You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

P3D v.2 pilot client guide

Robert Bressert

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted (edited)

Would it be wise to include a pilot client guide for P3D v.2 in the Quick Start Guide for new pilots, or to include a sticky in the Squawkbox and FSInn help threads in the Members helping Members section in these forums?

Edited by Guest

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

nope, cause neither fully support it at the moment, theyll work, but takes a lot of effort usually. FSINN requires the use of a payware addon to make P3D run in legacy mode to get it to work, not about to recommend payware to get something free to work. one of the new clients being worked on is supposed to have P3D support out of the box, thatll be done when thats available

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Although as people get more experience with P3Dv2 and I see trends regarding issues, tips, and tricks, I'll certainly add appropriate content to the SB tips and tricks guide.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

I can see your point E, but I'm not saying we should recommend any payware addon. Just putting the information out there for people to have is not the same as making a recommendation. It just seems with this latest release of P3D there will be more and more pilots using it. It would be helpful to have that information available on our forum, or somewhere.

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

A couple things. Getting FSinn to work with P3D V2 was simple and did not require a ton of work. It took me less than a minute. Yes it requires a payware addon, but I dont know why the program is being demonized because you have to pay 12 bucks for it. Silly.

The developer spent a lot of time and energy making that program so that we could enjoy things like vatsim and FSX addons without needing a degree in engineering. I applaud him for that, and gladly paid the 12 dollars to be able to fly on vatsim before the new client comes out. P3d v2 is a big step forward and coupled with vatsim, makes an amazing sim experience. It's no different to than supporting payware aircraft to enhance the sim while on vatsim. No different at all.

The program is called P3d Migration tool. Once installed, make sure you have the "enable virtual fsx" tab clicked. Re-install FSInn Copilot and FSInn 1.3. The install will act as if it is overwriting the FSX install... this is normal. Do not delete it from your FSX. Once installed, under windows start menu, navigate to Lockeed Martin/ P3d, and click on the P3d Legacy Mode exe tab. P3d will start, and whala! You have FSinn.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

not demonizing it at all, the program does what its supposed to do, no doubt about it

just principal. i wont advertise a payware product which could possibly cause some users to think they need to purchase something or cause them to think they need to pay to fly on here. not going down that road. if something free comes up ill happily add it to the list.

if the admins decide otherwise ill leave it up to them if theyll allow it. but it wont be from me

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
i wont advertise a payware product which could possibly cause some users to think they need to purchase something or cause them to think they need to pay to fly on here. not going down that road.

I think you need to give our users a tad more credit. Every simulator I have used to fly on vatsim for over 10 years has cost me money... so in essence yes, one will need to pay something to fly on vatsim. My point is I think your reasoning for not wanting to help others get connected is a bit over the top. Just my .02

Keep it simple. All you have to say is FSInn is supported and available at no cost for the FSX, FS9, and Xplane platforms. Those using P3dv2 will have to wait until the new freeware client is available. until then, the only workaround for P3d v2 is by using a separate addon that must be purchased from a non vatsim affiliated developer.

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info on how to get FSInn working in P3D. While I agree we should try to keep the connection part free it is still good to have this information available for those that want to fly online using P3D.

847924.png

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

I suggest we let people decide for themselves. If you communicate what the options are you're not advertising anything. Of course the new pilot clients will make this a non-issue. But till then....

• 1 month later...
Stephen Odgaard
Posted
Posted
A couple things. Getting FSinn to work with P3D V2 was simple and did not require a ton of work. It took me less than a minute. Yes it requires a payware addon, but I dont know why the program is being demonized because you have to pay 12 bucks for it. Silly.

The developer spent a lot of time and energy making that program so that we could enjoy things like vatsim and FSX addons without needing a degree in engineering. I applaud him for that, and gladly paid the 12 dollars to be able to fly on vatsim before the new client comes out. P3d v2 is a big step forward and coupled with vatsim, makes an amazing sim experience. It's no different to than supporting payware aircraft to enhance the sim while on vatsim. No different at all.

The program is called P3d Migration tool. Once installed, make sure you have the "enable virtual fsx" tab clicked. Re-install FSInn Copilot and FSInn 1.3. The install will act as if it is overwriting the FSX install... this is normal. Do not delete it from your FSX. Once installed, under windows start menu, navigate to Lockeed Martin/ P3d, and click on the P3d Legacy Mode exe tab. P3d will start, and whala! You have FSinn.

Any drawbacks to running P3D in legacy mode, like issues with true P3D addons?

/Stephen

BR

Stephen Slot Odgaard
VATSCA C3 Member since 2004

P3D v 5: Jeehell A320, Skalarki...
MSFS w FlyByWire A320 mod, VR Reverb G2

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Nope

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Stephen Odgaard
Posted
Posted

Thanks.

I seem to have FSInn freeze at click of CP after correcting the chat window issue. I can also read about an unresolved issue on the migration tool support forum.

However running it outside P3D in legacy mode seems to work fine.

BR

Stephen Slot Odgaard
VATSCA C3 Member since 2004

P3D v 5: Jeehell A320, Skalarki...
MSFS w FlyByWire A320 mod, VR Reverb G2

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

I always run mine out side, however i have two screens so that makes it easier.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member