You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ES on W8.1 tablet?

Maciej Lapoc 890272

Maciej Lapoc 890272
Posted
Posted

I've been searching for this issue here but didn't find anything on that. What do you think, is it possible to install and run ES on such kind of device (I mean PC tablets with Windows 8.1). Has anyone tried to do it? Do you have any experience on that?

Thanks.

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

I'm planning to do that as well with an external monitor plugged in. Haven't jumped yet though.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

• 4 months later...
Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

Any updates here? I wonder how the audio in/our works and how you deal with push to talk. It would be great to transmit by clicking some real hardware key on the tablet.

Aww I wish somebody created just an very easy Android radar client for VATSIM, at least for TWRs

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Be sure that ES does not support Metro/Modern user interface. It can be run on Win8.1, but strictly on desktop mode only.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

That's understood Gergely, Thank you. I'm about to take the plunge. Other possible considerations are:-

no wired network connection - need a good reliable wireless.

Needs an adaptor cable (mini display port) to connect an external screen.

Power cable connection is on the side and magnetic. I think it could be a bit iffy, if using it for those really long controlling sessions where the battery won't last!

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

• 4 weeks later...
Syam Haque 1161585
Posted
Posted

I've been running Euroscope 3.1d on my Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet with Windows 8.1 and it runs without any issues. As Gergely mentioned, it will only work if the tablet supports the Desktop mode.

VATSIM Middle East

Syam Haque - 1161585

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Well I took the plunge! The good news is that Input Director works OK with 8.1 so I can still use my other computer to display charts and so on, running the track ball mouse and wireless keyboard over all the screens. ES runs on the tablet with a 22 in screen attached via mini display port adaptor. The USB headset and foot switch worked fine through a USB 2 hub.

I found a display port adaptor considerably cheaper than the Microsoft one. Pity GVCCS doesn't work now! I can use the touch screen for Teamspeak and possibly other things like electronic flight strips.

The main thing is, there are lots of things plugged in to it so I am working on a secure way to fix it to the desk as it's not heavy enough to stay put under its own weight.

For flying, I hope to use it for an FMC - vasFMC can be used remotely like that with FS running on the tower.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK