You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX: TAS and ground speed

Merik Nanish 1184142

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that my ground speed (GS) is always significantly larger than my TAS when I fly at high altitudes, regardless of my direction of the flight. For instance, with a CRJ I can reach a maximum of 330 knots (before it alarms for overspeed) but that always translates to 460 knots of GS.

Is that an FSX mistake? As far as I understand it TAS + winds = GS so either FSX [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes there is always a 130 knot wind in favor of my direction of flight, or it is showing my IAS instead of TAS? (Note that it does read "TAS" in the navigation panel) (Also note that when I press SHIFT+Z, I see 330 KIAS WIND 319 Mag @ 6ks or something to that effect).

Any explanation is highly appreciated.

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

where are you looking to get your TAS? the speed tape shows Indicated, not TAS

screenshots may help

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

Here are two screenshots. Both captured when I was level at 12000 feet. One when I was flying heading 338, the other when flying 158. As you can see the wind was 252 at 22 knots. I intentionally flied perpendicular to the wind, so the effect of wind would be removed. Still, you see that the TAS (and the speed indicated on the left) is always around 50 knots less than the ground speed, regardless of direction.

21e57gl.png

2ag11yd.png

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

Matthew Jessick 1179517
Posted
Posted

There is a FSX default CRJ-700 update/addon that adds a wind measurement to the MFD, amongst several fixes.