You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

X Plane 10 VCs

Darrol Larrok 1140797

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted (edited)

I tried the X plane demo, and was very disappointed in the virtual cockpit quality. The textures seemed very low-res. Are any better VCs available than default? Can XP10 support a decent VC?

Edited by Guest
sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Just like FSX, the default planes are just of low quality. There are some great acft in both the freeware and payware community of xplane. Hundreds of videos to go by. The latest payware acft seem to all have VCs, you can start with Carenado, the A320neo, T7 all seem to have gr8 VCs. Is it PMDG quality? IDK, it's a matter of personal opinion, I would say only opinion that will matter is yours, so check them out.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Sounds good, when PMDG's secret X plane project is revealed, I believe I'll buy XP10

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

With some more investigation, it seems there are some good VCs, but the main issue, at least as far as GA in XPlane, is the bad gps. Looks like XP10 does have a good future though

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

FSX is still my primary sim, and I have the C210, the Seneca and the C208 for XP, love them all. since I use XP only as /A I really don't know about GPS in them, but reality gps has XP version, not sure if it's the same license. And if you managed to update its nav data then that solves your GPS requirements.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, it would appear that the RXP GPS doesn't work with XP10, and the RXP has ditched their product. Hopefully, XP10 will get a good GPS and seasons, so I can ditch FSX.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Ah sorry, wasn't aware of that change...let's hope someone makes it better.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

SimAVIO from FlyThisSim will give you a wide range of avionics that run independently of the sim, but talk to X-Plane.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I sent X-Plane an email, and had a pleasant conversation. It looks that will have to be left to add-on developers, at least til XP-11, and SimAvio appears to only work with SimAvio's planes. However, I'm optimistic XP development will improve dramatically after PMDG releases their XP project. I'm thinking I'll probably wind up in P3D first though.

John Wiesenfeld
Posted
Posted

The EADT project has a serviceable freeware GPS unit here:

http://www.benedikt-stratmann.de/index.php?kln90b

It's based on the KLN90B GPS, not the Garmin. There has been some discussion on the org about how it might be installed into XP VCs, but I'm not too sure how far this has gone. Installation is a bit fussy, but it seems to avoid the 32/64 bit barrier by making use of lua. Others will no doubt be able to comment on the feasibility of this approach.

If you're looking to simulate a modern cockpit, this isn't the solution, but for aircraft of an earlier period, it may do the trick.

John

PS I'm not sure if it's sensible to hold one's breath until PMDG releases an XP product. If VATSIM statistics are in any way a reliable gauge of the flight sim marketplace, XP doesn't come close to representing 5% of the total. Sometimes software developers make a pre-announcement just to dissuade others.

John Wiesenfeld

ZNY - C1

FAA IFR/SEL in a galaxy long ago and far away

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I'm interested in more modern aircraft. PMDG has announced they have one in development, so I'm optimistic. Add-on development is needed for X-Plane to gain a larger share, and FSX isn't sustainable. It's what I'm waiting for.

• 2 months later...
Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi Darrol

I'm not sure if you have found out more information since this initial thread but you will be pleased to know that there are several very good (PMDG quality) aircraft available for Xplane. I have fully converted to xplane and will not be going back to the buggy FSX.

Can i suggest you have a look at Xplane aviators facebook page, you might also have a look at www.x-plane.org and its [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated forums for all the answers you need. Any questions just shout i will try and answer them if I can.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Hey there,

Thanks for the info! It does look like there is some great stuff, but the sticking point for me is still GPS. The default X-Plane GPS is somehow even worse than FSX's default GPS. I'd also like to see a 737 for X-Plane.

Besides that though, X-Plane is looking great. I'll probably move over in the future, for now FSX is still functioning very well for me.

Philip Whitehead 1223066
Posted
Posted

The default B58 is a decent model. The 172 is awful as are most others. I too have converted to X-plane and I must admit it take some getting used to.

FSX- X-Plane 10 - Intel Core i5 3570k at 4.2Ghz - MSi Z77 Mpower mobo - EVGA GTX660 Superclocked 3gb - 8gig of Samsung Green DDR3 at 1866mhz