You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

36770km in a Beech 200 (Challenger 2014 Event)

matkovic adrian 897734

matkovic adrian 897734
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I'm calling out for a "few good men" who would like to take part in a world tour/ charity event

About the event:

Fly-For-Kids is the official name of the 2014 Challenger edition, where each participant will make a sponsor donate to "Thomas cook Children's Charity" whenever a movement is registered at a sponsored airport. In other words sponsor XYZ has agreed to donate a certain amout of money to the charity. XYZ decided to sponsor VHHH airport, where each take-off and/or landing will give 1EUR to the charity. XYZ also agreed a maximum amount with the organisers. The goal of participants is to reach the maximum amount by "flying". Individuals can also become partners of the event by donations.

For seven years in a row a small group of people from fly-sea.com have created a yearly event called "Challenger". Taking place after New Year the "challenge" is a non-precision rally type event over 20 airfield in 4 main stages. GPS and IFR are forbidden, forcing each individual to navigate "old-shool". The airfields, ranging from international airports to strips of dirt, requier agile aircraft putting GA in the spot light.

The organisers have taken us across Africa in 2012 with the Trans - African - Challenge, from Kenya to Madagascar via Tanzania. In 2013 we hopped across New Zealand. All in all it was quite enjoyable to say the least!

The BEST news : organizers also allow for Teams to apply!

I'm very much interested in taking the Beech 200 across the globe and am actively looking for individuals who would be interested in participating in the 2014 Event as a team!

The 36770km or 19854.2nm would be divided into 20-22 sectors operated by any of the team members, while trying to set the world circomenavigation record online in the FAI given aircraft caterory (under 6T MTOW). The organizers would extend the official end periode (22JAN14) to allow for the team to make it back to the point of origine.

map?P=LSGG-LMML-LGSR-OEMA-OMDB-VABB-VCBI-VGHS-VHHH-RORE-RJCC-UHMM-UHMA-PANC-CYZT-KSFO-KHLC-CYAM-CYUL-CYDP-BGKK-EGPO-LSGG&MS=wls&MR=1800&MX=720x360&PM=-

So here it is, if anyone would like to team up even for one sector, please don't hesitate to PM or reply below. Event starts 10JAN14.

Blue skies & Happy 2014 to all

Adrian

Edited by Guest

Steve Moerdyk 858984
Posted
Posted

Hi Adrian,

Just to clarify, as a TEAM, would we all need to fly each sector? Obviously I cannot commit to that many consecutive flights but would be willing to look into helping with a couple...

I look forward to your response! I don't fly GA aircraft enough and this would give me a great opportunity to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist!

858984.png

matkovic adrian 897734
Posted
Posted

Hi Steve,

No obligation mate

The plan would be to lay out the "23" sectors and have team members pick them.

Even if you can fly only one sector, you're more than welcome to do so

Based on team members' allowed time, a schedule will be drawn to try and predict the position of the aircraft on a given time and date.

---

I'll also add that this particular edition of Challenger, allows for all aircraft types and flight are IFR, as opposed to previous challenger events. My previous post was misleading. More information on http://fly-sea.com/challenger.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Steve Moerdyk 858984
Posted
Posted

Adrian,

Feel free to count me in.

I can definitely fly a few sectors..just let me know what I need to do next and we can go from there...

Regards,

Steve

858984.png

matkovic adrian 897734
Posted
Posted

Great!

Well, now we need to register on the challenger website more info via PM.

Thanks for joining in Steve

[edit= The invitation is still open. The more the merrier right?

Should anyone else wanted to join or just had questions just shoot!]

Brgds,

Adrian

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Having participated since 2009 in their Scandic event, I was sad I wouldn't be able to do so this year as I can't stay online that long for any of the legs, and it was too long to complete even in broken down segments. But this certainly gives me a great opportunity. Count me in, I can participate in a few legs. I will PM you my availability timings.

Now, I have to find a good B200 for FSX!!

Cheers!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

matkovic adrian 897734
Posted
Posted

Welcome Charan!

I highly recommend this Flight 1 BE20 for FSX and the legendary Aeroworx BE20 for FS9.

Thanks for joining mate

PM in action already I see!

Brgds,

Adrian

Steve Moerdyk 858984
Posted
Posted

I was going to ask the same thing! Looking for a B200 as well for FSX. I will check that one out!

858984.png

matkovic adrian 897734
Posted
Posted

You can also try the Carenado B200, Very very Nice!

Steve Moerdyk 858984
Posted
Posted

I have the Carenado ... It might be a bit too complex for me...I like to keep things basic..haha AKA "free"...I will look around.

858984.png

matkovic adrian 897734
Posted
Posted

Hi folks,

A couple of good news:

Team "Kare Bears" is up and flying the below route:

LSGG-LMML-LGSR-HESH-OERK-OMDB-OPKC-VABB-VCBI-VOBZ-VGHS-VVNB-VHHH-RORE-RJTK-UHSS-UHMM-UHMA-PANC-CYZT-KSFO-KSLC-KHLC-CYAM-CYUL-CYDP-BGKK-BIRK-EGPO-LSGG

Congrats to Charan for having flown the events' first flight and good luck to Steve for his upcoming leg to LGSR

Take part in the adventure and help us out by sponsoring the team or route by route, or the event. All donations lead to the justgiving.com/skyglobe.

Even a tiny dollar or four quarters will make a difference

Join us and fly along our BE20 on a route across the world, on any of the 29 sectors. Follow us on the Challenger homepage and see where we're at!

So, come fly with "Kare Bears"

Blue skies!

Adrian