temperature/altimeter/cloud layer levels are pulled from VATSIM METAR vs NOAA. Was just curious.

Thanks again for this great suggestion. I've been p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing it along to quite a few others I know.

-Fred

Ben Sinclair 1146657
Posted
Posted

Related to 9.70?

No, I was referring to me not being the only one who has found good results with the plugin

Fred,

Ben,

Have to tell you, I had played around with this plugin at some point earlier in the year, having used it twice now recently...I'm sold. Actually even noticing cosmetic differences within my simulator given cloud layers. Question though. Do you run it in the VATSIM Compatibility mode? It seems the only difference is the temperature/altimeter/cloud layer levels are pulled from VATSIM METAR vs NOAA. Was just curious.

Thanks again for this great suggestion. I've been p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing it along to quite a few others I know.

Good to hear, Fred. Yes, I do run it in vatsim compatibility mode. That way, all of my weather is the same as what the controllers etc. are expecting me to have

Ben

1146657.png1146657.png