You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Departure on...

Sasta Sudhakaran 1278918

Sasta Sudhakaran 1278918
Posted
Posted

I usually fly in the UK and Europe but just a few days ago I was flying in the US and the Delivery Controller gave me my clearance and said "departure on XXX.XXX" What does this mean? Do I read that back to the controller

John Wiesenfeld
Posted
Posted

That's shorthand for "Departure frequency nnn.xx", and yes, please read it back.

Once you're airborne, the tower controller will hand you off to whatever position is handling departure on that frequency.

Best wishes,

John

John Wiesenfeld

ZNY - C1

FAA IFR/SEL in a galaxy long ago and far away

Sasta Sudhakaran 1278918
Posted
Posted

K thx

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
please read it back.
It couldn't hurt. Note, however, that if you were going for realism, then you might not want to read it back (unless you didn't understand it).

Busy airports (i.e. KLAX or KATL) specifically advise pilots something along the lines of: Upon receipt of ATC clearance, read back only your call sign and transponder code unless you have a question.

You'll definitely want to have the frequency down, though, as it's perfectly common for you to simply hear Tower say "N123, contact depature, g'day."

Scott DeWoody
Posted
Posted

Actually, you are supposed to read back anything that was not in your request for clearance.. unless the controller specifically tells you it is not needed. ie.... initial altitude, departure frequency, and squawk code.

(ducking at all the @#$%# being thrown my way)

Scott DeWoody

CEO - American Virtual Airlines

joinava dot org

y572_1.jpg

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
unless the controller specifically tells you it is not needed.
... or the ATIS (KLAX) or SID (KATL) specifically tells you not to do so. Or you as the pilot feel as though you understood your clearance and decide to simply respond with "roger" and wait to see if ATC doesn't mind.

(In other words, reference the discussion that played out in this thread.)

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

The only thing required in the US to an IFR clearance is an acknowledgement. So if you really want to keep it simple, and you understood everything, you can reply back with anything that clearly means you understood and acknowledge it, for example "Roger, XYZ123". The UK is the exact opposite, as they mandate practically everything even down to the QNH/altimeter be read back.

Sasta Sudhakaran 1278918
Posted
Posted

Thx guys