You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ASE Crashes When Trying to Load Sector File

Mathew Magera 931028

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted

I just got a new PC. It happens to have Windows 8.1. Now, while that may quickly set you off, please understand my problem. I've been able to get VRC, ES, Squawkbox, FS, TS and various other programs working fine. My problem is ASE. When I bring it up, if I try to load a sector file I get a message saying a problem has occured and the program must close. I've tried multiple sector files and it does the same thing. I don't understand why this particular task has created a problem because these same sector files load just fine in VRC.

Any help?

Matthew Jessick 1179517
Posted
Posted

Where did you install the ASE program? If the program is very old, it might work better if it were installed out of the normal program files hierarchy. For example, into your Docomeents folder. This is of course, a security risk (Windows no longer prevents the program from changing files in its install location. Since writing situation files might be considered the reason for being for ASE... ) If you trust the program, you might try this.

It is possible that the attempts by Microsoft to coddle programs that disobey the now-ancient guidelines such as writing output files to non-sensitive locations have failed in this case. So installing it to a place that is not protected might remove that potential issue.

On another topic, .sct and .sct2 writers have over the years developed ingenious ways to stretch far beyond the allowed formatting specified for .sct and .sct2 files. I have several sector files (with obvious out-of-spec lines) that VRC will open and ASE won't. VRC apparently uses Advanced Alien Technology to guess the meaning of some of the out-of-spec shortcuts users have developed over the years. I got tired of trying to outguess the users in sector file manipulation software I've written for myself, and in those cases that were too annoying, I've just fixed the sector file to better match the spec.

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted

I think I've realized ASE will load any sector file that has next to nothing in it. Or, it will load my vZAU sector file as long as I have everything turned off (which of course means I can't see anything on the screen). Once I try to turn anything on, it stops working.

Now that I've installed FS9, this happens with add-on aircraft too. I cannot get an add-on aircraft to work as it gives me the same "A problem has caused this program to stop working" and it closes out. Super frustrating.

Craig Phillips 947617
Posted
Posted

Hi Mathew,

Do the sector files you are trying to load work on another machine? Would you be able to send me the sector file so I could have a look?

Check your Event Viewer on your machine, it might give some clues to why it is crashing out.

Regards

Craig

Craig Phillips

Senior Student - UK South East - Mentor

Developer: Aircraft Situation Editor (ASE)

Bill McCoy 1007029
Posted
Posted

Is it possible that this is a Windows 8 issue? I am having the same issue on the laptop I bought (Win8).

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Have you tried loading it in compatibility mode?

ASE works fine on my Win8 device.

Cheers!

RP

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted

I've tried compatibility mode, it runs it on Windows 7 settings. It will start up just as it always does, but if I try to load a sector file that is more than 300KB, it crashes. So far, I can get BGR and OMA to work, that's it.