You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Does restarting FSX in between flights prevent OOM?

Darrol Larrok 1140797

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I just got an OOM, which has not happened to me before. Generally, what can be done to prevent this in the future, and specifically, will restarting FSX in between flights prevent these?

The error received was, specifically, "Your computer has run out of available memory..."

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

it helps, but i wouldnt say itll completely eliminate it as it can still occur.

i tend to do it especially after any extended flight over 3 hours if i plan to do a second leg just to be safe. although it can still rear its ugly head, especially with addons that have memory leaks

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

If it makes a difference, it's probably why I had this issue. I normally restart FSX between flights, but didn't this time.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
If it makes a difference, it's probably why I had this issue. I normally restart FSX between flights, but didn't this time.

You're drawing conclusions based on a sample set of 1? You're braver than I thought.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Luke, do you have any advice for preventing recurrance of this OOM?

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Fwiw we flew the 777 sim around the world for 7 days 24 hours 45 legs, and only restarted the FSX computer 5 times in that week, it never missed a beat.

From what I gather FSX can be stable set up correctly, the big issues seem to be localised to individual operators.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Luke, do you have any advice for preventing recurrance of this OOM?

Like I said, I don't draw conclusions from a sample set of 1.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Martin Tait 908838
Posted
Posted

I get the OOM error all the time (I didn't used to however!), usually when I do my return flight to Heathrow as the airports I typically fly to have no add-on scenery.

It seems to cause a problem if I change views from panel view to VC for example, but if I keep it in panel view I can land safely and taxi to the gate without flight sim freezing with the OOM message.

It's not ideal but it works for me...

British Airways | B737 | EGLL

logo-red-small.png