You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX or X-plane

Rick Gallatin 1275243

Rick Gallatin 1275243
Posted
Posted

I have been using MS FSX (actually started with 2002 way back when), now suddenly FSX has stopped working, it just goes to not responding and never loads, no error messages, nothing.

I have done all the standard troubleshooting, uninstalled all addons, renames the fsx.cfg and logfile.bin files, uninstalled FSX and the addons, repaired my registry and reinstalled FSX; it still will not load and yes FSX has permission to run as the administrator.

I am using Win 7 64 bit and my drivers were updated today also.

I am getting very frustrated with Microsoft and am looking at X-Flight, is it worth the money, is it similar to FSX? Any real use reviews would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...
Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Look at Xplane aviators facebook page. Go to www.x-plane.org and join there for up to the minute information.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Adam Boffa 1171726
Posted
Posted

I would get the X-plane demo and give it a try. I think you'll be impressed. I still use FSX because I have great models for it, but going forward, I won't be expanding on my FSX library. Too much fight to get it to run and it's still very poor in comparison. The latest addons are too much for FSX, and most people that have i7's overclocked are still getting poor performance. With X-plane, you can forget about edits like HIMEMFIX, uiautomationcore.dll, VC rain fix, registry fix, all the cfg tweaks, a growing dll.xml file that loads everything regardless of weather you need it. You'll be happy to just install, and run. And having active development and support speaks for itself.

Yes, X-plane has a smaller library of addons in comparison, but it's growing and there are some really nice ones. And, you'll also be surprised by the number of FSX tools that work with X-plane. Using XPUIPC, you can use just about any program that talks to FSX using FSUIPC; so FSCommander, the Saitek SPAD drivers, Plan-G, EF[Mod - Happy Thoughts] and so on.