You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC

Sasta Sudhakaran 1278918

Sasta Sudhakaran 1278918
Posted
Posted

When flying on vatsim and instructed by the atc to do the following: descend to FL200 20nm before TNT. How do I do that in the NGX?

Thanks

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

You could add a custom waypoint into the FMC using for example the Place Bearing Distance method.

For example: if your next 2 waypoints are WELIN TNT and there is a 300° track and 56 miles between them. Then you could add a custom waypoint being WELIN300.0/036.0 into the FMC and put that in between WELIN and TNT. It could eventually be TNT150.0/020.0

Then you would put FL200 beside that waypoint on the legs page then fly with VNAV.

New York ARTCC

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

It gets more fun with the fix isn't on the route. For example, take the BARET4 arrival into KSAN. If you're coming in from TNP/EED/PKE, the crossing restriction is "cross two five miles northeast of the Poggi VOR at and maintain one two thousand."

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
It gets more fun with the fix isn't on the route. For example, take the BARET4 arrival into KSAN. If you're coming in from TNP/EED/PKE, the crossing restriction is "cross two five miles northeast of the Poggi VOR at and maintain one two thousand."

It actually is on the route. Follow it southeast of BARET . Yes, it may not be if you're landing to the west, but you could still figure out a place to drop the point in the FMC.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
It actually is on the route. Follow it southeast of BARET . Yes, it may not be if you're landing to the west, but you could still figure out a place to drop the point in the FMC.
Guess I should have clarified what I meant... IFEHI is 21 NM from PGY, so the crossing restriction is just a bit before that on the leg from KARRO to IFEHI. That point, however, isn't depicted on the chart by any radial from PGY.

To make it easy on any pilot who gets confused over that, I usually just re-issue it as "cross IFEHI at and maintain..." and call it a day. However, I'm still curious as to how you'd put the original crossing restriction into an FMC. Guesstimate?

Daniel Parkin
Posted
Posted
When flying on vatsim and instructed by the atc to do the following: descend to FL200 20nm before TNT. How do I do that in the NGX?

Thanks

You're allowed to use your brain, you don't have to rely on your FMC.

FLs to lose x4 = nm needed to descend.

eg: FL350 - FL200 = 15 x 4 = 60nm needed. Start descending at least 80 DME the TNT VOR. We don't mind if you're level for a handful of miles beforehand.

1.png

VATSIM-UK C3

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted
Guess I should have clarified what I meant... IFEHI is 21 NM from PGY, so the crossing restriction is just a bit before that on the leg from KARRO to IFEHI. That point, however, isn't depicted on the chart by any radial from PGY.

To make it easy on any pilot who gets confused over that, I usually just re-issue it as "cross IFEHI at and maintain..." and call it a day. However, I'm still curious as to how you'd put the original crossing restriction into an FMC. Guesstimate?

I'd imagine IFEHI010/004 would cover it, keep in mind that fixes in parenthesis are not valid for ATC use (as per the key/legend on enroute charts).

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
keep in mind that fixes in parenthesis are not valid for ATC use (as per the key/legend on enroute charts).
Absolutely - it's about as valid as turning right on the LOOP6. (In other words, don't be surprised to see it on VATSIM anyway. )

• 3 weeks later...
Andy McCall
Posted
Posted

I love the way a UK related question has been hijacked by our friends across the pond...

Cheers

Andy McCall

S3

UK

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

The question posed was in regards to an ATC instruction that is not unique to the UK airspace. Thus, the discussion that followed was similarly not restricted to UK airspace.

You might try actually reading threads next time before you revive them without adding any value to them. Just a thought.

Andy McCall
Posted
Posted

And the bait was taken....

Cheers

Andy McCall

S3

UK